Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should traffic laws be further enforced for cyclists?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Not sure about "further" enforcement, but there should certainly be better enforcement - which does not equate to harsher or more frequent punishment for ne'er do wells!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

It was just sarcasm, you can't honestly be advocating removing all the traffic lights from the city??! My point was that you can't be above the law, otherwise everyone should be allowed flout that law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It was just sarcasm, you can't honestly be advocating removing all the traffic lights from the city??! My point was that you can't be above the law, otherwise everyone should be allowed flout that law.

When I lived in Maynooth the village lights failed for a few days and traffic flowed more freely than it did before. That's no excuse to break the lights when they are functioning though.

@dearg lady, your implication, although not deliberate is that those of us who obey the rules are a little dimmer than you are. I'm not inclined to agree. I'll reiterate, if everyone adopted your attitude, the result would be chaotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

dearg lady wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has said that.. :confused:

If you think that you can break the rules because you can make your own judgement in assessing a danger, you imply that people who obey the rules at all times are dumbheads. And if you only stick to the rules because you are afraid of being fined, then your motivation is not the security of every road user, but your own pocket. The lady who knocked me off my bike was making a judgement based on what she could see, which turned out to be the wrong one. No one was around to fine her should she break the stop sign, otherwise she would have duly stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

It was just sarcasm, you can't honestly be advocating removing all the traffic lights from the city??!
    No, I'd say about 10-15% of them do a useful job.

My point was that you can't be above the law, otherwise everyone should be allowed flout that law.
    Agreed - assuming the same circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

why have red lights at all? what a waste of money.

everyone should just decide when they think it's safe to go.
    I read an article on this in Time years ago. road signs, lights etc were removed from a town in (I think) Holland. It was very successful at the time, but I would like to see soem updates on it, and also don't know how well it would translate to larger cities.
    I think it was Norway or Sweden but I think there's far too many traffic lights. I saw another youtube video of lights down in London and there were no pile ups. The Parade lights in Kilkenny were down often in while the work was being done to the Mayor walk and again, no accidents. Traffic lights cause really bad traffic and in a lot of cases a roundabout would be far more ideal.

We have way too many lights in this country IMHO. For example, for folks that know the Dublin northside, there are 13 sets of lights in the 1km between the new bridge at Blackhall Place and the Tesco at the top of Manor St.
    I was in a taxi a few years back and a taxi driver said that the company that was responsible for putting in all of the traffic lights were a big donator to one Ray Burke. As a txi driver told me this I assume it was Gospel truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Around the time the Luas went in there was frequent problems with the traffic lights at Suir Road bridge. There were no accidents because nobody (except cyclists) was moving.

I'd be interested to see an experiment where all the traffic lights were turned off in Dublin, but I'd want to see it from a different city. However it worked in other cities in Dublin I suspect we'd some roads become impassable to pedestrians and a massive increase in fender benders and road rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

coolbeans wrote: »
    @dearg lady, your implication, although not deliberate is that those of us who obey the rules are a little dimmer than you are. I'm not inclined to agree. I'll reiterate, if everyone adopted your attitude, the result would be chaotic.

well my genuine apologies for implying that, that is honestly not what I meant. We all see ridiculous rules around us all the time, I just like to push people to question it more.
    Anyways, i've gone way off topic, got caught up in the discussion, sorry OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Lumen wrote: »
    Meme reference, for the uninitiated.

Cyclists, Go use the footpad

LOL, what a great thread full of so many idiots posting ridiculousness

as for the rest of this:
    train_wreck-with-fire.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of, will add to it after my cycle home! :P
    Stopping in front of Advanced Stop Lines (e.g. on the red boxes for cyclists in front of the stop line.) Well over 50% of motorists do this, and it is entirely illegal, 2 penalty points, and utterly unenforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    Stopping in front of Advanced Stop Lines (e.g. on the red boxes for cyclists in front of the stop line.) Well over 50% of motorists do this, and it is entirely illegal, 2 penalty points, and utterly unenforced.

Haven't checked the law here, but in the UK it is not illegal to stop past the ASL, it is only illegal to cross the ASL when the light is red.

Similarly, it is not illegal to stop in a box junction if you're turning right and only obstructed by oncoming traffic.

I await correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Well, I believe it's illegal to cross the stop line when the light is amber "unless it would be unsafe to do so". Funny how such a seemingly innocent clause effectively cancelled the entire rule.

I think you are correct about yellow boxes. Although I believe the actual yellow box is just highlighting where the junction is for those less than attentive people or those who are apt to conveniently forget the rules when it suits them. Every 'yellow box' rule is simply a junction rule that applies to every junction whether there is a yellow box or not.

As as aside I saw a particularly exotic maneuver by a car on the way in to work this morning. Two lanes, one straight ahead and one right turn only. Light is green for straight ahead, red for left. Car in left turn lane pulls out in front of me and moves in to straight ahead lane. The driver didn't indicate and left it until I was almost adjacent but I wasn't too suprised at that. They then shot down the straight ahead lane and turned left right in front of me (without indicating), cutting across the line of cars stopped at the red light and proceeding through the junction breaking the red light.

HivemindXX wrote: »

As as aside I saw a particularly exotic maneuver by a car on the way in to work this morning. Two lanes, one straight ahead and one right turn only. Light is green for straight ahead, red for left. Car in left turn lane pulls out in front of me and moves in to straight ahead lane. The driver didn't indicate and left it until I was almost adjacent but I wasn't too suprised at that. They then shot down the straight ahead lane and turned left right in front of me (without indicating), cutting across the line of cars stopped at the red light and proceeding through the junction breaking the red light.

The "I'm too important to wait with the likes of you plebs" manoeuvre. See that the odd time alright, it was endemic when I was over in the UAE

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

On the issue of speeding, looks like there's been a big upsurge in the numbers being done, according to today's Irish Times:
    The number of drivers getting penalty points for speeding this year is expected to far surpass 2010 with motorists in counties Clare, Kerry, Longford, Limerick and elsewhere already surpassing last year’s totals.

The sharp increase follows the introduction of more than 600 privately operated speed cameras around the country.

Almost 96,000 drivers have received penalty points on their licences for speeding from January to June this year. The figure is already over 70 per cent of the total for all of 2010, which was just over 131,000.

About time....

Rules I want inforced for cyclists:
    Stop at red lights (all of them)
    Wear high vis jackets / bands
    have front and back lights (back should be flashing)
    No cycling on footpaths. Cyclists can use footpaths but must dismount
    No counter-traffic cycling
    No smoking, eating, reading, texting (or making calls). You need both hands for a reason.

Improvments I want for cyclists:
    • Separate cycle lanes that actually make sense. I see many lanes that stop abruptly at junctions, or disappear mid-road. Along Fairview Park, they repainted a portion of the lane after the works (the lane is on the footpath) and mixed it up with the pedestrian lane, for that portion only so it's on the left at first and then on the right. It confuses the pedestrians and cyclists.
    • A system that allows cyclists to join a main road at a V junction. Eg: you cycle on a one lane road that merges with another road from the left. You suddenly end up in the middle of the 2 lanes road while you were on the left hand side of the one lane road before. What's best then? Cross the left lane to reach the left hand side of the road? Stay in the middle?
    • A system that allows cyclists to turn right on 2 lane roads when the cycle track is on the left hand side of the road. Eg: you cycle on the left hand side of a 2 lane road, the left lane goes straight while the right lane turns right. You need to take the right turn, how do you proceed? Cycle in the middle of the road? Extend your right arm to indicate and pray that the cars behind you will stop? Dismount and cross the road on foot?

Nanazolie wrote: »

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

In fairness that study was done on one of the lowest and most controversial speed limits in the country. Do you think they'd get the same results on an average stretch of road?

9 out of 10 drivers speed, I have to speed just to keep up, that's in the 50k zone that is most cities, main roads are prolly 50/50. Try driving around at 50k, you will have a queue behind you, same if you do 80k out in the country.

9 out of 10 speed up on amber.

the 1 out of 10 who don't are all in the blue rinse category.

It's hard to spot an irish pedestrian who doesn't jay walk, save on the really dangerous spots, but college green area is a great example of this. Even when there are pedestrian lights within a couple of feet people will jay walk rather than use them.

Jumping red lights at crossroads is plain dangerous given the speed people are pegging round in their cars, breaking a red to go left when there are no pedestrians should just be legalised.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

About time....

have front and back lights (back should be flashing)
    No cycling on footpaths. Cyclists can use footpaths but must dismount
    No smoking, eating, reading, texting (or making calls). You need both hands for a reason.

There is no legal requirement to wear high viz jackets or bands. And flashing lights are technically illegal. Although the government has said it will legistlate to allow for them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And flashing lights are technically illegal. Although the government has said it will legistlate to allow for them.
    I think flashing lights are not illegal as such, but are not "legal" either!

You are not committing an offence if you have a flashing light on during daytime, or in conjuction with a "legal" steady state one at nighttime

• Advertisement

About time....

Stop at red lights (all of them) valid
    Wear high vis jackets / bands don't be ridiculous, no need at all for that
    have front and back lights (back should be flashing) valid, but no need for specifically flashing
    No cycling on footpaths. Cyclists can use footpaths but must dismount valid too, though I do this a little bit in places
    No counter-traffic cycling why not, plenty of places when bus can do it and it's legall do able should the councils actually decide to provide for it on roads
    No smoking, eating, reading, texting (or making calls). You need both hands for a reason. :rolleyes:
    I also want all the above apart for the jacket and being able to eat/smoke enforced for motorists, here's hoping...
    Improvments I want for cyclists:
    • Separate cycle lanes that actually make sense. I see many lanes that stop abruptly at junctions, or disappear mid-road. Along Fairview Park, they repainted a portion of the lane after the works (the lane is on the footpath) and mixed it up with the pedestrian lane, for that portion only so it's on the left at first and then on the right. It confuses the pedestrians and cyclists.
    • A system that allows cyclists to join a main road at a V junction. Eg: you cycle on a one lane road that merges with another road from the left. You suddenly end up in the middle of the 2 lanes road while you were on the left hand side of the one lane road before. What's best then? Cross the left lane to reach the left hand side of the road? Stay in the middle?
    • A system that allows cyclists to turn right on 2 lane roads when the cycle track is on the left hand side of the road. Eg: you cycle on the left hand side of a 2 lane road, the left lane goes straight while the right lane turns right. You need to take the right turn, how do you proceed? Cycle in the middle of the road? Extend your right arm to indicate and pray that the cars behind you will stop? Dismount and cross the road on foot?
    all three of those are unneeded, proper use of roads and lanes and signalling are all that are required to safely deal with each point. Simple, no costly rebuilds required, no pointless unenforced laws required.

Beasty wrote: »
    I think flashing lights are not illegal as such, but are not "legal" either!

You are not committing an offence if you have a flashing light on during daytime, or in conjuction with a "legal" steady state one at nighttime

That's a more correct interpretation of it alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

The "I'm too important to wait with the likes of you plebs" manoeuvre. See that the odd time alright, it was endemic when I was over in the UAE

Slightly off topic but as I recall from my time in the UAE it was usually someone connected with the Royal family so it was actually OK for them.

(Tongue firmly in cheek) In Ireland although we have gotten rid of our previous royalty - we replaced them with a system where the purchase of a motor car made you "honourary royalty". As a consequence, the state would seek to pander to your every need - provided you were in a car (and used everybody elses taxes to do so).

In the process, the concept of rule of law got debased to a system for deciding compensation after crashes.

There is no legal requirement to wear high viz jackets or bands. And flashing lights are technically illegal. Although the government has said it will legistlate to allow for them.

Why is that? They are more visible than the other ones, aren't they?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

And flashing lights are technically illegal. Although the government has said it will legistlate to allow for them.

While other measures are on hold, the Department said flashing bicycle lights were made legal:
    "The use of flashing lights (commonly used by many cyclists) has been illegal since they were introduced to the market in Ireland. The Minister has now signed the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations 2009 which makes the use of these lights by cyclists legal."

-- From Department of Transport press release "Dempsey's Christmas Lights......and other good news for cyclists" on December 28, 2009.

Agreed.

I want to win commuter races on skill, not by default because somebody breaks a light. It's so annoying when that happens.

Only if everybody has to wear high-vis while waking even in urban areas and all cars have to have a large high-vis stripe all the way around the car.

Otherwise, no.

We need to allow it in a lot of more cases, as happens in French and German cities.

No, you don't need both hands -- in fact, you need to be able to have one hand on the handle bar for things like hand signals and looking behind you.

why? because they are totally unneeded. why aren't all clothes bright yellow, why don't all bikes have to be painted luminous orange, and cars and buses?

I assume anyone who wears one on a bike is incompetent and has to be treated with extra care tbh.

• Advertisement

I suppose for the same reason you're not obliged to have a day-glo car.
    monument wrote: »
    While other measures are on hold, the Department said flashing bicycle lights were made legal:
    "The use of flashing lights (commonly used by many cyclists) has been illegal since they were introduced to the market in Ireland. The Minister has now signed the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations 2009 which makes the use of these lights by cyclists legal."

Cheers. Didn't realise they'd gone and done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

On the issue of speeding, looks like there's been a big upsurge in the numbers being done, according to today's Irish Times:

prob more todo with mobile speed cameras being introduced round the country (people arent speeding any more or less just being caught )

edit; should read article thats basically what it said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My guess is becuase flashing lights are typically reserved for emergency services (and things like road crews) only, so they were illegal to have on any vehicle, including bicycles.

-- From Department of Transport press release "Dempsey's Christmas Lights......and other good news for cyclists" on December 28, 2009.

Link to the SI: http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2009/B27243.pdf

In most European countries, a hig viz (sorry about earlier typo) jacket is mandatory in the boot of your car, in case you have to stop on the side of the road and step out of your car (one per passenger). I cycle and drive, and when I drive on country roads, a bike, however strong its lights is, will always be more visible with a jacket or bands (the ones you stick to your bike).

