Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 National Hill Climb Championships

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Quality photos all, thanks for sharing them.
    The start was about 100 metres above the school gate and the finish was a bit back from the farm gates. So it was about 40 seconds shorter (for me) than riding from the bridge to the top.

Are they marked on the road at all? Might have one last crack at it before I flee the country.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Fair play to yer man on the bike with the front suspension and rear rack-saw him go up at least twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

The speed Mark Dowling was doing on that last section was incredible, 7:02 is an awesome time. Great effort by Ryan too in defending his title. The photos here are brilliant, as sy says they really capture the essence of the hillclimb, pain, passion, pain, really steep roads & a bit more pain! The look in people's eyes as they went past the 'Dutch' bend & saw that it still wasn't over said one thing: 'FFUUUUCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!' Well done all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Hmmm, must have something to do with those specialized helmets and shoes :rolleyes:

yes saw that too. next purchase so is Specialized shoes (from China).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Inquitus wrote: »
    RAAM might not have won the hill climb but he definitely wins best facial expression! :)

looks like he just found out his other half is expecting. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

buffalo wrote: »
    Dunno where the start was but there was some masking tape on the ground at the end; it's exactly where the road widens out at the very top to form the sort of carpark with the 3 gates - i.e. where it goes from a 1-lane road to a spot you can do a 3 point turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Agree with the comments about the great pictures really capturing the event and how bloody hard it was! There is one burning question though....

What was Raam doing on an 8-9kg bike with Mavic Aksium wheels, doesn't he have a tricked out Cervelo? Surely would have given him that sub 9!

edit, wow Brian Ahern great time, is that him on the Stevens, he's looking a fair bit thinner from what I remember-it obviously helped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

velo.2010 wrote: »
    edit, wow Brian Ahern great time, is that him on the Stevens, he's looking a fair bit thinner from what I remember-it obviously helped!
    That's his brother. Great time by him too. Must be in the genes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

velo.2010 wrote: »
    What was Raam doing on an 8-9kg bike with Mavic Aksium wheels

Struggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Another Boardsie. Mr.Grieves.

mr1r.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

raamcaption.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

icon10.gifCaption Competition........

Is that guy in front of me wearing black socks?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

€5000 and a trip to Thailand and I'm a national champion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I think I left the gas on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I could only think of Dougal when I saw that:

172297.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

kenmc wrote: »
    Were you the nutter on the fixie? Talk about rubbing it in! I went up to take pics on my commute bike, triple @ 30x25. Although I did have my heavy camera and lens in the panniers...
    Sorry for the belated response - away at the youth champs in Roscommon all day. Yes, that was me, fool that I am and boy did I pay for it! At least I wasn't last! I had to laugh at the photo -I'm the only one shot from the rear and definitely not because I was going so fast past the photographer that he didn't press the button in time! Even at that stage it looks like I was about to keel over! Prior to the climb I had visions of giving it everything in a final sprint to the line but in the end it was all I could do to remain upright. Maybe I've learned a lesson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Never too old to rock and roll Greyspoke ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

raamcaption.jpg

Who abandoned that mini cooper there?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Still managed to outpace the walkers though while waiting at the top a jogger came up claiming 14m and something seconds!

I was running I'll have you know!

:D

Thoroughly enjoyed watching everyone hammer up that fecker of a climb. Great event barring the minor traffic hiccup I saw at the top as one guy looked like he might have to stop because of the road being blocked but thankfully he got past without having to slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

172463.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

With reference to his earlier pre-event post... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I put together a quick report here: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2011/08/2011-irish-national-hill-climb.html

As others have mentioned - thanks to everyone who came out to cheer us along. It may not have looked like it at the time, but it was a huge boost - thanks!

Advertisement