Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside happy pear

Options
  • 04-08-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

is it me, or is this an accident waiting to happen? Was driving down the main street last night when a car flew out from behind the cars parked outside happy pear. He was pulling out from the car park behind pineto/xtravision.

Had to slam on to stop going into him.

i know from experience that pulling out from there is a nightmare due to parked cars directly outside HP, why not restrict the parking to elsewhere (theses a big car park litterally feet away) so people can pull out safely

anyone else encountered this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

According to you he flew out and you had to slam on to avoid running into him. It seems one of you were driving without due care and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

If anything there's not enough parking on the 'main street' - they should restrict the parking to something like 30mins - if you need longer you can go into meridian. I like to be able to jump out of the car, stick 20 cent in the meter, and get a coffee in Cafe Del Stelle. I know after 6pm its free-for-all so hardly any parking on the 'main street' and then those pesky clampers will try and nabb you in the car parks! Super Valu car park FTW.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i think the OPs point is that normally you are not allowed to park "within 5 metres of a road junction unless parking spaces are clearly marked" - in this case there are spaces marked but it clearly impedes the view of people coming out of that carpark (there's also a small parking area behind the happy pear which involves driving over the footpath).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    According to you he flew out and you had to slam on to avoid running into him. It seems one of you were driving without due care and attention.

Go on then ill bite...how do you ascertain that by driving straight down a main street well under the legal speed limit and having a car pull out sharply from behind a row of parked cars at the happy pear i was driving without due care and attention?

I would suggest the fact that i was able to react quick enough when he pulled out from behind a row of parked cars and stop in time by braking harder than i would do normally suggests that i was actually driving with incredible care and attention!

You seem to have missed the point entirely and instead focussed on some notion that i was not driving correctly.

The point i am making is that by having a row of cars parked at the happy pear, pulling out of the car park behind xtravision (particulalrly when turning right) is downright dangerous as you can not see traffic to the right of you. On this occasion it seems the driver did not see me at all (or just closed his eyes and prayed) and decided to pull out and i was fortunate that i was able to react quick enough to stop me from driving into his passenger door.

Parking outside the Happy pear is dangerous, and i dont know why the car park behind happy pear or xtravision is not used by its customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

In fact that accident has already happened. About five years ago my friend got T-boned by a guy coming out of that car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

hous wrote: »
    ...i dont know why the car park behind happy pear or xtravision is not used by its customers.

Because you have to sink a whole euro in the machine for what is essentially a 5 min parkup behind Xtravision. And the clampers are quite active on that car park, plus I think it's something like €120 to release a clamp [don't quote me on that one].

As for the Happy Pear parking, I think that's an informal car park for the staff and bookshop behind??

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Sure its a blind spot, and the driver from the car park should've been taking it easy as people cross the path there without looking, but on the other hand its not possible to drive Greystones main street ,during the day, above 10kph without due care and attention. Its too narrow, the paths are too narrow so a kid can step out anywhere, and people getting into their cars dont care if you're coming down the street and will open their doors irrespective. Oh and those that think they can park on the double yellows if they're just getting something or are waiting on somebody, they are my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

following on from this,I find coming out of the Meridian quite blind to the right,I know there is parking assigned there,but unless it is a jeep or a bus/van (high vehicle,you get my meaning) I struggle to see on coming cars without my nose being in the lane of the on coming traffic,to which I get nasty looks - you know yourself.
    Apologies for going onto another point but I think pulling out anywhere in the town is a little bit of chance,you have to nudge and nudge and the GO!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

should be a 30 zone from Cavistons to the south beach carpark IMO. Wicklow Co Co seem very reluctant to introduce 30 zones anywhere though - in France every town centre has a 30KM/h limit.

Advertisement