Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish farm salmon

Options
  • 04-08-2011 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

hello all, could anyone tell me where do the people who stock fish farms get the fish in the first place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Can be done a few ways. The Milking, as it is called, of eggs from either Wild or Farmed, mostly farmed as they are more plentiful, is one. Also by buying very young fish from another source, they can be bought in differing sizes/ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 clodagh77

Hello,

Does anyone know if a large quarry full of water could be used as a fish farm?

Many thanks,
    Clodagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

depends what kind of fish you plan on farming and the quality of the water.

Thanks el,

I am thinking of Salmon, but really any kind of fish. I don'y know anything yet about my idea but I own a large dormant quarry - 25 acres full of spring water. This might be a silly question, but would the fish pooh not collect at the bottom and create a problem?

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

Clodagh

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Fish farmed salmon are farmed to a sellable weight in sea water rather than fresh. You could look at artic char although you'd be looking at considerable investment whatever species may be suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

If you had a 25 acre quarry you'd be much better off investing in recreational fishing rather than fish farming. Or alternatively invest in aquaculture not currently done in Ireland, like perch or char

Hi all,
    My quarry is 45 feet deep, and 15 acres. I said 25 earlier, but that included the surrounding area. I am in Ireland by the way, in the midlands. Would I need to get planning permission to say have a spot where you could go fishing on Kayaks maybe, would I need an EIS (environmental impact assessment)? I have a nice safe entrance to it and it is extremely scenic. Would insurance cost a fortune? Sorry for all the queries but any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,
    Clodagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

clodagh77 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    My quarry is 45 feet deep, and 15 acres. I said 25 earlier, but that included the surrounding area. I am in Ireland by the way, in the midlands. Would I need to get planning permission to say have a spot where you could go fishing on Kayaks maybe, would I need an EIS (environmental impact assessment)? I have a nice safe entrance to it and it is extremely scenic. Would insurance cost a fortune? Sorry for all the queries but any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,
    Clodagh

You need to contact Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI), they have expertise in this area. The exact IFI office you need to talk to will be depending on what river catchment you are in.

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/About-Us/contact-us.html

Some contact details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ballyhass lakes have an account here and a PM sent their way might get you some answers too. They did exactly what you are asking to do - recreational fishing in an old quarry. They have branched out into other outdoor activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Dont forget to check out your local partnership company, there mey be funding available under the rural development programme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

I'd say it would make a great carp fishery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

wex96 wrote: »
    I'd say it would make a great carp fishery...

Big call to make without seeing it!

Carp above all need very specific habitat requirements. Who knows though it could be the next "Lough".

Hi all,
    Had a look at Ballyhass, looks very nice. I bought a digger and am making steep areas safe. Will be used for cows to graze on anyway. Went to community resource centre and they will pay 75% of bill for a fishing consultant to do a report.
    Can I post up a picture on this to get a general idea of what you think? In case this is a crazy idea.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Sounds interesting. Would love to see some pics. You could possibly set up a camping area, but I know nothing about this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rsheehan

clodagh77 wrote: »
    Hello,

Does anyone know if a large quarry full of water could be used as a fish farm?

Many thanks,
    Clodagh

Hi Clodagh

I saw this advertisement for a PhD. student project at Queens university Belfast. They are looking in to the viability of farming Perch and might be worth contacting http://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=45385

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Hi Clodagh,
    The problem with farming fish in the quarry would be, as you put it, the build up of poop.
    Farming means high densities of biomass and the waste produced has to be removed or the fish wil be poisoned to put it simply.
    A fishery would have a much lower biomass of fish and there would be little or no supplemental feeding, therefore little or no poop to remove.
    Contacting the IFI would be a good place for you to start.

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Hi Clodagh,
    The problem with farming fish in the quarry would be, as you put it, the build up of poop.
    Farming means high densities of biomass and the waste produced has to be removed or the fish wil be poisoned to put it simply.
    A fishery would have a much lower biomass of fish and there would be little or no supplemental feeding, therefore little or no poop to remove.
    Contacting the IFI would be a good place for you to start.

Bw

Fair play to you clodagh it sounds very interesting hope it works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Any update on this I wonder?

Advertisement