Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop cant find wireless router

Options
  • 04-08-2011 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭

i have tried setting up my laptop to the new router i got today wirelessly however when i tried this it just wouldnt work so i use the ethernet cable and it works perfect, my HTC found the router straight away and i just input the password and off i went. I have tried setting up a new connection on the laptop but when i search for wireless networks it isnt showing any available.

My wireless on the laptop is on so i dont know what else to do? any one have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

donalg1 wrote: »
    i have tried setting up my laptop to the new router i got today wirelessly however when i tried this it just wouldnt work so i use the ethernet cable and it works perfect, my HTC found the router straight away and i just input the password and off i went. I have tried setting up a new connection on the laptop but when i search for wireless networks it isnt showing any available.

My wireless on the laptop is on so i dont know what else to do? any one have any ideas?

More info on the laptop please.

Make, model, etc.

Network card might need driver updating.

Have you tried the laptop on another network other than your own? So the network card issues can be illiminated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My toshiba laptop has a little switch on the front for wireless. You would miss it unless you knew it was there. Does yours have one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

its a toshiba from about 2007 and i have had it connected to a couple of different networks before one as recently as last week

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

donalg1 wrote: »
    its a toshiba from about 2007 and i have had it connected to a couple of different networks before one as recently as last week

Check the router settings and see what mode it's wireless network is in. The toshiba wireless probably only has wireless g so make sure the router is not set to n only (although your htc is probably only wireless g anyway).

Next try changing the wireless channel that the router is broadcasting on.

You can run a program called netstumbler on windows that will list the wireless networks in range as well as their channel.

Set your router to one that is not being used and nor is the channel next to it. For example if your neighbours are on channel 7 don't use 6,7 or 8 if possible.

You can change the channel then test the signal to find which one works best for you. It's always good to have the Ethernet cable to hand incase none of the devices can connect after changing the settings.

If you can't find the settings post the router model number if you haven't already (cant check the post on my phone) and I will find instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

yeah there is a little switch on the front its on too, but it kept telling me that it wasnt on and i kept asking it to turn on wireless capability which it didnt so i just restarted it a few times and it seems to be working pretty well now thankfully

• Advertisement
Advertisement