Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Repeats...

Options
  • 04-08-2011 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Well I'm pretty sure I just failed a repeat exam today, did even worse than I did the first time.
    I'm just wondering what happens now as in is there any way I can avoid repeating the year?
    I've heard of people being able to carry a subject on into second year and doing the exam again in May as it's not examined at Christmas. Has anybody any experience of this or does anybody know how likely they are to allow me to carry it on? I'm so disappointed with the way the exam went and the thoughts of having to repeat the year have me at breaking point!!!
    Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Ring Head of dept ASAP I'd say. There are no hard and fast rules in 3rd level as with the L.C and that

Ehhhhh I failed one repeat by 5% and they wouldnt let me into second year.

NUI are ****s.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

NUI are ****s.

Good luck!

Why should they pass you?:confused:

You failed the exam ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You can generally still compensate with repeats so if you've any other repeats to do in that group try your best with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jighooligan

Just wondering if you fail a continuous assessment to you have to repeat that at Autumn as well? Or is it based 100% on the repeat paper?

• Advertisement

Just wondering if you fail a continuous assessment to you have to repeat that at Autumn as well? Or is it based 100% on the repeat paper?

If the module is entirely C/A you fail the year in Engineering anyways. Probably different for other schools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

NUI are ****s.

Good luck!

Failed, keyword there, 40% pass is noting, over in America fail rate is anything under 60%

notsosure! wrote: »
    Well I'm pretty sure I just failed a repeat exam today, did even worse than I did the first time.
    I'm just wondering what happens now as in is there any way I can avoid repeating the year?
    I've heard of people being able to carry a subject on into second year and doing the exam again in May as it's not examined at Christmas. Has anybody any experience of this or does anybody know how likely they are to allow me to carry it on? I'm so disappointed with the way the exam went and the thoughts of having to repeat the year have me at breaking point!!!

Contact your course director and year head. Certain subject and courses, you can bring the subject through to second year if it isn't one of the main parts of the course and repeat it.

If this isn't the case, you would need to repeat the courses you failed, so no need to repeat the entire year with all courses, just the subjects you failed.

The last thing you can do, is if you had personal issues during the year and the repeat, you can try and get the subject compensated for you , this would involve you writing a letter to the exams office explaining what your problems were and how it affected you in the repeats.

Main thing is to contact your year head for information.

Columc wrote: »

NUI are ****s.

Good luck!

Failed, keyword there, 40% pass is noting, over in America fail rate is anything under 60%

notsosure! wrote: »

Contact your course director and year head. Certain subject and courses, you can bring the subject through to second year if it isn't one of the main parts of the course and repeat it.

If this isn't the case, you would need to repeat the courses you failed, so no need to repeat the entire year with all courses, just the subjects you failed.

The last thing you can do, is if you had personal issues during the year and the repeat, you can try and get the subject compensated for you , this would involve you writing a letter to the exams office explaining what your problems were and how it affected you in the repeats.

Main thing is to contact your year head for information.

Arent the likes of 'cheat sheets' very prevalent in the states though ? Harvard is notorious for them

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Arent the likes of 'cheat sheets' very prevalent in the states though ? Harvard is notorious for them

Exams are a lot harder, but asking you to know 40% of your entire course just the pass it is idiotic, and when people complain that they are x% away from passing it.

Cheat sheets are used in certain subjects that i was attending, but they are marked harder, and require a lot more, its more of a real world situation, were you have the information readily available to you, but then it needs to be perfect etc.

Columc wrote: »

Exams are a lot harder, but asking you to know 40% of your entire course just the pass it is idiotic, and when people complain that they are x% away from passing it.

Cheat sheets are used in certain subjects that i was attending, but they are marked harder, and require a lot more, its more of a real world situation, were you have the information readily available to you, but then it needs to be perfect etc.

Ah right yes . I've done a few open book exams . I guess they'd be like that ?
    I agree on the 40% , how does knowing less than half the material constitute a pass ? Mind boggling

• Advertisement

Ah right yes . I've done a few open book exams . I guess they'd be like that ?
    I agree on the 40% , how does knowing less than half the material constitute a pass ? Mind boggling

Ya, just like a open book exam, but your limited to 1-2 pages instead of the entire book. Never was in an exam that allowed more then 2 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

Different courses have different rules for carrying forward classes, as far as I know.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/academic_records/new_website/marks_standards/marksandstandards2010_11.html

I'm actually in a similar situation myself, out of my 12 modules I think I've failed a repeat, not wanting to repeat the year for the sake of 2 hours a week for 1 semester, I checked the info (above link) to see what my options are.

"Carrying forward:Yes A candidate fails the Examination as a whole, but is deemed to have passed in one or more subjects/modules, these results are carried forward."

But under "progression rules" it says

"Candidates must clearly pass one year in order to progress to the next year"

If only I put as much effort into study as I have trying to figure that out :confused:

Advertisement