Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using nokia phone as a WiFi access point?

Options
  • 04-08-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

I have a Nokia E52 which comes with WiFi and I wish to use it as a wifi access point to connect my desktop PC to the local WiFi LAN.

Any ideas?
    I've seen it done with other phones but dont know how to do it..

Also I have an iPhone but gather I cant use this as an access point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Not sure if you can use your phone as a connection point to connect to a wifi network... but this application will point you in the right direction - http://www.joiku.com/products/joikuspot_light ...used to use it a lot, works well

It works by allowing you to use your phone as a WiFi access point but the connection to the internet will go over the mobile network not your local WiFi

So, Desktop PC > E52 WiFi > 3g/edge connection via mobile network

are you looking for

Desktop PC > E52 Wifi point > LAN WiFi router > interwebs!?

That's a handy app to have above actually anyways, works grand on symbian s60 v3 ..pretty sure thats the os on your phone

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The best way to connect your pc to your wifi is to buy a usb wireless dongle.

The post above would suggest that you would be using the phones 3g connection to get on the internet - this seems to me to be potentially very costly in data terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

-=al=- wrote: »
    Not sure if you can use your phone as a connection point to connect to a wifi network... but this application will point you in the right direction - http://www.joiku.com/products/joikuspot_light ...used to use it a lot, works well

It works by allowing you to use your phone as a WiFi access point but the connection to the internet will go over the mobile network not your local WiFi

So, Desktop PC > E52 WiFi > 3g/edge connection via mobile network

are you looking for

Desktop PC > E52 Wifi point > LAN WiFi router > interwebs!?

That's a handy app to have above actually anyways, works grand on symbian s60 v3 ..pretty sure thats the os on your phone

This looks like just the job...I'll give it a go today :)

I'm heading to an area with no wifi for a week and want web on my laptop and not just my fone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yeah it should do the job just check your data plan for your phone make sure there's no naff charges for using it, there's a counter on the app as your using it

ive often turned images off browsing to save some mb, but i had crappy allowances last time I used it but it does the job for some simple browsing!

Advertisement