Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i have to say yes?

Options
  • 04-08-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Who would he be reporting you to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

You're entitled to say no. However, in this day and age, there is always someone willing to do the work so be careful how often you say no.

It's best to sit down with your boss and explain that you want to be as flexible as possible but sometimes you have plans and may not be able to stay on. I'm sure he'll respect you more for this.

To answer your other question - he can't report you. You have done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

You're free to say no without being penalized. The sorry fact is a good portion of managers are very petty with issues like this. If you feel you are being picked on in this respect there are things YOU can do.

Remember: Staff have rights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

He can't force you to stay on, and he can't penalise you for not doing overtime. The best thing would probably be to, on the days you can't stay, say 'I'm sorry, I have plans/an appointment that can't be rearranged'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement