Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Okay, I'm working for less than the dole, what can i do or am entitled to?

Options
  • 04-08-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I've been in my current job since last november (a big english retailer), we've been told that our hours will be cut from 25 per week to 20, this leaves me with the problem of less money of course but my weekly wage will be less than the dole (also my travel and petrol money of 35 yoyo's)

Now the problem is its spread out over 4 days (it was 5) so as far as i can tell i'm not entitled to get anything off the welfare and if i leave the job i'll have to wait 9 weeks (also we were told that if we were given over 3 days that they would not sign the form to claim):eek:

they of course want everyone super felixably yet will not give any kind of flexability back, my wage on 20 hours will be 187 yoyo's.

dose anyone know if anything can be done, if i'm entitled to anything or is there anything i'm missin, i would leave the job(cause the management is terrible and there is a horible toxic atmosfere and ALL the staff feel the same but thats a whole other thread) however leaving the job is my last prefacence, and of course theres the 9 week thing

Any help or advise and i would be very grateful, even if it your f@*ked, then at least i'd know where to start from:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

ur entitled to nothing if your working over the 3days for the social welfare only thing u meant be entitled to is rent allowance and medical card least ur hours only got cut by five be thankful that you havent got you P45 my hours where cut from 46 down to 30 over four days
    just be glad that you have a reason to get up out of bed every morning and your not sitting around doing nothing bored at home jus for the sake of an euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

It depends on your circumstances. Do you have a family, ie, wife/gf with children? If so you might be entitled to FIS, rent allowance and medical cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

You might be entitled to SWA. Some SWA applicants cannot apply for payment from Social welfare but can apply for SWA because they can't meet their needs.

http://www.inou.ie/welfarerights/suppwelfareallowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd strongly suggest that you visit Citizens Information and/or your community welfare officer, and ask.

I don't know off the top of my head, but there must be some provisions ...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

Thanks everyone for your replys, i dont have any family depending on me, so as far as i can tell i might get a medical card after a 6 month to year wait for one:( well i think it still takes that long anyway, and goin to go to Citizens Information to see what they say, hopefully all my job hunting lately will bear fruit and i wont have to worry about it:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement