Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help - facial washing to cleansing

• 04-08-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

Ok, I have used a facial wash all my teenage - adult life. I am now 31. But I have to get away from facial wash products. Well according to my mate's anyway. I keep getting these white heads, or little white lumps with a perfect spots, but they are not red - just a white lump under the skin.

One mate tells me that this is because the wash is too harsh on my skin - ridding it of all oil - and so the skin produces more.

So apparently I am to start cleansing.

I have never wanted to use cleansers before as my face does not feel clean unless I use a wash - but i think i have to bite the bullet on this.

So can someone recommend a good cleanser that does not cost the earth but that will do a good job.
    I have combination skin.
    Also, I am not interested in using oil cleansers.
    Or is someone could recommend a good facial wash/cleanser balm or what ever, I would be very grateful.

From a long time facial wash user but who is willing to change, thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I use a cleansing wash in the mornings - La Roche Posay Effeclar foaming wash. Feels clean, and since using this range (also use toner and treatement) the blocked pores (the white spots) have improved A LOT. It's reasonable too about €13. Shifts most makeup as well, and I find is fine to use on eyes.

I use it at night if I don't wear really heavy foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Try cold cream-leaves your skin feeling really clean, hydrated and smooth :D

I use Witch foaming face wash. My skin reacts badly to a lot of face washes and this is the best one for me so I would recommend it
    moisturise as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Use a cream cleanser that you wash off, it shouldn't be too much of a change from using a facial wash. My favourite is Burts Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream, it tingles a bit and leaves your face feeling really clean.

Moisturise too, lately I've been using Nivea Pure and Natural and I love it. I hate heavy creams on my face but this one is lovely and light.

Oh and don't forget to exfoliate. Don't buy any of those exfoliaters with bits in them (Like the St Ives one, which has lumps of Almond Kernals). They're too harsh and them damage your skin. Try using a peel to exfoliate, or a damp facecloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

moonflower wrote: »
    Use a cream cleanser that you wash off, it shouldn't be too much of a change from using a facial wash. My favourite is Burts Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream, it tingles a bit and leaves your face feeling really clean.

Moisturise too, lately I've been using Nivea Pure and Natural and I love it. I hate heavy creams on my face but this one is lovely and light.

Oh and don't forget to exfoliate. Don't buy any of those exfoliaters with bits in them (Like the St Ives one, which has lumps of Almond Kernals). They're too harsh and them damage your skin. Try using a peel to exfoliate, or a damp facecloth.

i like the sound of the above highlighted.
    I heard of another burts bees product - a cleansing balm or something Balm? Anyone ever hear of it or did I pick it up wrong?

I think I will defo give a burts bees product a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

+1 for a cream cleanser you wash off. Clarins do really good ones, I've been using the one for normal to dry skin for years. Just massage in and wash off with a facecloth/muslin cloth and warm water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

This cleanser from Clarins is so nice, you put it on your dry face rub it in and then wash off its gorgeous to use, feels like a facial:D
    [Embedded Image Removed]

sporina wrote: »
    i like the sound of the above highlighted.
    I heard of another burts bees product - a cleansing balm or something Balm? Anyone ever hear of it or did I pick it up wrong?

I think I will defo give a burts bees product a shot.

i decided not to go with this burts bees product - i think it might be too harsh and rich for my skin.

I did however buy a Nuxe Facial gel cleanser - lets see how it goes.

I would love to just splash out and get the Trilogy Facial wash but it is nearly €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

sporina wrote: »
    Ok, I have used a facial wash all my teenage - adult life. I am now 31. But I have to get away from facial wash products. Well according to my mate's anyway. I keep getting these white heads, or little white lumps with a perfect spots, but they are not red - just a white lump under the skin.

One mate tells me that this is because the wash is too harsh on my skin - ridding it of all oil - and so the skin produces more.

So apparently I am to start cleansing.

No need to move to a cleansing lotion a cleansing wash (for your skin type) works just as well.

The white heads you mention are Milia which is a common skin condition.They are formed when keratin (a substance produced by the skin) becomes entrapped beneath the outer layer of the skin, forming a tiny cyst.Exfoliating twice a week ,drinking plenty of water and a good diet will improve the condition.

Your skin care regime should follow like this..

Cleanse wash/ or cream/milk
    Tone
    Moisturise
    Exfoliate twice a week and a facial mask once a week - all suited to your skin type.

Hope this helps :)

@tan11ie - thanks for that

I decided not to go with the burts bee's product as i think it would clog my skin up.
    I bought the Nuxe Aroma perfection Purifying cleansing gel - for oily and combination skin. I have been using it for only 2 weeks now and OMG my skin has improved greatly. It smells so fresh - and it is manufactured to reduce excess sebum production - which i think is a lot of my problem. I do not have near as many white heads - and most of the old one's are gone. I am thrilled.

I think this any my kimberly sayer moisturizer are a good combination - a lot with a few exfoliations.

I am going to get the eva lom revive mask.

I am not sure about using a toner. My mate who is working in this field, told me that one does not need a toner. I remember using one before and it was so harsh on my skin but perhaps i was using the wrong brand - any thoughts.

Thanks again for all the in put. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement