Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 National Hill Climb Championships

• 04-08-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

This is the climb: http://app.strava.com/segments/631099

From irishcycling.com

"Usher Irish Road Club on behalf of the Cycling Ireland Road Commission present tge 2011 National Hill Climb Championships.
    The course selected for this years Championship is based on Kilmashogue Lane, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin, at the foot of the Dublin Mountains.

It is a relatively short course at 2.5 kilometers, but its steepness is what will make the winner a worthy Hill Climb Champion for 2011.

The course gradient is at an average of 9.6% with the steepest section coming in the final 200metres to the finish where it risers to 16%

Sign on for the event is at St. Columbas College Sports Hall at the foot of the climb.

We have opted to spread the prizes around a bit giving all categories something to race for by not only having the Cycling Ireland Championship medals on offer but also prizes for the top three Senior, Junior, Veteran and Women. So although riders may not have the fastest time on the night, they can go away with something and knowing that they were in the top three of their championship category.

As this is a National Championship, it is Pre entry only. Entries close on Wednesday 24th August.
    Sign on opens at 5:30pm on Friday 26th August with the first rider off at 7pm. Riders will be seeded and a start list will be available on Thursday 25th August."

I'm looking forward to it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Actually went up this last night. First time in six months. Felt tougher this time round for some reason! Bloody hard work. Nearly came to a standstill at one point!! Feels every bit of the 16%. Great one for the nationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Great stuff Ryan, would like to attend this (must organise a shopping trip for herself to Dundrum!!), maybe even take part, with the 'goal' of not finishing last :pac:
    I'm guessing this is the School & the Start.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

yeah - that would be it. Hopefully we start at the bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Who are the favourites for this one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Who are the favourites for this one??

Would I be right in saying this is home turf for Mr Sherlock?

Ryan, are the strava times (well your own anyway) from the school or the bridge, and where exactly is the end point? Also, standing start or rolling?

I've driven up there once by accident.
    Beautiful quiet road, nicely paved up to a point too if I remember correctly.
    Some seriously tough ramps though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it is one close to my home. (Cool after traveling the length and breadth of the country for the last 4 years!)

The Strava section is from the bridge to the top - basically, 4 meters before the gate. My times are from a slow (as in 5-10kmph) roll in.

I don't have a "full gas" attempt on Strava.

Go up the road now, beautiful smooth surface to the top - and with those ramps, a deserving champion should be crowned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Nice to have an event like this on your doorstep.
    The fresh layer of tarmac makes it a much nicer climb,still bitch hard though.:D

One question springs to mind,seeing that the road is a dead end,are riders allowed to travel back down while others are trying to set a time going up or are they all stuck at the summit till the last rider crosses the line? If the entry numbers are big you could be up there a while.

One question springs to mind,seeing that the road is a dead end,are riders allowed to travel back down while others are trying to set a time going up or are they all stuck at the summit till the last rider crosses the line? If the entry numbers are big you could be up there a while.

Not sure what they are doing this year but the last three years the early runners came back down them same climb very carefully on the correct side of the road. We have not had any issues in the past. No one should be setting descending records afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not a member of a club, not even a CI member, but would love to give this a shot (its pretty local so a good way to get started)

Can anybody register for this or is it strictly limited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Not sure what they are doing this year but the last three years the early runners came back down them same climb very carefully on the correct side of the road. We have not had any issues in the past. No one should be setting descending records afterwards!

At the Donegal one two years ago I remember we were told not to go back down whilst the event was still on, so when it started pissing rain we all had to bail into the back of someone's van and sit on top of a load of workman tools. It sure beat the hailstones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Not a member of a club, not even a CI member, but would love to give this a shot (its pretty local so a good way to get started)

As a National Championship you must have a cycling licence (not neccesarilly Cycling Ireland) with Irish noted as your Nationality. No one day licences issued or club licences allowed i'm sure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Limited to CI members and A4's excluded from national championships (they may allow you to ride to get a time but you would be ineligible for a title/medal).
    1 days licences not accepted for national champs.
    MichealD wrote: »
    As a National Championship you must have a cycling licence (not neccesarilly Cycling Ireland) with Irish noted as your Nationality.

That is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

As I thought.

My amazing story of no-hoper, living on a diet of fast food and stout, only taking up cycling as a means to get away from the misery of my life, driven on by those voices that told me to build something or someone would come to get me, who had a promising career but gave it all up after a freak cycling accident involving my pet hampster and a spin dryer, taking on the establishment, an outcast spurned by many but driven by a desire to clear his papas name; to National Champion has been thwarted by the suits!!!!

Damn you, damn you all!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

As I thought.

My amazing story of no-hoper, living on a diet of fast food and stout, only taking up cycling as a means to get away from the misery of my life, driven on by those voices that told me to build something or someone would come to get me, who had a promising career but gave it all up after a freak cycling accident involving my pet hampster and a spin dryer, taking on the establishment, an outcast spurned by many but driven by a desire to clear his papas name; to National Champion has been thwarted by the suits!!!!

Damn you, damn you all!!!!!!!

Only €120 for an A3 licence, glory and a gold medal for your grandchildren...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

I was informed tonight that the hill climbing championship is an exception and A4's are allowed to enter(no one day licences).

I tried this "hill" on sunday, I didnt really attack it as I didnt know the climb, I am lucky i didnt go to hard early on. I got "the fear" at one point.
    (I call the fear when you think you might have to quit on a climb.)
    For significant sections my garmin read 19%. I am not the greatest climber and this was at the end of a decent spin, but I think the championships will be a great spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

RobFowl wrote: »
    Limited to CI members and A4's excluded from national championships (they may allow you to ride to get a time but you would be ineligible for a title/medal).
    1 days licences not accepted for national champs.

That is correct

you guys are getting good at the tech regs!!

it will be great. I hope to be there if I am around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Hill Climb Champs will now be run along side an open event, so any Cycling Ireland member (i.e. non-full licence holder) can get a 1-day licence to compete. Hopefully there'll be a few more mountain bikers who know the hill well showing up now, see below:
    Considering your e mail and the many others with largely the same
    question we have decided to tweak the Championship.

It will now be the Usher Irish Road Club Hill Climb "incorporating"
    the National Hill Climb Championship.
    What this means is that we will have the one day licence facility in
    place for those not holding a full licence. This will make them
    eligible for the prizes on the night but NOT eligible for the Cycling
    Ireland Medals for the top three.

It means we are catering for as many people as possible.

It will still have to be pre entry as we assess numbers and allocate
    start times, so entries can be sent as per the original entry form.

So spread the word please and hopefully see you all there.

Regards,
    Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

What does this mean exactly? If you hold an €10 Cycling Ireland introductory licence, can you buy a 1-day licence on the day to enter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

If you hold an €10 Cycling Ireland introductory licence, can you buy a 1-day licence on the day to enter?
    yes, don't forget that you must pre-enter though. There is no sign-on on the day of the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

"Might be working a bit late tonight honey.

Fair enough - why are you bringing the good bike to work?

The internal phlemayser is shot to bits on the other one - I'll get it sorted after the weekend."

Having a blast up it would be the perfect way to get a good vantage point to watch the real contenders in action. The diary will be consulted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Had a couple of goes at this today, just a recce. I won't be taking part on the night, due to prior commitments (last day in work!), so wanted to try out the course.

It's a hell of a climb. First time up, about 500m in, my Garmin said 22%, thought that was tough. Then up around the bend before the car park, topping out at 27%. Bloody hell. Keep going... worst was yet to come. Huge sting in the tail at the end - the last 500m are a steady incline, between 20-25%. I'm not a bad climber, but for parts of that stretch I was consideringd getting off and walking.

