Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violence in Games reduces real world agression - FACT!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Haha, that article backs pretty quickly away from the headline, and starts to meander and generalise to the point where they're not really talking about anything by the end.

My favourite line: "There was an assumption among reports that because a game didn’t include any violence that it wouldn’t make people aggressive. But just look at people who play Tetris and how angry they get."

As hardcore as Tetris is, I find Street Fighter makes me way angrier than other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

It's not the violence of Street Fighter which makes the blood boil..

IT'S ALL THE STUPID ****ING BULL****.

AND THE LAG!!1!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lag is pretty rage-inducing if it causes dropped combos & slow reads. Stop trying to pretend it's not an issue by joking about it. ggpo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

ggpo's bollox and all.

Someone increase the speed of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Anyone with two braincells to rub together already knows onscreen violence correlates to precisely jack ****.

Few games send me into a frothing rage quite like Mario Kart (y'know that cutesy innocent game for kids).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I was looking into this the other day and read that in the US, the last 30 years or so (co-incidently about the same age as video games in general) has shown a massive downward spike in juvenile crime rates especially in violent crimes.

That is available on the US's national statistics site, which should be reputable enough as data. And therefore I've proven video games make people more law-abiding :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

ayjayirl wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/violent-games-reduce-realworld-aggression-ndash-doom-creator-2837563.html

Thought this was interesting enough to share. Personally I think there is **** all of a correlation for anyone who is of sane mind but SF can actually make me angry (I'm sure Ry can attest to that) and we have all witnessed saltyness (Cog) in its purist form.... Are FG's different to other violence in games?

I can get really salty at home when I lose online to an inferior player, and then I go on tilt. And if I lose some games I should win, I won't turn off the console until I win a game, and when you face good players when in a poor state of mind, that could take a while.

So now, If I am coming towards the end of an online session, I stop when I lose 2-in-a-row and watch the replays to see why I lost. It forces me to deal with the annoyance in a better way. After my recent live performances, you'd think I'd be able to handle losing 2, 3 or 4 in a row lol.

But SF is NOTHING compared to the rage inducing pile of sh!te that is FIFA. I have a smashed controller at home that is testament to the day I gave up that game. Opponents quitting all the time, losing games due to a stupid "comeback" system, and FIFA players being, in general the worst class of online opponent in any game. I'm even getting angry thinking about it!:mad:

Never murdered anyone in real life so clearly games are good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Well as has been said, losing to lag is infuriating, losing to someone you know you're better than also angrifying or losing because of some stupid mistake on your part is the same. But if i lose to someone who just played better than me i laugh about it more often than not.

As to the content of games...i don't think that content can really have an effect on your psyche. I mean obviously if you've played Manhunt every day for the last 5 years there's something wrong with regards your mental state but some people have sadistic personalities, games don't really cause that. To prove a point, i don't jump down pipes and eat mushrooms, i don't go outside and cut grass with a sword looking for money and i really can't see myself getting into a row with some scumbags somewhere and testing the viability of a spinning lariat in a real fight :P

I mean if games really effected your brain functions in order to make you more violent wouldn't they also effect other things like having a hero complex and going round trying to save people from muggings and the like. That is the most common theme in games 'hero saves the damsel in distress'. Yet i can hardly see this on the news "a man saves a woman from a burning building today, it was thought he got his inspiration from playing grand theft auto which had a mission to save a woman from a burning building"

Also why don't you ever hear of books causing people to be more violent. Movies and games you hear about all the time, but not books. How is it that conveying violence through text has less effects on our brain than through moving images.

To my mind it has no effect one way or the other with regards 'violence'. Violent people may enact some of the violent things they see in games, but they would still be violent people without the games. The actual only effect i could claim to notice is that people who play games a lot in any sort of competitive way tend to not be bullies in general because it's a way to express that competitive instinct without real life violence, aggression, bullying or whatever. Though i would say the same is true of sports players or musicians or anyone who has an outlet for their competitiveness or aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Since I came along to the scene over a year ago, I have noticed a very sharp decline in my anger towards the world in general. Before that, I felt that no one I knew was on my wavelength, that there was something wrong with me and that being being a p!sshead and do stuff you don't like for a living was the only way ( OK, I'm generalizing a lot but you get the point. ) Life kind of sucked back then for me and I felt very angry internally because of that and wanted to lash out a lot.

Because of SF, I have calmed down considerably and all that anger has faded. Maybe its because I finally had something to let my anger out and I found myself in a community of people that not just played and enjoyed the game but were also actually on a similar wavelength to me. This was an enormous breakthrough for me personally.

Since then, I've noticed the knock effect this has had on my life, I've become more socially laid back, connected with people in my former college class a lot easier and had begun to do things without any real hidden agenda.

Of course, I can get salty as heck playing ranked mode and really don't like losing tournament matches. At the same time, that has thought me that having friendly rivalries is something to be encouraged as it makes you level up so that you can beat them which in turn causes a chain reaction and the whole community levels up as a result.

I just posting as an example of how video games have actually benefited me personally. I'm sure there are plenty of similar stories out there.

Advertisement