Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Tipping

Options
  • 04-08-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭

First off I'm not talking about dumping in rural ditches or farm gates etc, which of course is poor form.

What Ive noticed recently, as in for maybe 8 weeks, is small or medium size bags of presumably domestic rubbish being left close to bus stops or against ESB boxes or at junctions of estate roads onto main roads etc. Ive seen it on the link roads around Littlepace, Phibblestown, Ongar

Now Im presuming this is being done by the same type of lazy scrounging sods who would rather buy cheap beer than put a bit of tax on their banger of a car or tidy their garden or apparently buy the odd bin tag and generally take some responsibility.

Maybe youve seen it, or maybe you will notice it more now (and hopefully it wont become common), but if you do see it being carried out, can I suggest taking a phonecam pic, noting a reg number, stopping your car and generally embarrassing the crap out of the offender (without putting yourself in danger of course). Fingal Co Co have a surprisingly receptive Litter section who are good about getting onto these things so send them all the details.

The same Litter section had those stupid hunger striker posters and black flags taken down from the lamp posts at Littlepace inside half a day recently. And to any stauch criminal/republican offended by that, we're not interested mate, keep em on your own house if you want or in Belfast or Glasgow or wherever the hell

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Larbre34 wrote: »

The same Litter section had those stupid hunger striker posters and black flags taken down from the lamp posts at Littlepace inside half a day recently. And to any stauch criminal/republican offended by that, we're not interested mate, keep em on your own house if you want or in Belfast or Glasgow or wherever the hell

I would have tough they need Fingal permission to put up such poster, other would its an offense

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

The bags I see most often are the official, brown coloured ones left by Council workers for collection. They occasionally go around on foot collecting litter and I suppose it makes sense to leave the bags in predetermined spots for collection the next day.

But yes, there are quite a few scumbags in the area who leave bags where they assume they will be collected by the council 'for free'. Unfortunately, the dogs & birds normally get to them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Maybe youve seen it, or maybe you will notice it more now (and hopefully it wont become common), but if you do see it being carried out, can I suggest taking a phonecam pic, noting a reg number, stopping your car and generally embarrassing the crap out of the offender (without putting yourself in danger of course). Fingal Co Co have a surprisingly receptive Litter section who are good about getting onto these things so send them all the details.
    It would be safer (and probably more effective) to simply just report the reg plate (and car/date/time/place details) to the Litter section. No need to confront the people - they probably won't change their behaviour - a 150 euro fine should work better.

I have reported over 100 littering offences in the last 8 or so years. Every one of them have paid the fine (been in court 3 times, because the people forgot to pay).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

daymobrew wrote: »
    It would be safer (and probably more effective) to simply just report the reg plate (and car/date/time/place details) to the Litter section. No need to confront the people - they probably won't change their behaviour - a 150 euro fine should work better.

I have reported over 100 littering offences in the last 8 or so years. Every one of them have paid the fine (been in court 3 times, because the people forgot to pay).

Did Fingal just accept your report on face value, or did they look for any supporting evidence (photo etc.)? I've heard of some CoCos examining dumped rubbish for any identifying material (bills with addresses still attached etc.), not sure if this is actually necessary though to issue a fine.

Someone leaves a black plastic bag of rubbish outlside my estate regularly, drives me nuts. The really annoying part is that it's mainly glass bottles, free to recycle pretty much everywhere - why didn't they just go to the bottle bank?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

TskTsk wrote: »
    The bags I see most often are the official, brown coloured ones left by Council workers for collection. They occasionally go around on foot collecting litter and I suppose it makes sense to leave the bags in predetermined spots for collection the next day.

But yes, there are quite a few scumbags in the area who leave bags where they assume they will be collected by the council 'for free'. Unfortunately, the dogs & birds normally get to them first.

I've had to ring the council no less than 6 times in the last 6 months because whoever picks the litter, leaves the bag outside my house on a Friday afternoon and nobody comes to pick it up, by the time Monday comes around the birds and local dogs have ripped them apart and the rubbish is all over the place again :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Gas thing happened where i work. A old lad from a house estate not far threw a mountain of dirt outside our premises on an industrial estate. We looked through it we found

Bills ESB GAS, Medical Bills Bank statments, Birthday Cards. Pictures. VIsa Statement. I mean this guy did a huge clear out and didnt have the Sneaky cop on not to include all this stuff. Rang the corpo and they said it was a private estate and couldnt do anything. I even said to my boss sure go to the house with all his stuff in the van and leave it in his garden. But he wouldnt so Mr Dirty got away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Did Fingal just accept your report on face value, or did they look for any supporting evidence (photo etc.)? I've heard of some CoCos examining dumped rubbish for any identifying material (bills with addresses still attached etc.), not sure if this is actually necessary though to issue a fine.
    They accept my report on face value. I have to be willing to stand up in court and repeat my report.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

while Im no fan of littering. I would not be too quick to judge people for doing this kind of thing. People have less and less money these days and the expenses of living just keep going up.

This problem is only going to get worse and worse and the country goes further and further down the toilet.
    Its easy for some of us to judge cause now we can afford our bin and car and what ever else tax. A few years down them road we may not.

I think things should be done to help these people on the lower incomes to meet or be exempt from such taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

while Im no fan of littering. I would not be too quick to judge people for doing this kind of thing. People have less and less money these days and the expenses of living just keep going up.

This problem is only going to get worse and worse and the country goes further and further down the toilet.
    Its easy for some of us to judge cause now we can afford our bin and car and what ever else tax. A few years down them road we may not.

I think things should be done to help these people on the lower incomes to meet or be exempt from such taxes.

I would be quick to judge, very quick! My area has its fair share of these sub-humans who chuck their rubbish anywhere and everywhere. One lazy neighbour literally chucks things outside his own house in the hope that someone else will remove his unwanted items. There is never any excuse for illegally dumping litter. It boils down to laziness, a complete disregard for other people and a complete and utter lack of understanding about how your actions impact others around you. If these individuals can afford the petrol to drive their cars to these areas and dump their crap, then they can afford to gather up all their unwanted items and pay to dispose of them at a council dump, or ration them out into their bins on a weekly basis. Saying that times are too tough for people to abide by the law is just making excuses for these people.

There are plenty of payment exemptions available for those who genuinely can't pay the charges, so I don't buy the recession argument. I think KazDub hit it on the head, it's just laziness.

Probably the worst aspect is that the littering encourages others to do the same, i.e., if the place is dirty then one more bag won't make a difference. However if the estate is kept clean (wind-blown litter picked up, gardens neat etc.) people are much less inclined to dump.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Fly tipping in my area was rampant during the 'boom' times, so I dont buy the too poor argument; though I do believe the charges for waste disposal by both private companies and the council are exhorbitant and need to be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The reason many people fly tip is to dispose of old items cause they've bought new ones. For example there's currently 3 mattresses dumped behind the esso on the Navan road at the entrance to Bridges GAA club. If they can afford new items they can afford to get rid of the old.

As others have said there's people out there that will always dump stuff and expect others to clean up their mess. Do you think during the good times these people would of parted with €100 for a skip bag once per year (like the rest of us) to get rid of this stuff? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

There are plenty of payment exemptions available for those who genuinely can't pay the charges,

I would point out that these are payment reductions and not exceptions. Some just get away with the yearly fee but not the tag cost.

Also the halloween fires used to take care of all them old matress and such but now they crack down on this also.
    All the policies regarding rubbish come down to revenue generation.

As soon as the pay for bins was fully implemented It suddenlly became ilegal to burn rubbish in your garden, giving the poor ol envoirment as the reason, and not the loss in revenue they would have expierenced as a result if people did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

FYI

Not just happening in D15. I live in Irishtown and the road I live on gets hit every few months. Small square and the fookers are dropping those skip bags late at night, usually with garden waste right outside peoples doors.

Hope to god to see them at it some night.

I would point out that these are payment reductions and not exceptions. Some just get away with the yearly fee but not the tag cost.

Also the halloween fires used to take care of all them old matress and such but now they crack down on this also.
    All the policies regarding rubbish come down to revenue generation.

As soon as the pay for bins was fully implemented It suddenlly became ilegal to burn rubbish in your garden, giving the poor ol envoirment as the reason, and not the loss in revenue they would have expierenced as a result if people did this.

It's the other way around - charges are the necessary cost of having a cleaner environment. Fingal have been losing money for years on their refuse collection and are going to privatise it - how is this a revenue generator?

As for burning, I'm delighted that it can't be (legally) done in a garden, especially in an urban area like D15. Even farmers can't burn the straw stubble any more after wheat/barley is cut (must be ploughed into the soil), and there's no revenue reason for this.

The green areas around me have been destroyed by Halloween fires (burned grass, mattress frames left etc.). The costs of this are carried by you and me through our taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

The reason many people fly tip is to dispose of old items cause they've bought new ones. For example there's currently 3 mattresses dumped behind the esso on the Navan road at the entrance to Bridges GAA club. If they can afford new items they can afford to get rid of the old.

As others have said there's people out there that will always dump stuff and expect others to clean up their mess. Do you think during the good times these people would of parted with €100 for a skip bag once per year (like the rest of us) to get rid of this stuff? Not a chance.

Its 2 things I reckon.
    Pure ignorance and lack of respect from the people who dump stuff but also a fault of Fingal in not letting the public know what they can recycle or dump for a minimal fee.

The recycling centre in Coolmine will take household rubbish of any kind except compost waste for the price of a bin tag.
    Paint tins, batteries, WEEE waste, old matresses, buggies, concrete blocs, plaster board, etc..
    I see all of these dumped on the side of a road or in a lane way every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I regularly see black bags of rubbish dumped at various lociations around D15. I also see Fingal Co Co white official bags on the grass verges too, presume they are taken up by the sweeper van daily. Some folk are just lazy/dirty and will always dump. It is not confined to 'scumbags' either. My brother in the course of his work has seen on CCTV very middle class vehicles and drivers dumping rubbish bags too.

Fingal Co Co operate a recycling and dumping facility in Coolmine Industrial Estate just behind the Firestation.

Recycling is free. The site is overseen by Fingal staff. You have to state what you are recycling at the gate and they watch what your at. I was impressed with how they operate.

Dumping is charged as follows:

1 x 8.50euro bin tag for car boot full of not recyclable waste ie for the dump.
    You must divide up the waste and dispose of it as they tell you to in the containers provided on site.

2 x 8.50euro bin tags for full car load ie with the boot area full and the seats down and car filled as such.

Small vans, etc prices on their website. No commercial vehicles are to avail of the facility it must be householders. The staff are street wise so they would know well if you are having them on etc.

I use this facility on an ongoing basis. Cleared my attic, sheds and did not have to get a skip (our parking is shared parking bays so skip hire is a total headache. Really helpful neighbours but still a total pain to organise.)

So there is no excuse for dumping of any kind...

However when I mention to anyone about the facility they are not aware that you can pay to dump as well as recycle and how inexpensive it is to do so....

I agree that Fingal Co Co do not really advertise this facility.

Advertisement