Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should traffic laws be further enforced for cyclists?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Legal opinions are merely that until they are tested in court.
    On a separate matter as part of a company I'm a director of (unpaid !) we have had 3 eminent legal opinions includind senior counsel which are completely at odds with each other.
    I always make sure the Counsel I'm proposing to use is going to agree with me before seeking his/her opinion;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

On the subject of legal opinions, I quite like this:
    http://ukcyclerules.com/

Of tangential relevance to here, I suppose, since our legal system is derived from theirs, and judges look at decisions there when considering their decisions here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Why not just abolish all traffic laws for cyclists? It's not as if they observed them anyway is it? Sure isn't the motorist liable for all accidents anyway regardless of who caused them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Why not just abolish all traffic laws for cyclists? It's not as if they observed them anyway is it?

Now that statement is just plain retarded.
    Sure isn't the motorist liable for all accidents anyway regardless of who caused them?

No

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Again, no-one is going to pull you up for passing on the inside. But you could be completely without legal defence in the event of an accident doing so. This doesn't mean that you should pass on the right, necessarily, since avoiding an accident in the first place is more important. But it is important that the law protect people who are doing what they in all good faith regard as the correct thing to do. As things stand, it looks as if it doesn't afford cyclists any legal protection if they are injured passing on the inside. (This is mostly of importance at junctions, where passing on the inside is far more likely to result in injury.)
    That isn't how the law works though. A motorist can't just run down a jaywalker. The motorist is under an obligation to watch for cyclists and the fact the cyclist is doing something of questionable legality would only at best serve to (at most) allocate a percentage of responsibility to them and reduce the damages. I doubt personally that filtering would make a difference in a court case unless the cyclist was behaving really stupidly; even then the benefit of the doubt tends to be given to the weaker road user.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Idleater wrote: »
    It is only undertaking if both the cyclists and vehicular traffic are moving side by side and the cyclists make a move to pass. Staying in lane does not constitute a move.
    The liklihood of this happening in anything but slow moving traffic is remote.
    Where a cyclist and traffic are traveling faster say 50kmph in a 60 zone and there is an opportunity to overtake legally one would presume the cyclist would have the sense and wherewithal to overtake legally and safely on the right.
    Similarly, if the vehicular traffic slows eg due to traffic lights, then cyclists on the left may legally continue with due care without being termed undertaking under the "traveling in queues " exemption without resorting to the traffic must be turning right for straight ahead or cyclist turning left and vehicles traveling straight.
    Due care and attention always supersedes overtaking and passing on the left.

I append the relevant traffic regulations,

Points to note:

1. The concept of overtaking is not defined as requiring any kind of associated manouevre or momentary change in direction. i.e. the fact that you are staying in lane does not mean you are not overtaking. If you are passing other traffic in possession of the roadway you are overtaking.

2. There is no reference to "queues" in the regulations, the reference is to "the traffic lane on the driver's right"

It may be that the courts would interpret the law as you have indicated but we would need evidence of this.
    10. (1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.

(2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—

( a ) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

(3) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, on a stretch of roadway on which traffic sign number RUS 014 [no overtaking] has been provided.

(4) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (5), a driver shall overtake on the right and shall not move in towards the left until it is safe to do so.

(5) A driver may only overtake on the left—

( a ) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,

( b ) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention,

( c ) in slow moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

Now that statement is just plain retarded.

No
    Retarded says the mod.
    I'm basing the statement on the number of posts where cyclists openly admit to ignoring laws because they think the laws are stupid or simply because they don't want to obey them. And I'm making retarded statements. :rolleyes:

It has been claimed numerous times on this forum that because the motorist has the greater potential do injure or do damage that they bear all responsibilities. I can't recall this being refuted on thread but I'm open to correction there.

blorg wrote: »
    That isn't how the law works though. A motorist can't just run down a jaywalker. The motorist is under an obligation to watch for cyclists and the fact the cyclist is doing something of questionable legality would only at best serve to (at most) allocate a percentage of responsibility to them and reduce the damages. I doubt personally that filtering would make a difference in a court case unless the cyclist was behaving really stupidly; even then the benefit of the doubt tends to be given to the weaker road user.
    I'm thinking in particular of cyclists being seriously injured or killed while passing on the inside at junctions. I'm not confident that the court wouldn't rule that the cyclist shouldn't have tried the manoeuvre, since it's (arguably) not allowed, and it's certainly not prudent.

The case is more complicated by the presence of certain cycle lanes that implicitly invite cyclists to attempt this manoeuvre, and the fact that I still haven't managed to find any law, regulation or ruling that makes it clear that a cycle lane is a separate traffic lane.

I really just wish the whole mess would be tidied up.

EDIT: Just occurred to me, blorg. We don't really have a legal class of "jaywalkers", do we? You're only in the wrong if you're crossing near but not at a pedestrian crossing. Or throwing yourself in front of oncoming traffic, I suppose.

FURTHER EDIT: Do courts generally side with cyclists? Or do they assume the cyclist is probably an air-headed scofflaw? Or that cycling is so "dangerous" that injuries are like an Act of God. Not a rhetorical question. I have no idea, just my persecution complex to guide me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

...Staying in lane does not constitute a move.
    :
    :
    Similarly, if the vehicular traffic slows eg due to traffic lights, then cyclists on the left may legally continue with due care without being termed undertaking under the "traveling in queues " exemption without resorting to the traffic must be turning right for straight ahead or cyclist turning left and vehicles traveling straight.
    Due care and attention always supersedes overtaking and passing on the left.
    Apologies for not linking to the exact terminology but I wasn't bothered while on my mobile. Hence why I used the quotes. You didn't pick up on my turning left/right remarks either though so I'm forming the opinion that you are just in this to argue.

Points to note:

2. There is no reference to "queues" in the regulations, the reference is to "the traffic lane on the driver's right"
    ( c ) in slow moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

The above sub section is loosly termed by Gardai and Advanced instructors as "travelling in queues" to distinguish it from faster moving traffic for example on a dual carrigeway where the outside lane may move at some point slightly slower than the inside lanes.
    I may have mentioned this before, but I am a (3 time) RoSPA Advanced Driver holder and I am well versed in the use of the roads and the permitted circumstances when filtering and undertaking are allowed, as well as when while it may be allowed it may not be beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Points to note:

1. The concept of overtaking is not defined as requiring any kind of associated manouevre or momentary change in direction. i.e. the fact that you are staying in lane does not mean you are not overtaking. If you are passing other traffic in possession of the roadway you are overtaking.

It may be that the courts would interpret the law as you have indicated but we would need evidence of this.
    Quote:
    10. (1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.

(2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver

( a ) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

(3) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, on a stretch of roadway on which traffic sign number RUS 014 [no overtaking] has been provided.

(4) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (5), a driver shall overtake on the right and shall not move in towards the left until it is safe to do so.

(5) A driver may only overtake on the left—

( a ) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,

( b ) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention,

Got a link for the regulations relating to cyclists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It has been claimed numerous times on this forum that because the motorist has the greater potential do injure or do damage that they bear all responsibilities. I can't recall this being refuted on thread but I'm open to correction there.

I would like to see references to numerous unrefuted statements stating that motorists bear all responsibilities.

I don't recall a single one.

RT66 wrote: »
    Got a link for the regulations relating to cyclists?
    A cyclist is understood to be a driver, in this context, as far as I recall.

See:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64663741&postcount=108

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

I can't recall this being refuted on thread but I'm open to correction there.

Do we really have to get into "I demand that someone condemn this illegal/irresponsible behaviour!" territory again? Really? If anything, this forum contains plenty of regular apologias for dodgy cycling and expressions of frustration at examples of it. If you regularly lurk/post here, you can quickly become frustrated about feeling like a punchbag for posters (not necessarily you MagicBeans) who drop in just to tell you what a bunch of pr1cks cyclists are, because one cut them up at the lights that morning. Really, you're choosing the wrong audience.

As for the main topic, I feel like I'm coming over all cliched and Daily Mail on this, but as the stockmarkets plummet and London suburbs burn up, actually getting in any way het up about how passing on the left in traffic MIGHT BE ILLEGAL, would you ever just put a sock in it.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Legal opinions are merely that until they are tested in court.
    On a separate matter as part of a company I'm a director of (unpaid !) we have had 3 eminent legal opinions including senior counsel which are completely at odds with each other.

Agreed but why is it that Irish cyclists should be put in the position of having to seek legal opinions on matters that should be very clear and well understood by all road users?

We have a very long thread going here discussing whether cyclists should face the increased sanction of the law and we can't even agree what those laws are or how they apply?

But the cyclist is frequently in the same lane when passing on the inside. Does that make a difference?

But the cyclist is frequently in the same lane when passing on the inside. Does that make a difference?

Nope not at all, there are several examples where two vehicles could easily pass each other in the same lane and be deemed to be travelling in queues :pac:, turning left or turning right.

Similarly, one is allowed to overtake when there is a solid white line, just as long as one does not cross the line. This is quite applicable to motorcylists.

I should reiterate for posterity that Due Care and Attention supersedes overtaking/filtering. If you go up the inside / outside of a line of cars at 50kmph and a pedestrian steps out for example you must be able to stop without changing position (swerving is not allowed under due care and attention).

Apologies for not linking to the exact terminology but I wasn't bothered while on my mobile. Hence why I used the quotes. You didn't pick up on my turning left/right remarks either though so I'm forming the opinion that you are just in this to argue.

<snip>

I may have mentioned this before, but I am a (3 time) RoSPA Advanced Driver holder and I am well versed in the use of the roads and the permitted circumstances when filtering and undertaking are allowed, as well as when while it may be allowed it may not be beneficial.

I am not clear as to the relevance of your remarks on turning left/right this discussion is about overtaking traffic moving in the same direction.

I have done the UK National Standard Cycling Instructor course (although this being Ireland its not my day job). The reason the legal opinion was sought is because I and a colleague are about to kick off a cycle training project in Galway and the project sponsor agreed to fund the legal advice to clarify where we and our trainees stand.

Agreed but why is it that Irish cyclists should be put in the position of having to seek legal opinions on matters that should be very clear and well understood by all road users?

We have a very long thread going here discussing whether cyclists should face the increased sanction of the law and we can't even agree what those laws are or how they apply?

Whilst your prudence in seeking legal advice on a largely theoretical legal issue is arguably admirable, 99.9% of cyclists just get on with riding their bikes, the reasonable ones assuming that (barring contact with some overzealous garda having a really bad day) they'll be left alone to do so.

edit: I now understand why you got the legal advice, but your requirements are unusual.

I am not clear as to the relevance of your remarks on turning left/right this discussion is about overtaking traffic moving in the same direction.

You brought the left/right turning up by linking to the legislation to point out to me that my "travelling in queues" (everyone going straight) is wrong.

I pointed out that no, infact there is allowance for queues of slow moving traffic to go straight ahead without resorting to the turning left/right clauses as the slow moving traffic allows for "undertaking" when everyone is travelling straight.

• Advertisement

I have done the UK National Standard Cycling Instructor course (although this being Ireland its not my day job). The reason the legal opinion was sought is because I and a colleague are about to kick off a cycle training project in Galway and the project sponsor agreed to fund the legal advice to clarify where we and our trainees stand.
    Very thorough. Though I suppose you have to be when you can get sued.

oflahero wrote: »
    If you regularly lurk/post here, you can quickly become frustrated about feeling like a punchbag for posters (not necessarily you MagicBeans) who drop in just to tell you what a bunch of pr1cks cyclists are, because one cut them up at the lights that morning.

I lurk more than I post, usually on my iPhone so searching and quoting is a bit of a nightmare.

I'm not trying to pick on anybody. Although I have to say some of the posters on here need a good sharp shock to bring them around to the reality of what keeps you alive or dead on the roads. I cycled for years and I've driven for years and I can honestly say I was never involved in an accident with a vehicle when I was a cyclist and I have never been involved in an accident with a cyclist as a driver. Why is this? Am I some sort of superhuman being? Sadly no. I just protect myself and give due consideration to my fellow road users as my first priority. Far more important than being on time or having right of way. I know the ROTR and within my human limitations I follow them. A vast number of accidents are caused by people doing stupid or unexpected things, The ROTR are there to guide us, make some decisions for us and give a predictablity to our actions that will keep us safe.

All this talk about rules being enforced would be needless if the rules were observed. Wake up and smell the coffee people, you only get one life, Buddhists excepted, so keep safe and die in the saddle not on it.

Lumen wrote: »
    Whilst your prudence in seeking legal advice on a largely theoretical legal issue is arguably admirable, 99.9% of cyclists just get on with riding their bikes, the reasonable ones assuming that (barring contact with some overzealous garda having a really bad day) they'll be left alone to do so.

This is all well and good until they get left alone to do something that results in injury and death. Then it turns out that in the eyes of the courts, whatever about the Garda, they were doing something illegal at the time.

Or to look at it from another direction we have all these dead cyclists who went under left turning HGVs. Has any HGV driver ever been prosecuted in a situation where the cyclist was undertaking?

If not why not?

All this talk about rules being enforced would be needless if the rules were observed. Wake up and smell the coffee people, you only get one life, Buddhists excepted, so keep safe and die in the saddle not on it.
    Not to start the whole Karma Mandala spinning off again, but I think the reason this thread is staggering on is that following some of the rules might kill you.

They also sometimes contradict each other. For example (if I've understood the law as it stands correctly, which maybe I haven't), how can you use a cycle track (as required by a statutory instrument) that compels you to place yourself to the left of a left-turning HGV and also show due care and attention for your own safety?

You brought the left/right turning up by linking to the legislation to point out to me that my "travelling in queues" (everyone going straight) is wrong.

I pointed out that no, infact there is allowance for queues of slow moving traffic to go straight ahead without resorting to the turning left/right clauses as the slow moving traffic allows for "undertaking" when everyone is travelling straight.

Ok by way of clarification are you saying that, in your view as someone with special training, it is legal for motorists travelling in the same direction to drive two abreast?

That , in your view, it is legal for motorists who have no intention of turning to make two "queues" out of a single traffic lane?

You may be correct its just not an interpretation I was aware of.

Has any HGV driver ever been prosecuted in a situation where the cyclist was undertaking?

Just to comment on this again, road users may not proceed without due care and attention. In such circumstances where progress cannot be made without disregard for safety then "undertaking" simply does not take place.

On my recent RoSPA exam, I was expected to filter when safe but preference was for overtaking to the right unless a left filter would be safer. Secondly I was expected to pick my point at which I would rejoin the main flow of the road and to pre-empt any traffic beginning to move during my manoeuvre.

In the case of going up the inside of a truck or indeed any larger vehicle, especially one with an indicator on, the pass is just not on so you should wait or go around the other side. Common sense says so. The irishStatuteBook does not reference common sense, it references circumstances under which manoeuvres may be made.

• Advertisement

Ok by way of clarification are you saying that, in your view as someone with special training, it is legal for motorists travelling in the same direction to drive two abreast?

That , in your view, it is legal for motorists who have no intention of turning to make two "queues" out of a single traffic lane?

You may be correct its just not an interpretation I was aware of.

no, my view was that it was permissible to overtake in those circumstances not to create two driving lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm not trying to pick on anybody. Although I have to say some of the posters on here need a good sharp shock to bring them around to the reality of what keeps you alive or dead on the roads.

You first post in this thread came across as a bit hostile which is why you got the response that you did. The thing is, most people on this forum are fairly respectful of the law except when following it becomes dangerous. Certain compulsory cycle lanes, for example, can be lethal. You might notice that those who admit to RLJing or cycling on the footpath get set upon here. See the reaction to Dearg_Lady earlier on in the thread when she said that she goes through red lights whenever she feels like it for evidence of this.

It's only some of the posters here who flout the law and they get harangued when they admit to it - which I think is perfectly fair. People who flout the law are in a minority here and I don't think that you should make sweeping generalisations about cyclists and, by implication, this forum's users because it's just plain wrong.

I don't think that you should make sweeping generalisations about cyclists and, by implication, this forum's users because it's just plain wrong.
    You highlight where I said "some of the posters on here" and then accuse me of sweeping generalisations? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

FURTHER EDIT: Do courts generally side with cyclists? Or do they assume the cyclist is probably an air-headed scofflaw? Or that cycling is so "dangerous" that injuries are like an Act of God. Not a rhetorical question. I have no idea, just my persecution complex to guide me.

If you've got time read the judgment in O'Gorman v MIBI [2005] IEHC 38, it's got everything, cycling in the hard shoulder, overtaking a parked lorry, estimated speed of a cyclist on a clapped out old racer, typos ("breaks") etc.

Man cycling along the dual carriageway on the hard shoulder between Midleton and Carrigtwohill tries to overtake a refuse lorry parked on the hard shoulder/verge and gets blown into the back of it by another unidentified lorry passing him in the traffic lane.

The judge does a good job of going through the engineer's report in estimating the speed of the cyclist and the approximate speed of unidentified lorry that caused the incident.

The judge makes no remarks on the legitimacy of cycling in the hard shoulder. The plaintiff lost the case because the judge decided that "...it becomes more and more likely that the plaintiff moved out when he should not have, and that he very soon realised the danger he had posed for himself by moving out rather than waiting for the lorry to pass, and pulled back into the hard shoulder and hit the back of the lorry. In that situation the plaintiff could not point to any negligence on the part of the driver".

The judge also states that is is with great regret that he dismisses the plaintiff's claim.

So, no persecution complex, no implication that cycling is inherently dangerous. I've searched the available judgments on the Courts Service site and I can't find any other cases that are as useful.

Just to comment on this again, road users may not proceed without due care and attention. In such circumstances where progress cannot be made without disregard for safety then "undertaking" simply does not take place.

I fully accept your point and it is what I am trying to illustrate. The issue here is that there is a subset, indeed possibly a majority, of cyclists who have the following expectations.

1. They are legally entitled to overtake same direction traffic on the left
    2. They believe that other left-turning traffic should yield to them while doing so

These are expectations that in my view and those of my advisors, are not supported by the law.

• Advertisement

no, my view was that it was permissible to overtake in those circumstances not to create two driving lanes.

Ok and I apologise if I am being pedantic. My interpretation of your argument is that, any driver can pass a queue of traffic going in the same direction provided they percieve that there is space for them to keep moving, the implication of your argument is that you are free to skip to the top of the first queue and then start your own queue.

It is not an argument I was aware of

I fully accept your point and it is what I am trying to illustrate. The issue here is that there is a subset, indeed possibly a majority, of cyclists who have the following expectations.

1. They are legally entitled to overtake same direction traffic on the left
    2. They believe that other left-turning traffic should yield to them while doing so

These are expectations that in my view and those of my advisors, are not supported by the law.

For (1), I don't know that it is possible for anything but a tiny minority of very fast cyclists to undertake fast moving traffic. In slow-moving traffic it isn't undertaking.

For (2), I don't know any cyclist who expects left-turning traffic to yield to them.

Also, I think you're overstating the authority of your legal advice. It's just an opinion, and fairly ambivalent at that (from what you've said).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

For (1), I don't know that it is possible for anything but a tiny minority of very fast cyclists to undertake fast moving traffic. In slow-moving traffic it isn't undertaking.

As I've said before, if its moving slower than me, then it is, by definition slow moving traffic and Im allowed undertake it!

For (2), I don't know any cyclist who expects left-turning traffic to yield to them.

I agree, except I suspect that quite a lot of cyclists on cycle tracks expect left-turning traffic to yield to them. Watch cyclists emerging from the (legally dubious in itself) shared-use sidewalk cycle track on Lower Drumcondra Road going north crossing the mouth of Hollybank Road. Virtually no-one looks left or right, or indeed back over their shoulder towards the point where left-turning traffic would originate. Their approach to that point is also obscured by trees, so caution is definitely required, but none is usually shown.

I think there's a yield triangle painted there on the track, so that's covered the asses of whoever designed the track.

I agree, except I suspect that quite a lot of cyclists on cycle tracks expect left-turning traffic to yield to them. Watch cyclists emerging from the (legally dubious in itself) shared-use sidewalk cycle track on Lower Drumcondra Road going north crossing the mouth of Hollybank Road. Virtually no-one looks left or right, or indeed back over their shoulder towards the point where left-turning traffic would originate.

They'll either cop on or check out.

FWIW I don't know any cyclists who use offroad cycle tracks/paths/whatever either, except perhaps in the Phoenix Park.

You get buzzed by buses on that stretch of road (I'm looking at you, Aircoach) if you don't use it.

I come through the maze of redbrick houses to the west now to avoid the road. I come down Hollybank, so I still see the cyclists emerging from the cycle track.

They'll either cop on or check out.

TBF, I suspect most cyclists dont expect motorists to just cut across a cycle lane to turn left, or rather, dont think that such an action is legal.

This happened to me recently heading south down from broadstone to Church st.in the cycle lane. A woman in the left hand lane indicated left and started to turn down a side road when she was about 20ft ahead of me. I didnt have time to pull out and around her so I slammed on the brakes and slowed. At this stage she seemed to yield just as I was reaching the back of her car, so I continued on slowly alongside, and she then completed her turn, blocking my progress.

She asked me why I hadnt gone around as 'she had indicated'. I replied that I didnt have time and that indicating alone does not give you the right to cut across other traffic and she still should have yielded... I guess I was wrong?

Positions reversed I certainly wouldn't have thought it safe or legal to pull across the cycle lane and cut off a cyclist when turning left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

I live in the city centre, and in my experience, you are more likely to be injured by a cyclist who thinks that a footpath is a road or a one way street is two-way; then you are by a motorist.

Especially those people who use Dublin Bikes.

Maniacs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

droidus wrote: »
    TBF, I suspect most cyclists dont expect motorists to just cut across a cycle lane to turn left, or rather, dont think that such an action is legal.

This happened to me recently heading south down from broadstone to Church st.in the cycle lane. A woman in the left hand lane indicated left and started to turn down a side road when she was about 20ft ahead of me. I didnt have time to pull out and around her so I slammed on the brakes and slowed. At this stage she seemed to yield just as I was reaching the back of her car, so I continued on slowly alongside, and she then completed her turn, blocking my progress.

She asked me why I hadnt gone around as 'she had indicated'. I replied that I didnt have time and that indicating alone does not give you the right to cut across other traffic and she still should have yielded... I guess I was wrong?

Positions reversed I certainly wouldn't have thought it safe or legal to pull across the cycle lane and cut off a cyclist when turning left.
    A motorist has to yield if crossing a continuous cycle lane into a side road. The cyclist has to yield if the cycle lane ends at the junction (even if it immediately starts the other side.)

My interpretation of your argument is that, any driver can pass a queue of traffic going in the same direction provided they percieve that there is space for them to keep moving, the implication of your argument is that you are free to skip to the top of the first queue and then start your own queue.

It is not an argument I was aware of
    Imagine you were to try it out:
    1) on a bicycle see shoaling
    2) on a motorcycle
    3) in a car
    4) in a HGV

and tell me which ones you imagine being successful in pulling off the barge back into traffic manoeuvre in.

I'm not inventing any new rules here, I am merely pointing out the fact that progress can be made depending on what mode of transport you are using. I know when not to over or under take.
    The more observant one is the more progress one can make either with a planned over/undertake or simple road positioning. To put this in context of my recent exam, on the entire 90 minutes I made 1 filter to the left (Phibsboro) and one filter to the right (Parnell square) passing in total 10 cars I'd say and ending up legitimately at the first in line at the red traffic light. The rest of the overtakes were legitimate single vehicle overtakes on dashed lines.

• Advertisement

A motorist has to yield if crossing a continuous cycle lane into a side road. The. cyclist has to yield if the cycle lane ends at the junction.

It was a dotted white line - no junction:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=church+st+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.35152,-6.273732&spn=0.001202,0.002167&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.351597,-6.273588&panoid=ZQpkoOGo5UPV30tfXyS_mA&cbp=12,185.58,,0,21.91

A woman in the left hand lane indicated left and started to turn down a side road when she was about 20ft ahead of me. I didnt have time to pull out and around her so I slammed on the brakes and slowed. At this stage she seemed to yield just as I was reaching the back of her car, so I continued on slowly alongside, and she then completed her turn, blocking my progress.
    A motorist has to yield if crossing a continuous cycle lane into a side road. The cyclist has to yield if the cycle lane ends at the junction (even if it immediately starts the other side.)

Aside from what's legal, if you pass inside cars that are indicating or turning left, sooner or later you're going to get creamed.

In the situation described I would stop and wait if I couldn't pass right. The motorist cannot assume to be giving way, they might have stopped for some other reason, like the side street being blocked, or spilling their coffee, or dropping their burger.

Aside from what's legal, if you pass inside cars that are indicating or turning left, sooner or later you're going to get creamed.

In the situation described I would stop and wait if I couldn't pass right. The motorist cannot assume to be giving way, they might have stopped for some other reason, like the side street being blocked, or spilling their coffee, or dropping their burger.

I agree, but TBF, I could see her in her mirror and knew she had seen me, the street was empty, and she had started the turn and then stopped, giving the impression she had seen me and was yielding, I was almost stopped and proceeded very slowly, so there was no real danger. More of a WTF moment.

I agree, but TBF, I could see her in her mirror and knew she had seen me, the street was empty, and she had started the turn and then stopped, giving the impression she had seen me and was yielding, I was almost stopped and proceeded very slowly, so there was no real danger. More of a WTF moment.

Sure, no harm no foul. The lesson is that anyone mad enough to give way to cyclists should not be expected to act rationally.

Imagine you were to try it out:
    1) on a bicycle see shoaling
    2) on a motorcycle
    3) in a car
    4) in a HGV

and tell me which ones you imagine being successful in pulling off the barge back into traffic manoeuvre in.

I'm not inventing any new rules here, I am merely pointing out the fact that progress can be made depending on what mode of transport you are using. I know when not to over or under take.
    The more observant one is the more progress one can make either with a planned over/undertake or simple road positioning. To put this in context of my recent exam, on the entire 90 minutes I made 1 filter to the left (Phibsboro) and one filter to the right (Parnell square) passing in total 10 cars I'd say and ending up legitimately at the first in line at the red traffic light. The rest of the overtakes were legitimate single vehicle overtakes on dashed lines.

Then your point is not that it is ok to keep going past queues but it is that it is ok to keep going past them when you have a reasonable expectation of completing the manouevre or of being able to rejoin the traffic stream going in your intended direction if necessary.

That is not quite the same concept. It seems to me that to be lawful such manoevres must also conform to the other regulations regarding overtaking.

So what kind of vehicle were you using? - you don't appear to state.

Then your point is not that it is ok to keep going past queues but it is that it is ok to keep going past them when you have a reasonable expectation of completing the manouevre or of being able to rejoin the traffic stream going in your intended direction if necessary.

That is not quite the same concept. It seems to me that to be lawful such manoevres must also conform to the other regulations regarding overtaking.

So what kind of vehicle were you using? - you don't appear to state.

I think you need to be a bit less literal and a bit more jurisprudential.

The purpose of traffic law is to establish safe and consistent common practice, not to codify every possible circumstance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Lights are only of use when you are at an angle when they are directed at you, so if a car is coming at a right angle to you, you are difficult to see, thus the high viz jacket. When a cars light flash across you, you are lit up like a christ mass tree.

As a vulerable road user, you have to take personal responsability, you can't rely on car drivers to always see you in the teeming rain, with oncoming traffic dazling them and you dressed like a ninja.

Defending an argument by saying show me a study done to prove this or that is weak unless you have a survery that actualy proves your own point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

following some of the rules might kill you.

They also sometimes contradict each other.
    this is the crux of it. the important thing is to be safe and not endanger or obstruct others. thats it. Arguing over points of law is kind of ridiculous tbh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Defending an argument by saying show me a study done to prove this or that is weak unless you have a survery that actualy proves your own point.

Really?

• Advertisement

The purpose of traffic law is to establish safe and consistent common practice, not to codify every possible circumstance.

I agree so we need to clearly understand what practices it is that the law provides for and what practices it does not provide for.

Cyclists passing on the left is such a common circumstance that it is reasonable to expect that its practice and the limitations on its practice be covered.

With respect, in my view it is pedantic to dismiss the requirements for such clarifications as attempting to "codify every possible circumstance".

The alternative as I understand it, is some form of nudge, nudge, wink, wink, paddywhackery along the lines of "Ah sure what Judge is going to hold it agin you".

Advertisement