And on unlit roads, it would actually be safer for pedestrians to use high viz jackets. Actually, I often see walkers / joggers wearing them. Buggies and strollers even have reflective bands, must be for a reason

• Advertisement

prob more todo with mobile speed cameras being introduced round the country (people arent speeding any more or less just being caught )

That's what I meant alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

However as I recall they did not change the law that says the rear light can be no more than 18 inches from the back of the bike. So lights attached to your seat post are probably still illegal.

why? because they are totally unneeded. why aren't all clothes bright yellow, why don't all bikes have to be painted luminous orange, and cars and buses?

I assume anyone who wears one on a bike is incompetent and has to be treated with extra care tbh.

You're lucky to be only cycling in broad day light or on well-lit roads. Not everyone lives in urban areas.

In most European countries, a hig viz (sorry about earlier typo) jacket is mandatory in the boot of your car, in case you have to stop on the side of the road and step out of your car (one per passenger). I cycle and drive, and when I drive on country roads, a bike, however strong its lights is, will always be more visible with a jacket or bands (the ones you stick to your bike).

And on unlit roads, it would actually be safer for pedestrians to use high viz jackets. Actually, I often see walkers / joggers wearing them. Buggies and strollers even have reflective bands, must be for a reason

I don't care that much if you're only talking about unlit country roads, but it would be a crazy general rule.

However as I recall they did not change the law that says the rear light can be no more than 18 inches from the back of the bike. So lights attached to your seat post are probably still illegal.

I'm willing to see a judge about that one. Would be funny.

And on unlit roads, it would actually be safer for pedestrians to use high viz jackets. Actually, I often see walkers / joggers wearing them.
    torch is the best option I find when I'm hiking. you can wave and flag it to make it obvious, a reflective strip / jacket is passive and can be easily mistaken for a piece of reflective road furniture like a sign and simply ignored.

Buggies and strollers even have reflective bands, must be for a reason

consumer perception that they add safety value is the only reason they are there, I would question whether there is any benefit in reality.

You're lucky to be only cycling in broad day light or on well-lit roads. Not everyone lives in urban areas.

where did I say that?

Even if I'm cycling in Wicklow in the dark I'll still wear all black. The lights are enough.

What on earth are you on about?

For some time now, probably almost since the invention of electricity, it has been possible to carry upon one's bicycle equipment designed for the purposes of illumination, commonly known as "lights".

Anyway, why don't cows wear hi-vis jackets and ankle straps?

If a motorist fails to spot a well lit bike on a unlit road, then they are driving without due care and attention.

Blaming the cyclist is the wrong approach.

I trust you carry a warning triangle on your bike, just in case you need to stop.

• Advertisement

I think the most pertinent question to ask at this point is whether anyone can find any evidence to show that there is a reduction in collisions when both lights and high-vis are used, rather than just lights on their own.

And if so, why don't cars have high-vis strips?

Lumen wrote: »
    I trust you carry a warning triangle on your bike, just in case you need to stop.

No need for sarcasm... Up to you if you don't want to wear one. When studies show that most accidents involving bikes and pedestrians could be avoided just by these. Are you afraid it will ruin your good looks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I carry a high vis jacket in the rear pocket of my black jersey, along with my tools and a small triangle. That way, if I do have a breakdown at the side of the road, I can put the jacket on and set out the triangle. Otherwise, I just cycle as normal, and my lights make me perfectly visible.

No need for sarcasm... Up to you if you don't want to wear one. When studies show that most accidents involving bikes and pedestrians could be avoided just by these. Are you afraid it will ruin your good looks?

What studies?

When studies show that most accidents involving bikes and pedestrians could be avoided just by these.
    [Citation Needed]

they also drive on the right in Spain, should we copy that too?

highlighted the key word, when studies show that then fine, but until then they can be safely ignored. Plenty of studies show that helmets, high viz, etc actually increase accident rates as car drivers take less care around cyclists due to the perception they are less vulnerable than otherwise...

seamus wrote: »
    [Citation Needed]

A study by the American Automobile Association found that of 400 interstate pedestrian fatalities, one third were drivers or passengers who had left their vehicles following an incident, and three-quarters of the fatalities occurred after dark.’

Same link previously posted

They're pedestrians.

This is the cycling forum. You claimed that studies showed that most accidents involving bikes could be avoided by wearing high-vis.

Again, show me the evidence that high-vis as a supplement to lights on the bike, leads to a reduction in collisions involving cyclists.

• Advertisement

they also drive on the right in Spain, should we copy that too?

They drive everywhere on the right in Europe Mainland, but UK and Ireland. http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/driving%20on%20the%20left.htm

Advertisement