Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I have just done something silly..

• 04-08-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

I gave in to an Airtricity sales rep about 30 mins ago and have just got the confirmation email within minutes of him leaving.

Having checked the bonkers.ie site as mentioned above, it seems I have screwed up. :(

If I apply for the separate ESB and FloGas that bonkers is advising is my best option, will that automatically cancel the Airtricty application?

(Sorry, I think this should be consumer issues. Please move to save me double posting. Thanks)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

kleefarr wrote: »

If I apply for the separate ESB and FloGas that bonkers is advising is my best option, will that automatically cancel the Airtricty application?

No, your application to ESB EI and flogas will be automatically rejected.

You have 2 options....

Wait 20 working days and then apply to ESB EI and FloGas ( this is your best option)

Or

Ring Airtricty and ask them to cancel your application ( this is not a great option as they are not obliged to do this and probably won't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I can't get out of it for 20 days?? :(
    Thought I saw somewhere that I had 7 days, can't find it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

kleefarr wrote: »
    I can't get out of it for 20 days?? :(
    Thought I saw somewhere that I had 7 days, can't find it now though.

you may be right here as it could be covered under "distance selling" legislation which allows for a buyers remorse period, best to ring Airtricty and see what they say:)

This is on their UK site and as it is a UK company I suppose it applies here as well.

The 10-day Cooling Off Period is a consumer protection regulation that gives you the option of cancelling your agreement with us before your registration is finalised. It begins after you sign up and you can choose to cancel your switch at any point during this time.

If we don’t hear from you during your cooling off period, we will begin processing your registration with Airtricity as requested.

Will get on to them tomorrow and make sure that I get names when phoning and inform them that I will send an email and a letter stating I do not want to go ahead with this. Phew.

Email sent, copy kept. Phone call, getting name and sending registered letter with copy of email tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what happens. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Let us know if you require further assistance, kleefarr. :)

Thanks Una.

Just got off the phone to Airtricity CS. All seemed to go smoothly enough and they took all details and said they would pass it to the accounts department asking them not to process the application. They said that there would be no need to send a letter as well, but do you think I should anyway, stating the CS reps name and time of phone call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Mark

Hi kleefarr,

We wouldn't really be able to advise on Airtricity, but perhaps it may be worth a quick phone call just to confirm everything is in order. :)

Regards,
    Mark

Well, needless to say, Airtricity seem to have blatantly disregarded my requests to not process the application. I now have an account number, even though the email and phone call were made well within the 5/7 day cooling off period.
    I have had calls from ESB saying that they cannot process my application with them as the Airtricity application has not been cancelled, despite them telling me that it was cancelled on the 8th August.

I can see trouble ahead and I will not be making it easy for Airtricity or backing down. :mad:

Account has been cancelled. :)

I did contact the NCA though and this is what they said..

"The law in this case requires that the seller must give you specific information – including a cancellation form - and tell you about your right to cancel. This cancellation period must be at least seven days. The cancellation form has to follow strict guidelines setting out:

1. The name of the trader.

2. The trader's reference number, code or other details to enable the contract or offer to be identified.

3. The name and address of a person to whom the cancellation form may be delivered or sent.

4. A statement that the consumer can use the cancellation form provided if he wishes.

5. The date on which the notice is given to the consumer.

It is important to note that any contract that forms at the doorstep without this cancellation form being provided is invalid."

Could be useful for anyone else that has problems.
    Import point to note is the last part..

It is important to note that any contract that forms at the doorstep without this cancellation form being provided is invalid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement