Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 National Hill Climb Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Excellent, thanks for that.

So now we start the pool, right? €20 on Sherlock, and a €10 each way on Diarmuid! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Classy field there. I'd see Ryan Sherlock as the favourite but Paul Griffin would not travel if he didn't feel confident of a result.
    Raam work a punt as an outside chance of a top 5.....Maybe more .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Don't forget tawfeeredux too. hmm... I may have to hedge my bets here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Watch out for Ballyhoura.

......going like a train at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

buffalo wrote: »
    €10 each way on Diarmuid! :p
    :pac: Keep your money in your pocket.... That's a classy start list, if I finished in the top half I'd be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Diarmuid wrote: »
    buffalo wrote: »
    €10 each way on Diarmuid! :p
    :pac: Keep your money in your pocket.... That's a classy start list, if I finished in the top half I'd be happy
    And the sand bagging begins :)
    Best of luck to all starters, will make it along to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Diarmuid wrote: »

agreed!

a lot of skinny gits there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I would also keep an eye on Eoin Elliot (although I don't think he has a full license so probably not eligible for a medal), Damien Shaw, Mark Downling (2nd in 2009) and Tighernach Murphy who has been trucking lately!

What do people think will be the time to win it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

robbie bryson will go close. he is extremely good on the steep ramps. Frank billings is very good, Paul dolan is flying at the moment.

I dont know the hill but based on Eoin elliots time on strava it should be 8-8.15 if the conditions are good.

• Advertisement

I'll say 8:15 to win, sub 8:50 for top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I would be very happy to get a top 10, but those projected times scare me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I asked the children this morning who wanted to come tomorrow night. I was surprised when all four of them said they would. I think it's the prospect of vomit.

Anyway, they'll be making a lot of noise (at least until they get bored!), particularly for Raam and Dave Wherity from the club and for honkjelly. I wonder do I have time to buy one of these outfits for the young lad:

54947298.jpg

My wife is coming too - as a Kerry woman she'll have to cheer for Paul Griffin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

boege wrote:
    Watch out for Ballyhoura.

......going like a train at the moment.

If he's going like a train then he'd better hope for no leaves on the road on the night, or he'll be stranded at the bottom of the hill for ages. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I'll have to visit the cycling forum more often, I was planning to do this but the one-day license entries hadn't been arranged back when I mailed the organizers to ask about it. Looking forward to seeing some people in pain tomorrow :)

everyone remember to bring the cow bells!

On gearing - I did the final section in 39x25 at race pace the other day. It was okay - 60-65rpm standing. But if you have lower gears available - go for it!

Come on - a few more time estimates - I know my guess but I'll hold off saying it until later tonight.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna make 9.30 my target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    I'm gonna make 9.30 my target.

pm or am :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭rosscollins88

Just under 7.55-8.00 for the win.8.30 for a top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

On gearing - I did the final section in 39x25 at race pace the other day. It was okay - 60-65rpm standing. But if you have lower gears available - go for it!
    ...which is why i'm going to turn up on my new cross bike. I have a 36x25 and it's a shade lighter than my road bike. Put the road pedals and tyres on last night. The thing flies! Pity I'm not flying though.

I'm turning up a bit blind-folded. I have no idea what sort of time to expect. Haven't specifically trained for it, however I'll let you guess my time based on this: I rode up it 3 times just to familiarise myself with it 3 weeks ago (I didn't know the climb before now). Objective again... to get to know it, and to try to gauge where best to go full gas (I ain't fit enough to go full gas for 9 minutes!). I stayed within my limits and did 11:20ish twice and close to 11:50 the 3rd time, trying not to over 172bpm...maybe just on the last 200m. My max is high 180's, probably 190+ if I ride a 'cross race. That was with a 39x25 and about 2kg extra with water and saddle bag.. Based on all this, I'll be optimistic and target 9.40. Looking forward to see how close I'll be to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Are we all going to taylors after for pints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

kenmc wrote: »
    Are we all going to taylors after for pints?

i'll be going for one beforehand... anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Gonna spin over to watch this. Not sure whether to watch from the bottom or the top... ;)

Anyone heading back to DNS after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Gonna spin over to watch this. Not sure whether to watch from the bottom or the top... ;)

Will head over on the bike too and take some pics. Might make it over early and sprint* to the top to get some shots of the suffering, or just stay at the starting point.

*Total lie

Bring a rope and a few pitons and we might make it to the top...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

cdaly_ wrote: »

If I was going I'd be positioning myself around 2km up, about 400m from the finish, on the ramp just after the farmhouse on the right. Anyone who is movin well at that point has had a great climb, because I'm usually in agony by then, HR through the roof and barely breaking 5kmph. Problem is getting there in the first place, and being in a fit state to enjoy the suffering of others. Pity I can't make it. Bring a camera and report back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'll be driving over. I can't drag the family too far on foot so I might try to park in Kilamashogue Wood Car Park and walk up a bit from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

My prediction after much study::p

1. Frank Billings 7.58
    2. Paul Griffen 8.04
    3. Ryan Sherlock 8.12
    4. Mark Dowling 8.24
    5. Eoin Elliot 8.27
    6. John McCormack 8.36
    7. Tighernach Murphy 8.43
    8. Brian Ahern 8.49

And for the record, Raam 8.57, Diarmuid 9.07.
    I get 5 points if I'm within 5 seconds of any predicted time.:D

hoping to cycle up a bit and take pics from near the top. Probably leave work around lunchtime - should make it up in around 6 hours I'd say.... will be in boards kit I guess,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

What is the cut off time for the Campervans

tawfeeredux probably out with suspected broken elbow after tonights league race :( get well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

I went up there for the first time this evening on a recce and was totally unprepared for that savage last ramp which shows as 18%-19% for about 180m on my Garmin 705. Just about got to the gates at the top but was completely shattered. An Orwellian passed me at the college gate and again on the descent, and yes, he did wave!!

I have the highest respect for all competitors tomorrow, as I now see what you're facing. I'll be there to take some photos (but not from the top as I had said earlier :eek:)

Total dist. 2.48km
    Total time 14:05
    Avg speed 10.3km/h
    Max speed 24.7km/h
    Avg HR 159
    Max HR 169
    Avg cadence 58
    Total ascent 230m

velo.2010 wrote: »
    My prediction after much study::p

1. Frank Billings 7.58
    2. Paul Griffen 8.04
    3. Ryan Sherlock 8.12
    4. Mark Dowling 8.24
    5. Eoin Elliot 8.27
    6. John McCormack 8.36
    7. Tighernach Murphy 8.43
    8. Brian Ahern 8.49
    That's a good guess but you're missing Damien Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

Good Luck to Frank Billings tomorrow night! Bad Luck to John, get well soon dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Had a go this morning with last night's race still in the legs (insert further disclaimers here). 10:41 according to Strava, nice to see one's name on the leaderboard if only for a few hours 'til it's completely obliterated this evening.

Looking forward to watching later on. Speedos - check, flip-flops - check, Basque flag - check.

So my time guess.

If starting from Bridge - winning time 7:45. If from the school entrance, take 18 seconds off that.

Top 5 time 8:15 or less, Top 10 8:45 or less. (take 20 sec off if starting from school entrance)

Looks to be very very tough competition - I think any of 6 riders could take it - all depends on the day! Today!

The forecast is a bit crappy for this, and if it does rain it could make it a bit tricky to get traction on the steeper bits while still applying power.... could be a bit of a randomiser, especially if the conditions change between first and last rider...

Most of the strongest riders are towards the end (as it should be) - the only dark horse is Eoin Elliot who is out early...

Richie Fehill - another MTBer, another one to keep an eye out for - he told me he is really light at the mo and climbing well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Best of luck this evening guys. I wasn't going to be troubling the medal positions anyhow, but was hopeful of a top 10 maybe. Velo.2010's estimate was a bit faster than what i reckon i might have done. Ryan's estimated winning time is scary, i wasn't sure that anyone would go sub-8. I wonder is that estimate based on experience;). I'd love to see Frank do a savage time on it, & i think Ryan & Damien Shaw will be very strong contenders too.

Oh, and my guess for winning Women - 9:20

• Advertisement

Best of luck this evening guys. I wasn't going to be troubling the medal positions anyhow, but was hopeful of a top 10 maybe.
    You still have an option though :D
    FiorenzoMagni.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

You still have an option though :D
    FiorenzoMagni.jpg

I'm not that hard/bonkers...

The forecast is a bit crappy for this, and if it does rain it could make it a bit tricky to get traction on the steeper bits while still applying power.... could be a bit of a randomiser, especially if the conditions change between first and last rider...

There's a reasonable prospect that any showers will be dying away by 7.

Oh, and my guess for winning Women - 9:20

Wow - Raam, if you knock 10 secs off your projected time you could be in with a shout there :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Wow - Raam, if you knock 10 secs off your projected time you could be in with a shout there :pac:

Good to see encouraging posts...

Ps Fingal have the road up to Nags head clean now so its ok to cycle up.
    They couldn't understand how much barf came out of such a skinny f*cker though ;)

Lusk Doyle wrote: »

LOL, I'll have to up my game so!

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Good to see encouraging posts...

Ps Fingal have the road up to Nags head clean now so its ok to cycle up.
    They couldn't understand how much barf came out of such a skinny f*cker though ;)

Full of sh*te, me!

I'm not that hard/bonkers...

Strung out on speed .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Anyone providing live updates for those who can't be present?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

dang. just finished work and wont make it there in time. ill just shout at my laptop instead! :D

Ouch, Christ. Super crowd out, great support. That's the last time that I will ever go up that hill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement