Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with ringing in but not out

Options
  • 04-08-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

The room I have my eircom box in, i got drylined recently. Discovered I had problem with my phone - if a person rang me the phone rang once and then they got a hissing sound. I couldn't ring out either. Eircom came and put in a new box but there were two extension cables running to the box which they left not wired.
    The main phone in the house is on one of these extension lines. If I plug in the phone to the eircom box - all works. I figured out how to wire the extension - just connect to L1 & L2 in the box. I can now ring out on the phone and my broadband is working fine. But if someone rings me, they get a hissing sound - I hear the phone ring once but no more.
    There is a filter for broadband connected to the eircom box. Is it possible that this is gone faulty. The builders were not careful around the box and the room was very damp while the plaster was drying out. Anybody any ideas where I should be looking for the problem. My sky box is attached to the same extension i have my phone on and the signal test says it is working fine. So the only problem i have is when someone rings the number - it is cutting out.

If it is the filter can i get a new one of these - where do i get them??

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

AnnRo wrote: »
    The room I have my eircom box in, i got drylined recently. Discovered I had problem with my phone - if a person rang me the phone rang once and then they got a hissing sound. I couldn't ring out either. Eircom came and put in a new box but there were two extension cables running to the box which they left not wired.
    The main phone in the house is on one of these extension lines. If I plug in the phone to the eircom box - all works. I figured out how to wire the extension - just connect to L1 & L2 in the box. I can now ring out on the phone and my broadband is working fine. But if someone rings me, they get a hissing sound - I hear the phone ring once but no more.
    There is a filter for broadband connected to the eircom box. Is it possible that this is gone faulty. The builders were not careful around the box and the room was very damp while the plaster was drying out. Anybody any ideas where I should be looking for the problem. My sky box is attached to the same extension i have my phone on and the signal test says it is working fine. So the only problem i have is when someone rings the number - it is cutting out.

If it is the filter can i get a new one of these - where do i get them??

Thanks for any help.

Hi Anro
    if work has been done internally and you have extentions leading from your main phone socket you may need to have these extention cables checked by an electrician. If you PM me your tel. no I can run some tests for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 47 AnnRo

Tony

Thanks for your reply. I found the problem. The 2 inch telephone cable that connects the broadband filter to the eircom box was the problem. Once I replaced that - all systems back to normal. You could see black on the metal pins on the plastic connector so it must have got damp with the plaster drying or could have got plaster on it.

So next time I get any work done, I'm disconnecting my phone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

AnnRo wrote: »
    Tony

Thanks for your reply. I found the problem. The 2 inch telephone cable that connects the broadband filter to the eircom box was the problem. Once I replaced that - all systems back to normal. You could see black on the metal pins on the plastic connector so it must have got damp with the plaster drying or could have got plaster on it.

So next time I get any work done, I'm disconnecting my phone. :)

Thanks for letting me know AnnRo, happy you were able to resolve issue so quickly and no damage done during build, which can be a big headache.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Darragh18

ok i have been with eircom for nearly 3 years and using this router for online gaming for xbox 360 i finally got it sorted after 2 years and eircom decide to update something on it so now im back to square one the xbox 360 gets kicked off xbox live every half hour to hour again can anyone help me im on version 3

Advertisement