Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 National Hill Climb Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Time(s) gentlemen please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ryan_sherlock
    485 watts for 7:18 (@73 kg) was good enough for 2nd. Lost my climbing jersey to a flying Mark Dowling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

That was very, very hard! If it wasn't for the fantastic support, particularly on the long steep ramp towards the end, I would probably have stopped.
    Well done to the likes of Mark and Ryan who posted such fast times at the head of the field. I'm too old for this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Greyspoke wrote: »
    That was very, very hard! If it wasn't for the fantastic support, particularly on the long steep ramp towards the end, I would probably have stopped.
    Well done to the likes of Mark and Ryan who posted such fast times at the head of the field. I'm too old for this!!

Were you the nutter on the fixie? Talk about rubbing it in! I went up to take pics on my commute bike, triple @ 30x25. Although I did have my heavy camera and lens in the panniers...

Inquitus wrote: »
    ryan_sherlock
    485 watts for 7:18 (@73 kg) was good enough for 2nd. Lost my climbing jersey to a flying Mark Dowling
    Gracious in defeat, sign of a true champion. Well done to Mark Dowling and all who took part.

sy wrote: »
    Gracious in defeat, sign of a true champion. Well done to Mark Dowling and all who took part.

Yeah the writing was on the wall when Dowling went by his minute man and his 2 minute man on the ramp cliff face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Any pics, Ken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

To think 7.18 only got 2nd, unreal times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Well, that was fun. Great evening out. Had a go of the climb myself figuring I would watch from wherever I made it to. Did it in 19m elapsed, 15m34 rolling, 3m26 gasping for breath at the roadside in three separate pauses. Got yelled at by a very comfortable looking boardsie from his car. Still managed to outpace the walkers though while waiting at the top a jogger came up claiming 14m and something seconds!

Met Kenmc at the top along with another boardsie (Galbraith). Saw tawfeerdux walking up one-armed. Got a yell from manwithaplan (accompanied by his very own Bord Planala) on the way down.

Quite a disparate field, one lad (No. 19) in t-shirt and baggy shorts on an MTB or hybrid came flying up to the finish. Another did the climb on a 42x18 fixie! :eek:

Had the honour of holding Raam's bike as he stumbled off to collapse at the finish.

Very impressive to see folks powering across the line, particularly having just done the climb and understanding what they'd just done. I moved down to the top of the last steep ramp for the last ten riders. Serious differences to be seen there. One lad came up over the top, saw the extra climb still to go and just deflated. He carried on though. Watching two riders pretty close chasing each other up the hill when Mark Dowling appeared out of nowhere and powered past them both!

Spun home through town in lovely balmy conditions (after chilling nicely on the hilltop).

Any pics, Ken?

still looking for my memory card reader. give me a bit.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Any time for the winner? Top ten?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gercso

Great race, congartulations to all the riders who competed and huge thanks to all the spectators! They were brilliant! :)

Has anybody seen any results yet? I'm finished with 9:16 time and I just wondering where that would place me in this strong field?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Savage effort from everyone. The winner flew past us near the top of the really steep section. Very sweet cadence - no grinding at all. The Swords guys posted fantastic times as did honkjelly. Good to meet oflahero, tawfeeredux and to holler at cdaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

Think the fixie rider was Justin May (Epic MTB). The guy in the baggies with the flat bars was Vinny Cronin, and when I was leaving he was having another go!

7.02 for dowling i think, sherlock 7:18, shaw got third

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Believe the winner did it in 7:03. honkjelly was 23rd with 8:48 if that gives a yardstick. I'm not sure if the course started and finished at the same points as the Strava segment.

I presume the start was moved up otherwise there was some serious 'mindgames' with the training efforts going on! Savage times there, 8'48 got 23th! Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The Strava segment was longer. I'd say knock 20seconds off that time, but I'd have to look at the map again...

Tough climb. The crowd on the steep ramp near the end was great. Unfortunately after passing that section (200m to go) I collapsed back into the saddle in a heap. Did around 8:46. Happy with that. (well apart from the last 200m ;) )

Incredible time by Mark Dowling. Unlucky by Ryan who was looking very fast when he passed and hats off to Damien Shaw, for a guy of his size, that's some serious hill climbing...

Chapeau to all who took part, it was a great route, selected and very professionally run by Gary and the guys at Usher. A great way to pass a Friday evening. Next year I'd encourage more A3's and A4's to sign up. You're not going to win it, but it's great fun !

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I presume the start was moved up otherwise there was some serious 'mindgames' with the training efforts going on! Savage times there, 8'48 got 23th! Incredible.

Do you have a link for the final times? Yeah the start was not the same as the Strava segment...

• Advertisement

The start was about 100 metres above the school gate and the finish was a bit back from the farm gates. So it was about 40 seconds shorter (for me) than riding from the bridge to the top.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Next year I'd encourage more A3's and A4's to sign up. You're not going to win it, but it's great fun !
    Yeah except it probably won't be around the corner next year.
    On the plus side, I've just uploaded my ride to strava, and whilst I didn't really score on the climb itself, I beat Ryan and Mel from Taylors to Lamb Doyles on the way home :D That sounds like my sort of race to be fair, from landmarkpub to landmarkpub

The strava for the climb itself says 16:58. Although I *did* stop to talk to tawfeeredux for a bit (almost 3 mins by the looks of it) AND I was on my commuter with panniers and a kg of camera too, so that's my excuses and I'm sticking to it. But I don't think I'll be challenging the top 10 places anytime in the next century or 2.

Do you have a link for the final times? Yeah the start was not the same as the Strava segment...

No, looking for them myself. Great time by you. Quicker than my predition but then the course was shortened, slightly!;)

Did you beat your club nemisis Pat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

that was great evening. well done to all...even some cowbells in the crowd..
    time was very impressive.

Did you beat your club nemisis Pat?
    :pac::pac::pac: There;s no such thing as nemesis in a club!!! ( I didn't see the final timesheet but I think we were about 1-2secs apart)

:pac::pac::pac: There;s no such thing as nemesis in a club!!! ( I didn't see the final timesheet but I think we were about 1-2secs apart)

Ok, so there's absolutley no rivalry between you and Pat. Wink, Nudge..etc.

Lots of talent out there if guys like yee are only scratchin' the top 20 riders. Makes one think! (Rocky training montage now playing in my head as I envisage my comeback)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Home:Ballyhoura got 10th. Congrats!!

Jaysus, Eric Downey (23rd) - that's his first ever competitive event. Used work with him and he caught me on my way up and he was just saying "yeah, saw this, thought I'd give it a go" :eek:

kenmc wrote: »
    Jaysus, Eric Downey (23rd) - that's his first ever competitive event. Used work with him and he caught me on my way up and he was just saying "yeah, saw this, thought I'd give it a go" :eek:

Yeah, pretty pleased with that :)

Yeah, pretty pleased with that :)

ah tis yourself.
    I must see if we have a hiring bonus in Orwell :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

.......I did warn you. Spoke to him after and he was delighted with his run but in awe that winner had over 60 seconds.

I watched winner go by mid section on steep ramp and he was attacking it like noone else....noticeably quicker to everyone. A worthy winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

A few crappy phone pics from the Dutch Corner.

Fair play again to all who turned up. Special mentions: the mentaller with the tourer and heavy back carrier who was murdering himself on his run up, and Greyspoke, contorted on his London fixie .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Well I died a massive death in the last few hundred meters. I felt relatively OK as I went past the point where most of the crowd were: the steep bit near the top, bloody sadists!

When I got past them I started to blow up and could barely turn the cranks. I had been heading for something in the high 8 minute region, but that went out the window and I stumbled across the line with 9.08, which funnily enough would have given me joint first spot if I was a lady.

Once again, super support from the crowd. The riders might not react much as they go past, but we hear you and we appreciate the cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Thanks guys!
    Raam wrote: »
    Well I died a massive death in the last few hundred meters.
    Don't think you were the only one, that crowd did wonders for the adrenalin rush, but once they were gone I seemed to fade a bit!
    Raam wrote: »
    Once again, super support from the crowd. The riders might not react much as they go past, but we hear you and we appreciate the cheers.
    +1 couldn't say it better myself, I agree completely! Support much appreciated.

I've got a few photos I must throw up online, will put a link to them somewhere tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Bear with me on this..........

1st, 2nd and 3rd...............

img5230v.jpg

img5232w.jpg

img5226k.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Well done, Ballyhoura. Top 10 is awesome. I had secretly hoped for a top 10 but I was way outside it. Note to self: train harder, there are loads of faster climbers in this country.

Bear with me on this..........

1st, 2nd and 3rd...............

Hmmm, must have something to do with those specialized helmets and shoes :rolleyes:

PM me what kit you were wearing/what bike and I'll post up a photo of you if I have one;)

I have not used the DLSR in a while; and we were facing into the sun so not the easyiest of subjects. I got lucky with a few though I think.

img5163w.jpg

img5166s.jpg

img5168yt.jpg

img5171u.jpg

img5175i.jpg

img5187jg.jpg

My shots here
    If anyone wants a high res just PM me.
    I'm especially proud of my drooler :)

• Advertisement

RAAM and Home:Ballyhora

img5217l.jpg

Sorry mate, looks like the flash did not fire :mad:

And RAAM :D
    img5200r.jpg

img5204t.jpg

img5199g.jpg

img5213w.jpg

img5210r.jpg

Terrific shots Super Freak. Thanks for posting, really captures the pain and the passion!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

Great photos guys

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

The draggy bit after the last steep section went on for ever, like time was in slow motion. My legs probably were too. I was a mess over the line, forgot to stop my clock and ended up thinking i'd done it in 8.30ish. I actually did it in in 8.48 which was good enough for 27th and not the 23rd that i texted manwithaplan. Fair to say that i'm ruled out of time keeping duties at future boards TT's!

Mark Dowling looked the fastest going up the final steep section and so it was no surprise he won.

For a bunch of skinny lads and lasses the sambos were demolished pretty fast. Inside every skinny...

Damien Shaw got top 3 in this years National Crit, TT and Hill Champs. Lad from Bray put it best. He's a triple threat

Thanks for all the shouts of encouragement on the way up. Like i said manwithaplan, have the kids strategically place along the climb next year to push me! Hope the injuries heal well tawfeeredux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RAAM might not have won the hill climb but he definitely wins best facial expression! :)

• Advertisement

oops, missed a couple.

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

Advertisement