Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC signup confusion

• 04-08-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

I got a call from UPC about a week ago explaining that UPC was now available in my area. I thought this was excellent as I'm on eircom at the moment (crap and expensive) and was looking forward to cancelling my phone line and receiving UPC through my UPC box that I have already for TV.

I explained to the sales agent that I was currently with eircom but I'd like to set up UPC to begin on September 1st as that's when my eircom would be cancelled from. She said this was fine and I spoke to her at length about when my first bill would arrive, how much it would be for, etc. and she definitely understood I didn't need it immediately.

The sales agent explained that they would send me a modem and a courier company would be in touch at some time before September 1st to organise this. I actually got a call the next day from the courier and I explained I didn't actually need it immediately, only from 1 September. The courier said that once UPC logs a new order for broadband, the order for the modem is automatically sent to them and if I wanted to change the delivery date, I would need to cancel my UPC order completely and re-order closer to September 1st. I said that's fine, you can just send me the modem now and I'll hang onto it until then.

I called UPC today to change my start date to 26 August as eircom confirmed that's when my existing broadband account would actually be cancelled from. They told me that my account is already active and I'm being charged for it already - apparently they start charging from when I receive the modem? I told him yes, I had the modem, but I presumed they wouldn't turn on my broadband until such a time as I requested it. He seems to think that the broadband "is always on" and if I had a modem I could connect to it whenever I wanted, regardless of whether I had an account with UPC or not. This couldn't possibly be right, could it? I mean, how would I cancel my account?

Who's in the right here anyway? Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Advertisement