Second time up, I barely noticed the 22% at 500m in - the bend is to be reckoned with, but something has to be kept in the tank for the end.

Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/1232005

As an aside, I passed by a man walking the road on each up and down. Having passed him four times, as an Orwellian, I felt compelled to stop and share my life story with him, lest he have a bad impression of the club. He was probably in his late seventies, and was out picking blackberries. We had a good chat about hills and mountains, and turned out he had done some climbing in the Himalayas in 2005, including Everest base camp. So there now. :)

I was up there today also. It's a stinker and there will be a worthy winner. The last bit is tough and is gonna see plenty of folk dying. Hopefully there is a great turn out for support as it is a great arena. It would be ace to do it with people lined all the way up.

Oh and just to add, I got overtaken by a wasp about half way up on one of the steeper sections. Caught the stripey fecker later though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

will be away for this but i might give it a last wednesday night see what time i can put out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

This is the climb: http://app.strava.com/segments/631099

As this is a National Championship, it is Pre entry only. Entries close on Wednesday 24th August.

Does anyone know where can I pre-register for this event?
    Cheers
    DV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Fair play bufallo, that's a good time considering you were only recce'ing it. I see from Strava that someone has done an 8:25, I'd imagine this would be a 'good' time on the night, or will it go lower :eek:
    I'd also imagine that if you had a stripey fella (wasp) chasing you up the hill it would be a good incentive to put in that little bit of extra effort, mmmmm...........perhaps some strawberry jam on the rear of the saddle would do the trick :pac:

Fair play bufallo, that's a good time considering you were only recce'ing it. I see from Strava that someone has done an 8:25, I'd imagine this would be a 'good' time on the night, or will it go lower :eek:
    I'd also imagine that if you had a stripey fella (wasp) chasing you up the hill it would be a good incentive to put in that little bit of extra effort, mmmmm...........perhaps some strawberry jam on the rear of the saddle would do the trick :pac:

Thanks man! :) I could claim I was only out for a stroll, but there was effort made getting up. I'd like to try it again next week, in the evening when it's a bit cooler. Sunday was very warm. Just have to knock 2.5mins off my time, that's all...

I went up this untimed early this morning. Really nice surface for most of it but christ the last bit is tough. I had an 11-25 on and even with a compact I had to get out of the saddle to haul myself up. I earned my banana at the top. I'm not sure if I will sign up for the event but I hope to get there in any case to watch the suffering.

• Advertisement

Up again tonight... it really is a killer climb, you can't save enough for the last stretch at all.

So disappointed to be missing watching and/or participating. :(

Just looking at the thread for last year's championship, there seemed to have been prizes/medals for A1/A2/A3. Is that the case this year? The entry form and info seems to suggest it's just one overall senior championship.

Just curious - I'll only be spectating and wouldn't have been worrying the A3s anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just looking at the thread for last year's championship, there seemed to have been prizes/medals for A1/A2/A3. Is that the case this year? The entry form and info seems to suggest it's just one overall senior championship.

Just curious - I'll only be spectating and wouldn't have been worrying the A3s anyway.

There were prizes/medals for first A2/3 etc but there was only one title on the line.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Can anyone tell me when the road will be closed?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

What would the people with experience of this climb recommend as adequate gearing ratios for the champs? I like to keep a high cadence when putting in efforts/time trialling, but obviously on a climb this steep there is no way I will be in around the 100rpm range. Is 39x25 too big? Would I need more than a 39x27 or have a look out for a compact crankset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Hermy wrote: »

You mean to cars or just walkers/other cyclists? If you want to watch it, park at the bottom (or even in the car park at the back of Marley Park) and walk up. There isn't a whole lot of spots to park on that road, and if you do you're there until the event is over. I'd imagine the road will be closed to cars by 6 but I don't know for definite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

What would the people with experience of this climb recommend as adequate gearing ratios for the champs? I like to keep a high cadence when putting in efforts/time trialling, but obviously on a climb this steep there is no way I will be in around the 100rpm range. Is 39x25 too big? Would I need more than a 39x27 or have a look out for a compact crankset?
    I did it on a 34x25 the other night and I wasn't even close to spinning at the steep part at the end. I would definitely take the 39x27 and if you have a compact that you can put on, I'd be doing that too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I did it on a 34x25 the other night and I wasn't even close to spinning at the steep part at the end. I would definitely take the 39x27 and if you have a compact that you can put on, I'd be doing that too....

I think i'll be puttin on the compact chainset too.... the 52 on the front is just a little too big, i think i need the 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Last chance for signup today and I'm still undecided whether or not to enter for the "fun".
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Diarmuid wrote: »
    You mean to cars or just walkers/other cyclists? If you want to watch it, park at the bottom (or even in the car park at the back of Marley Park) and walk up. There isn't a whole lot of spots to park on that road, and if you do you're there until the event is over. I'd imagine the road will be closed to cars by 6 but I don't know for definite

I want to watch some of it but will probably have to leave before it's over. Would a slow and careful descent be permitted (I'd probably still get off and walk before the blind corners) or is it likely I would have to walk the bike back down the hill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Would I need more than a 39x27 or have a look out for a compact crankset?

I did it on a 39x28 last night. I found the first part okay in higher gears but for the last steep section I was in my lowest gear, grinding away and dreaming of a lower gear again. Mind you, for me at least I'm not sure that a lower gear would have allowed me to get up it any quicker (i.e. I'm not sure I had it in my legs at that point to pedal at a higher cadence) but I might have pulled a few less facial contortions and chewed on my handlebars less.

• Advertisement

I went up it on Sunday morning on a compact with an 11-25 cassette. I needed the 25 on the ramp near the end. I might have got up it a little quicker with a 27 - I generally like to sit and spin and I had to get out of the saddle with the gearing I had. With a standard double, I reckon all but the superheroes would be better off with a 27 or a 28 on.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Christ, tried this hill this morning, (am only a beginner but would consider myself a relatively fit man, but not cycle fit), don't think i even got half way up when i had to turn around, it just sucked the life out of me. Best of luck to everyone who is in the competition, i will tackle it every day until i reach the top. But my god, that is a humdinger of a hill.

Roll up, roll up - entries close this evening!

Go on, sign up and give it a go - I'll run a low key TT up it at the start of next year and it would be a great control point to see how your condition changed over the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Hermy wrote: »
    Can't imagine that the road will be closed - it's a cul-de-sac and people live up there. As regards parking and watching, there's a large car park just inside the entrance to Kilmashogue Wood which is just at the top of the first really steep bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

I want Leroy42 given a last-minute admission, and see his givin'-it-all up to near the top - then four of his spokes break because his close Soviet arch-rival had secretly filed them down before the start, he wobbles, we see a sequence where his dead pappa encourages him Ben-Kenobi style, and he summons an inhuman burst of energy to surge over the line in first place to the soundtrack of 'Chariots of Fire'.

Think I'll just go along and watch anyway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

had a go at this myself this evening- 12.45 from bridge to gate, so I won't be challenging the Ryan Sherlocks of this world anytime soon :D

I'll be there on Friday to watch the suffering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's a great little hill so it is. Really ramps up towards the end. Should make for a cracking competition!

I'll be there pretending to marshall the race but actually marshalling my two girls, who I think I'm turning against competitive cycling for life making them hang around in fading light to watch races and such :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I will be out there to admire the efforts of the riders who signed in. Spoke to the organiser and there is a healthy number entered which is great. Its a pity that there arent a few hill climbs culminating in the Nationals and also it would give the champ a chance to wear it in a race!

Can I ask how many is healthy? Or is it a secret? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

buffalo wrote: »
    Can I ask how many is healthy? Or is it a secret? :)

60 entries, start list on the Irish Road club's site

• Advertisement
Advertisement