Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Original Will...

• 04-08-2011 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭

If someone could be so kind as to answer the following questions I'd be very grateful...
    1. Can a solicitor withhold a Will pending (disputed) payments for legal services? I know they can withold files/paperwork but would this include a Will?
    2. Can Grant of Probate be applied for without an original copy of the Will? Even were the solicitor holding it refuses to release it to the executor?
    3. The 12 month limit for applying for a GOP... what happens if you exceed the 12 months?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

*bump*

Anyone? A simple YES/NO will do...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Scotty # wrote: »
    If someone could be so kind as to answer the following questions I'd be very grateful...
    1. Can a solicitor withhold a Will pending (disputed) payments for legal services? I know they can withold files/paperwork but would this include a Will?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

A solicitor can have a lien over documents in his possession and may choose to withold those documents pending payment of fees that are owed to him.

It can be possible to apply to court to prove a Will in terms of copy where the original Will has been lost. In those circumstances, a Grant could be extracted without the original Will. However, where the original Will is still in existence, I doubt a court would allow such application.

As regards the 12 month time limit, this is the "executor's year". My recollection is that no action can be taken against the executor within that time. I don't recall any further significance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

A will can't be the subject of a lien, whatever about other documents. A letter should be sent to the law society about this immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

A citation can be sought from the probate office that the original will be produced for the purposes of having it admitted to probate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Thanks everyone for your help. They haven't actually withheld the Will, I just wanted to know where I stand. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

A will can't be the subject of a lien, whatever about other documents.

Where does the law state that?

Advertisement