Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

course advice please

Options
  • 04-08-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Ok I've been looking at some courses on springboard, and I have been accepted for two courses...

Certificate in computing

&

Certificate in fundamentals of database and cloud technology

I have not worked in IT yet but I would like to, the most I can do at the moment is code xhtml and css, I would preferbly like to go in the direction of progamming/coding.

Could anyone recommend one of these? or which would be better?

thank you and if need more questions please go ahead and ask.

Thanks alot for all/any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

sumsar wrote: »
    Ok I've been looking at some courses on springboard, and I have been accepted for two courses...

Certificate in computing

&

I have not worked in IT yet but I would like to, the most I can do at the moment is code xhtml and css, I would preferbly like to go in the direction of progamming/coding.

Could anyone recommend one of these? or which would be better?

thank you and if need more questions please go ahead and ask.

Thanks alot for all/any replies.

Is this in DBS? Having done computing and IT courses, I wouldn't recommend this course as there doesn't seem much in it. Looks more like half a course really. Databases and web design/coding be the main areas in the course. It might be suited to you since you like the programming/coding side and you have a bit of coding experience in xhtml and css which are suitable for web programming. Then again if you wish to go down the programming route I'd suggest you do the certificate in computing. I just feel that cloud technology/computing there isn't much to it, you could cover that in one module or a short course on its own. I think this course is more suited to someone already working or who has a good knowledge of this area or just wishes to expand their field of study if already in IT.

Certificate in computing

I think this course is more suited to anyone wanting to crack into IT. If you want to specify in an area doing a higher diploma/masters or a professional IT one be best like cisco/java/compita A+/Microsoft Certs etc. I be more in favour of the cert in computing, I would recommend that course highly as you will experience different areas of computing and give you an idea what you really like to do after. The thing about IT you can just do courses at home and study the books and do the exams in certain centres but then again a beginner and practical approach to learning in a classroom environment is probably best for anyone starting out.

Good luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I done a Google on Certificate in fundamentals of database and cloud technology and found this thread.

Started it last night in DBS and by god it was a joke, showing people what a hard drive is etc, pure basic stuff. The tutor didn’t seem to be interested or care and come 21.15 he was gone before anyone could ask him anything.

Wednesday is excel and for someone who done and passed an ECDL I won’t be sitting through 3 hours of that. Just another great idea and or course that’s poorly done, one hour to get people logged in and no idea of the toilets, café etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cloudhead

If a course says fundamentals then that would normally mean you are starting at the beginning.
    perhaps you applied for the wrong course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

cloudhead wrote: »
    If a course says fundamentals then that would normally mean you are starting at the beginning.
    perhaps you applied for the wrong course.

The fundamentals of cloud or database maybe, but not computers.

It’s down to the admin, check what people have and suggest a better or harder course, or even check with the group/s and put the more advanced people into a class!

I expected a course teaching the basics or start of the next buzz word in computing to be more advanced and not back to this is a mouse etc!

Advertisement