Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage protection cancelled by insurer

Options
  • 04-08-2011 3:04pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i am making some changes to my mortgage, was in with lender today to sign the final documents and had to sign a new insurance declaration.

one of the questions was have you been out of work for more then 3 weeks in the last two years.

i stupidly answered yes, as i was out of work for 5 weeks with a miscarriage. they cancelled my policy there and then and are now refusing to insurance in case i die from complications.

i asked what kind of complications? the girl couldnt answer me, i suggested that perhaps a dead baby zombie would come kill me i was asleep :mad:

can they cancel my insurance for this reason? i have being paying it for 7 years.

i was also told that if i got pregnant and was out of work for more then 2 weeks, that they also cancel the policy. the 2 weeks includes maternity leave:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

That sounds like a case of sex discrimination to me. Have you tried the Financial Services ombudsman?

http://www.financialombudsman.ie/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah, have just been on to them. i have to get a letter in writing from that stating why they refused me insurance and then they are going to take up the case.

not letting them away with this

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

It sounds like a block insurance policy which is a short proposal form which gives guaranteed cover if you can answer a couple of questions negatively.

If any of the answers are "Yes", then cover is either refused or referred for further consideration by the underwriters in an insurance company.

It sounds like that you were starting your life cover all over again perhaps because of topup to mortgage or extending the term of the policy as opposed to keeping existing policy and taking out second policy for extra policy. I can't see them cancelling your existing policy because of the answer to your question now though.

Ring a broker and they will sort you out with the life cover and possibly at a cheaper rate than your bank or building society.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

broker2008 wrote: »
    It sounds like a block insurance policy which is a short proposal form which gives guaranteed cover if you can answer a couple of questions negatively.

If any of the answers are "Yes", then cover is either refused or referred for further consideration by the underwriters in an insurance company.

It sounds like that you were starting your life cover all over again perhaps because of topup to mortgage or extending the term of the policy as opposed to keeping existing policy and taking out second policy for extra policy. I can't see them cancelling your existing policy because of the answer to your question now though.

Ring a broker and they will sort you out with the life cover and possibly at a cheaper rate than your bank or building society.

its dublin city council policy, i was reducing the term of my mortgage.

you have to use their insurance company, so i am completely screwed

Advertisement