Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify...Future of listening to music??

Options
  • 04-08-2011 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

So I keep seeing all these ads for a new service called Spotify. Apparently as a member you can listen to any song by any artist instantly on your computer for free, and as a paying member even on the go on your phone. Sounds too good to be true if you ask me. Has anyone heard anything about this or tried it? The concept sounds interesting and it also seems to have a big focus on the sharing of music with other members...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

New?

Been using it for about a year now. It's the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

How would it compare to Last.fm which is what i'd use a lot? Particularly the "suggested artist you may like" side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Yep spotify has been around for a good while atleast 2 or 3, very similar to grooveshark which is another great service and Irish can actually get it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why not just use youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Seems alot like We7 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Seems a lot like Eircom Music Hub too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

FlipFlop23 wrote: »
    So I keep seeing all these ads for a new service called Spotify. Apparently as a member you can listen to any song by any artist instantly on your computer for free, and as a paying member even on the go on your phone. Sounds too good to be true if you ask me. Has anyone heard anything about this or tried it? The concept sounds interesting and it also seems to have a big focus on the sharing of music with other members...
    The whole concept of music streaming has been around for a good few years now so it's nothing new. Spotify isn't officially available in Ireland yet and only became officially available on the US recently, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I can get free Last.fm radio using Ubuntu's Rhythmbox music player and that pretty much suits me at the moment as I don't really stream much music.
    AdamD wrote: »
    Why not just use youtube?
    Youtube is far too cumbersome to use when listening to a lot of music and also the bit-rates are usually terrible. I only listen to music on youtube when I want to check out a particular artist before buying/downloading their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

If anyones interested they have most of Bill Bryson's Audiobooks on it now.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    The whole concept of music streaming has been around for a good few years now so it's nothing new. Spotify isn't officially available in Ireland yet and only became officially available on the US recently, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I can get free Last.fm radio using Ubuntu's Rhythmbox music player and that pretty much suits me at the moment as I don't really stream much music.

Youtube is far too cumbersome to use when listening to a lot of music and also the bit-rates are usually terrible. I only listen to music on youtube when I want to check out a particular artist before buying/downloading their music.

I'm on it more than 2 years, paid for the first 2 months free since then and I'm living in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'm on it more than 2 years, paid for the first 2 months free since then and I'm living in Dublin
    That's strange, "Not available in your country yet" is the result I get on their website. According to all sources online spotify isn't officially available in Ireland yet, I don't know how you're getting it. I know there are some ways to get around it though which I must try sometime.

• Advertisement

Zero1986 wrote: »
    That's strange, "Not available in your country yet" is the result I get on their website. According to all sources online spotify isn't officially available in Ireland yet, I don't know how you're getting it. I know there are some ways to get around it though which I must try sometime.

Didn't get around it, paid for it for 2 months at 9.99 a month then have the free version of it since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

Is Spotify now available in Ireland?... had it abroad, but tried to install it here and got the message of forbidden country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

No :mad::mad: I managed to get to sign up during a brief window of opportunity. It's a crying shame that we can't have it here because it sure as hell beats illegally downloading music and there's just so much stuff on it. The only snag from what I can see, apart from that, is that some music which had been available on it has disappeared.

Advertisement