Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not happy with haircut

Options
  • 04-08-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, what would you do if you were unsatisfied with the cut/dye/etc you got from the hairdresser? If they messed up, would you not pay? Legally can you do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Kind of depends. If you ask for something and they do it differently to how you asked and you're unhappy with it, I'd imagine most would offer to fix it for free. If you ask for something and they do it but it turns out you don't like it, I don't know what the procedure would be.

If they really mess up, like cut in a way that can't be fixed, or otherwise ruin your hair, I assume you're fully entitled to not pay (at the very least?).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I got my hair done at home by a friend of a friend at the beginning of last year.
    I asked her to come as she had done hair for some other girls and they looked good so I trusted that she'd see me right. Unfortunately she managed to make a dogs dinner of both the cut and highlights, I was devastated. She offered to let me see how I liked it for a few days and fix it then if I still wasn't happy. She took no money from me at the time and when she rang back a few days later I was still desperately unhappy. She never charged me and I didn't trust her to fix it so I had to take the hit and go elsewhere for a repair job.

Legally I don't know where you stand though, but you'd imagine that if you are truly upset over a bad hairdo the hairdresser couldn't demand payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Moved from F&A. You'll probably get more accurate answers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I get an awful feeling that you're planning to try and get out of paying for your next haircut by pretending you're not happy with it.

And anyway, its only a haircut, not a nose job so its only temporary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

no, probably not, you contracted for a haircut, if what they had delivered was a hair lengthening, it would probably be fundamentally different enough to allow you to not pay.

If they did cut your hair and you want to claim what you got isn't what you contracted for, the burden is on you to show it's manifestly different to the point of not really resembling what you contracted for. I don't think you could in anything but the most extreme cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

oldmantime wrote: »
    no, probably not, you contracted for a haircut, if what they had delivered was a hair lengthening, it would probably be fundamentally different enough to allow you to not pay.

Actually, it's generally a particular style you 'contract for' rather than simply taking a scissors to hair in any kind of random fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Oscar the grouch

I get an awful feeling that you're planning to try and get out of paying for your next haircut by pretending you're not happy with it.

And anyway, its only a haircut, not a nose job so its only temporary.

What they do nose jobs at the barbers now???:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

At the end of the day it's your word against theirs that you didn't ask for a pink mohawk.
    Tbh, I'd imagine most places would be fairly accomadating if something didn't go right. Either a reduced rate or a free fixup after a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It's a good idea to have a wig made up so at least of someone makes a dogs dinner out of your hair you can have a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Run_to_da_hills Please keep your posts helpful & on-topic.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I got my hair cut a good couple of moths ago she had cut it generally the way I asked but a bit more severe. Anyway I left without saying anything I really didn't like it and hated it after 2 days so went back to the hairdressers explained the situation and they were more than happy to cut it again for me just needed to be tidied up a bit. Didn't charge me anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Depends, Women care allot more about their hair, so if they shaved the side of a womans head by mistake then its fairly serious.

However if they do it to a bloke then its not 'so bad'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Say for instance a bride was getting her hair done for her wedding. I would assume that if the hairdresser messed up then she could sue them. I wonder do barbers and hairdressers have some sort of personal indemnity insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

She took no money from me at the time and when she rang back a few days later I was still desperately unhappy. She never charged me and I didn't trust her to fix it so I had to take the hit and go elsewhere for a repair job.

Where did you take the hit so?

You got 2 haircuts and paid only for 1. :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Where did you take the hit so?

You got 2 haircuts and paid only for 1. :confused:

In the first incidence I only wanted very few fine highlights, but the girl put far too many in, made them far too bright and spaced them too far apart. The end result was that my head looked like a wasp, all brown and yellow stripes. Not cool. The hairstyle I wanted should only have cost €50 but when I went to another salon to have corrective work done, the total cost was €146, and I had to get another top-up on that after 4 weeks because of the extent of damage the first girl did. If she had done her job right in the first place, I should only have been paying €50 every 6-8 weeks. The first girl offered to fix her mistake at no charge but I wouldn't let her do my dog's hair after the experience I had with her, so that's what I meant by taking the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

This just happened me.
    I went in to get my highlights redone and to get a cut.
    I asked for a partial set of highlights as it was mainly just my roots that needed doing, underneath was fine.
    For the cut I explained exactly what I wanted.

As the girl was blowdrying my hair, I noticed she still had not trimmed the front of my hair. Not a big deal as a lot of places will trim when it's dry to ensure the length is kept.
    But when she's done drying my hair she asks 'how does it look?'. I had to ask her to cut the front.

At the end this is what went wrong:
    Roots looked like they hadn't been touched bar maybe 5 or 6 strands of highlights.
    Hair looks exact same as I went in barring maybe and inch off the length - I had stressed I wanted lots of layers and for it to look different than what I had.
    I had asked for it to be dried straight as it's pretty easy to do on my hair. It was nowhere near straight. She didn't have a clue how to blowdry.
    She never showed me the back of my hair so I didn't notice the cut too much until I went home.

After 3hrs there, I paid up and went home. But the more I looked the more I wasn't happy. I spent a lot of money and it looked no different than when I went it.

I decided to call the manager and see what could be done. Manager was so helpful and asked did I want it fixed by the same girl or someone else, or get a refund. I opted to go with a different girl to fix it as I had used her before and she was good.

Got it redone yesterday and got exactly what I wanted. Salons don't want you to leave unhappy and bad mouth the place. Give them the chance to make it right and most places will - within reason. Eg, you asking for a red colour and then hating the change is not their fault.

Advertisement