Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best, not "coolest" Headphones...

• 04-08-2011 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

I remember a thread on here a few months ago about the coolest looking headphones, not that it was much help back then! But now the time has come to upgrade my own so I'm looking for suggestions as to what might be a good option?
    Moving from Sennheiser HD 215's...big bulky things...I have them coming up on 3 years and they've served me well!

Just looking for a few suggestion for a nice comfortable set, that aren't huge (when moving from these, thats anything really :p )
    Don't want to break the bank either because its the same inevitable abuse they're going to get, but dont get me wrong I don't want to skimp on them either!

Any help is much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Cheap but very good headphones: Sennheiser HD 205

Expensive but incredible DJ headphones: Sennheiser HD25

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

DEVOTION wrote: »

Unless those are newer ones, I knew people who had those years ago, and they all snapped at the hinge on them (used in a dj capacity admittedly, maybe that's not what the op needs them for). Shame as they said they were great otherwise. Might be different durability on them now though. Must be close to ten years ago now since I'd heard about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I've had mine for over 10 years now, been thrown around a hell of a lot. They sound freaking excellent and comfortable for lonnggggggggg hours with them on - studios and pro's have been using them for years and they drive pretty easy with an ipod.

Ohwd1vuMc6SK9JZFNU0nBJHV8UKGv4sOSQo2x0ir9B84zv5gAYkvuJqcaK7hR6_OxmGATYy7eNmZoXr6nkKAC8SQNDYPK3xRX_HyBAOzSWjyykXoLTEKXDpIQmbVaKCLQCFe4oS-V8WchCGKU-tLo8r_MiwhbUyr45YRGW2WCDRWMbd2o7fAfdlvNKThm5n5Fn9MwxY

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&q=sony+mdr+v6&oe=UTF-8&cid=13409466332417410887&os=reviews

Oh and you can get them pretty darn cheap

They are the same as the 7506's minus the "pro" sticker and Gold plated plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Cheers guys! Should have said that yes, they are for DJing...gonna be on the road for years to come! (hopefully)
    Actually something I should ask is, have any of these got the jack connection at a right angle? If you follow? The 215's just have a straight connection and it puts a stress on the wire when its plugged in...Might not make any difference but some of these can be delicate enough!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The HD25's do .. the cables are user replaceable (expensive) too.

The V6's dont but have not managed to bust them yet no matter how much strain its been under (ALOT).

You can always get one of these

I used to throw one on every set of headphones I owned for DJ'ing before I got the sony's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Got a pair of these from HTFR last year for about £40-50 (can't remember exactly how much).

Excellent sound quality for the price.

EDIT: They're AKG k518's.

827c70bb_akg518red.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Sennheiser 25's are the last pair of headphones you'll ever buy unless somebody nicks them, at which point you'll go straight out and buy another pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Everyone is now using Beats by DrDumbf'ck, its makes me sad that people have soo little taste.

Everyone is now using Beats by DrDumbf'ck, its makes me sad that people have soo little taste.

By "everyone" you mean your mates and people on the Dart / Luas....

You won't see a pair in a club dj booth...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

lol :p

By "everyone" you mean your mates and people on the Dart / Luas....

You won't see a pair in a club dj booth...

Idiots on the street is one thing, but I'm pretty sure 2ManyDjs had a pair the other night.

283919_10150270115151806_9980651805_7928810_4893639_n.jpg

Pretty sure there have been others...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Actually something I should ask is, have any of these got the jack connection at a right angle? If you follow?
    I had a look around. Amazon sell some, and so do the lads from D12: http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/jack-connectors/7249025/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I've a set of these, got them last year, they're savage, my only gripe is the aul ears get pretty warm after a few hours, but soundwise they're fantastic, nothing but the music! .......... and they have the right angle jack connection your after!

http://www.htfr.com/p/161877/technics_rpdh1200_headphones

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD3IivRfa9AOfgOMuXZiUhH6VMYOPalomlR6s1BXbrgzAvcTB-

...... and they look the dogs! :D

EarlERizer wrote: »
    I've a set of these, got them last year, they're savage, my only gripe is the aul ears get pretty warm after a few hours, but soundwise they're fantastic, nothing but the music! .......... and they have the right angle jack connection your after!

How would the connection between cable and headset feel on those? I'm always worried when I see a detachable cable.. Other than that, they definitely represent what my next progression might look like.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    How would the connection between cable and headset feel on those? I'm always worried when I see a detachable cable.. Other than that, they definitely represent what my next progression might look like.

Yeah, I had the same fear when looking at these first,but it was soon put to bed, the 'locking' motion is tight and secure,i've never had them come loose,slot in nice and snug,half turn clockwise and they're locked in!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRATAF6HELmS09iUsGtNMX3gYnmIuXMp0piVKTob4ZdnO3ve-6xeA

I know I'm been biased as I own a pair,but seriously the sound quality is pure class with these cans,there like mini bass bins! you can crank it up full whack and its crystal clear (especially if you have mp3's in 320kbps) wheter on the decks (vinyls for me) or just using VDJ or whatever.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEzfIjDKdd8en22KF24dstjuresBJxJD97GXVtITniR7GRPP35Bw

suppose,the only thing that woulda made these even better would have been if they were made of metal! but then they'd loose out on lightweight status :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Pair Of sennheiser 280's
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/220817495908?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

Got mine on ebay about 4 years ago for 60€ Delivered from the states , They've stood up well , The Cushion on the earpiece needs replacing but 2 of them only costs about 20 quid and It'll be good as new!
    41Dve0dJAdL._AA300_.jpg

I bought a pair in America through a company called Bifys.com. A pair of Beats by Dr.Dre, saved a bundle.

Just be REALLY careful buying Monster/Pioneer/Sony headphones from overseas... USA or otherwise, With the Dr Dre' Beats Tour / Studio / Pro there are a ton of fakes doing the rounds which for all intensive purposes look/feel and sound 95% of the original.

And I know because I have a pair of Tours which I bought for my playing my ipod -It took me going though about 15 pairs from dealers to find a pair that both sounded GREAT and looks right - alot had various flaws from cables, differing volumes in each ear, Jack connectors etc...

BTW I'm living in asia, Monster Beats Fakes are on every street corner, control talk, noise cancellation n' all for less than $50 - Monster Studio Pro's for around $80.

The tours cost me about 8 Euro, and compared to the original very few flaws including the sound quality (I compared them with originals in the apple store) .. too bassy IMHO but thats kinda a rule with the beats brand. I was not spending $150 bucks on earbuds unless they were proper IEM's

Yeah, I had the same fear when looking at these first,but it was soon put to bed, the 'locking' motion is tight and secure,i've never had them come loose,slot in nice and snug,half turn clockwise and they're locked in!

Didn't know about that, thanks. Will have to take a proper look at them.

Didn't know about that, thanks. Will have to take a proper look at them.

Just to add, the points on these are 24 crt gold plated, the jack 1.5 to 3.5 connector is a screw on as opposed to a clip on so it's extra secure,the coiled cable never gets tangled.I honestly cant fault these cans other than the warm ears after prolonged use but thats only a problem is your on a marathon session lol.

I can't compare them to any of the Sennheiser's as I've never used them,I was in the market for a set until I came upon these.Truth be known I was of the mind that these might have just been a throw out gimmick product by Technics ,not to be touched (how ridiculous a notion that was) and was full sure I was going to go for sennheiser's but I've been impressed with these so much so that I'd go for them again should anything happen to the ones I have at the mo.

before these I had a set of Sony's which where great (or so i thought) but they pale in comparision.

......all thats left for me is to get a Technics mixer and i'm Technic'd up lol I've 1210's hooked up to a Technics seperates and me Technics can's ......and an old Numark mixer :o

The sound is fookin mental......my neighbours would agree too! :D

• Advertisement

Just to add, the points on these are 24 crt gold plated, the jack 1.5 to 3.5 connector is a screw on as opposed to a clip on so it's extra secure,the coiled cable never gets tangled.I honestly cant fault these cans other than the warm ears after prolonged use but thats only a problem is your on a marathon session lol.

I can't compare them to any of the Sennheiser's as I've never used them,I was in the market for a set until I came upon these.Truth be known I was of the mind that these might have just been a throw out gimmick product by Technics ,not to be touched (how ridiculous a notion that was) and was full sure I was going to go for sennheiser's but I've been impressed with these so much so that I'd go for them again should anything happen to the ones I have at the mo.

before these I had a set of Sony's which where great (or so i thought) but they pale in comparision.

......all thats left for me is to get a Technics mixer and i'm Technic'd up lol I've 1210's hooked up to a Technics seperates and me Technics can's ......and an old Numark mixer :o

I'm only small fry in comparison, it'll be a few years before I can afford any type of serious gear. :o

I'm only small fry in comparison, it'll be a few years before I can afford any type of serious gear. :o

Ya ever hear the expression "all the gear,no idea" lol it's not about having the best of the best m8, it's about been able to use what ya have, sure i've still got me 'L' plates on! the main thing is you enjoying the buzz.

.......keep saving the pennies and watching for bargains ...good place for bargain hunting is on the adverts.ie pages.....or keep an eye on this thread , you can also throw up a "wanted" post and let people know what your after (obviously when your budget allows)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056319696

Seriously you can splash out for the HD25, or you can buy another pair, have them break, and then spend the same money splashing out on the HD25 after.

You might as well go out and get the best from the get go, you save money in the long run.

Seriously you can splash out for the HD25, or you can buy another pair, have them break, and then spend the same money splashing out on the HD25 after.

You might as well go out and get the best from the get go, you save money in the long run.

They certainly look the bizz, as I said though, I've not had the pleasure of trying them,would like a test run on these just to compare with the Technics but for now I'm more than happy with the Technics....While Sennheiser would be the first to mind (as was the case with me) the Technics have creeped into the pysche when considering 'great' cans.

Nevertheless I totally agree with you re: splashing out on alternatives only to have them go ar$e about face and leave ya splashing out again....so best advice we can offer is ..... if your going to spend big bucks for cans be absolute before handing over your hard earned, for a few extra quid you'll get your moneys worth in terms of style,performance & reliability,the choice of Sennheiser or Technics (or any of the other 'leading' brands) is down to you the individual.

Dont say ya havnt been warned! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I'm a Dj myself and have spent hundreds of euro and countless hours testing headphones and I've finally come to the conclusion that for me the pioneer hdj2000s were the best. I'm using mine on a daily basis for the past 1.5 years and they've not given an inkling of trouble, they're extremely comfortable, sounds are excellent from them, they're nice and light plus most of the parts are available ie. Jack cable, dad pads etc.

I used the predecessors the hdj 1000 and whereas they were great the build quality wasn't as good and the hinge gave up after 8 months of use. The senn hd25s are excellent too but I didn't feel comfortable after about half an hour use.

I also tried technics,bose,dr dre,skullcandy and beyrdynamic but whereas they sounded ok I wasn't convinced they would stand up to the test of time.

As with all the headphones available make sure you get genuine ones and NOT any of the copies around. Some of the knockoffs are extremely good, I seen a set of hdj2000 knockoffs and couldnt tell the difference until it was pointed out to me. My advice is to buy from a reputable dealer either a bricks and mortar shop or the likes of thomann.

Good luck finding your headphones a good set makes all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I know I'm been biased as I own a pair,but seriously the sound quality is pure class with these cans,there like mini bass bins! you can crank it up full whack and its crystal clear (especially if you have mp3's in 320kbps) wheter on the decks (vinyls for me) or just using VDJ or whatever.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEzfIjDKdd8en22KF24dstjuresBJxJD97GXVtITniR7GRPP35Bw

suppose,the only thing that woulda made these even better would have been if they were made of metal! but then they'd loose out on lightweight status :D

I have these and I gotta say to claim the sound is class is being very generous.they don't sound as good as the pioneers and definitely don't give you a true sound.
    I,ve tried to use these to mix down tracks on these but what sounds good in these sounds terrible on other systems.

There not bad for djing but not the best out there.pioneers efforts blow these out of the water.
    They are definitely robust,so they will last and of course will work perfectly fine for djing but I'd go for the pioneers there trying to copy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm a Dj myself and have spent hundreds of euro and countless hours testing headphones and I've finally come to the conclusion that for me the pioneer hdj2000s were the best. I'm using mine on a daily basis for the past 1.5 years and they've not given an inkling of trouble, they're extremely comfortable, sounds are excellent from them, they're nice and light plus most of the parts are available ie. Jack cable, dad pads etc.

I used the predecessors the hdj 1000 and whereas they were great the build quality wasn't as good and the hinge gave up after 8 months of use. The senn hd25s are excellent too but I didn't feel comfortable after about half an hour use.

I also tried technics,bose,dr dre,skullcandy and beyrdynamic but whereas they sounded ok I wasn't convinced they would stand up to the test of time.

As with all the headphones available make sure you get genuine ones and NOT any of the copies around. Some of the knockoffs are extremely good, I seen a set of hdj2000 knockoffs and couldnt tell the difference until it was pointed out to me. My advice is to buy from a reputable dealer either a bricks and mortar shop or the likes of thomann.

Good luck finding your headphones a good set makes all the difference.

+1 on these. You can have there's on for hours on end and the comfort they give is just great. Not only are they comfortable but the sound is excellent too. Nice bass from them so it helps when mixing without you having to jack up the volume. Great built quality as well and parts are easily replaced. Even with all that they look pretty nice as well. A good set for the long term if your willing to shell out for them though. I paid €300 for mine over a year ago. Not one issue since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Sennheiser 25's are the last pair of headphones you'll ever buy unless somebody nicks them, at which point you'll go straight out and buy another pair.

Quoting this to make sure the OP reads it.

Idiots on the street is one thing, but I'm pretty sure 2ManyDjs had a pair the other night.

Fairly safe to assume they got them for free, and may even be getting paid to wear them.

Fairly safe to assume they got them for free, and may even be getting paid to wear them.

True, just would have hoped they'd have a little more respect for their own trade.

Cant have everyone turning into guetta: (see how many product placements can you spot)

OT but meh

OT: I have the 205s, just bought a second pair, actually. Will be upgrading to their bigger brother the 25s as soon as work kicks off again. Them or the Crossfade LP's from Vmoda, just because they're shiny(but also sound great).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

+1 on these beauties!

I've had a pair of these for over 3 years now and not one problem with them. Rock solid and a nice crisp sound from them. Headphone jack on mine is a right angled one. i think this is standard on them.

Had the pioneer 1000's - good sound but the build quality is pants.

I have a set of HD 25's that i bring as a back up. Savage bass from them. Yes every part is replaceable - a bit pricey but i have had mine now for over a decade now

If you're looking at getting pioneer or any set of headphones online get them from a reputable online store. On the pioneer forums the amount on knock off's of 1000 and 2000's is unreal.

Just went for lunch with my mate today who is ditching his HD25's for a pair of Beats after getting a lend of a pair for a week long trial!

He says they're way overpriced, but he's getting them at a mad discount so they're juuust about affordable, he also says the sound isn't "honest" (as in they're not suitable for studio stuff at all but they're really comfortable and the sound is amazing and quite unlike anything he's ever heard before...

I'll be sticking with my HD25's, Irish made, all the parts user replaceable, incredible sound and built to last, but given my previous dismissive remarks about Beats, I'm willing to concede they mightn't be that bad after all!

Beats = Strapping a set of Funktion 1's to the side your head, subs n' all

Senns = Strapping a set of HS80's to the side of your head

Can't say I found the beats more comfortable than the Senn's mind you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

So true, exactly what I did when my old set went missing in McGruders on NYE 2007!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I also own a pair of AIAAA TMA-1s.

Amazing headphones (google reviews etc), not quite as good as HD25s but not far off, they look slick too (a nice bonus).

AiAiAi%20TMA-1%20Headphones%20Amazing%20sound%20comes%20at%20a%20premium.jpg

REVIEW http://www.headphonetalks.com/view/104648/AiAiAi_TMA1_Headphones_Amazing_sound_comes_at_a_premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

The HD25s are by far the best choice. Nice and light for those marathon sessions. Get the mk II version as they come with a 3.5mm stereo jack and a 6.3mm adapter unlike the HD22 SP II.

• Advertisement

expensive-headphones-sennheiser.jpg

Senn would like you to believe that these are, not that any of us will ever spend 15K GBP on a set of cans though.

^ :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Cant have everyone turning into guetta: (see how many product placements can you spot)

I didn't think he could look like a much bigger gimp, but that Renault in the video changed my mind! :D

Anyway thanks for all the info...haven't been on here in a few days, hence the delay in a reply! But after reading through all this I'm split between the Technics posted on the first page or the Senn 25's.
    A friend of mine had the 25's and the first time I tried them one of the wires came loose causing the sound to cut in and out...that alone has put me off them. :(

Advertisement