Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Sim Phone needed

Options
  • 04-08-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I need a dual sim phone. I DO NOT want a dual sim phone that are the likes of a chinese knock off. I want one that will accept two Vodafone sims and that will have have both numbers active at the one time instead of having to switch between sims. Has anyone had experience in buying one or could point me in the right direction. The phone would preferably need to be a Nokia or Samsung (though they're not in plentiful supply) but will look at others. Camera is not important and the phone needs to have buttons and not a touch screen.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
    AW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi Ah-watch

I have the Nokia C1-00 which is the dual sim one with both sims NOT active at the same time.

The Nokia C2-00 is the dual sims BOTH active at the same time and I think it has been released but not in Ireland. Ebay is probably worth a shot.

Is there a problem with the chinese knock offs? Someone tole me they are grand...

The audio quality on these cheap nokias is not great for a main phone I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

is there a htc dual sim option available yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

You could set up one of the numbers to forward all calls to the other? I don't know if this is possible with texts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

flatout11 wrote: »
    is there a htc dual sim option available yet?

There have been rumours HTC is going to release one. But no concrete info as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

JoePie wrote: »
    You could set up one of the numbers to forward all calls to the other? I don't know if this is possible with texts though.

I didn't know you could do that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Gekko wrote: »
    There have been rumours HTC is going to release one. But no concrete info as yet.
    you would imagine that they would be one out there by now :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rikkit

Dual sims are a lot more prominent in South + East Asia (India, Thailand). I've never heard of one around here, whereas everyone in those countries seem to have one... I don't know the manufacturers of such phones, but if you know anyone visiting around there soon it might be worth asking them to bring one back? :P

rikkit wrote: »
    Dual sims are a lot more prominent in South + East Asia (India, Thailand). I've never heard of one around here, whereas everyone in those countries seem to have one... I don't know the manufacturers of such phones, but if you know anyone visiting around there soon it might be worth asking them to bring one back? :P

No need for that - they are 2 a penny - on Dealextreme or Ebay - even a few on Adverts.ie. But the OP specifically said he didn't want the likes of chinese knock offs but brands like Nokia or Samsung, or I am sure HTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rikkit

No need for that - they are 2 a penny - on Dealextreme or Ebay - even a few on Adverts.ie. But the OP specifically said he didn't want the likes of chinese knock offs but brands like Nokia or Samsung, or I am sure HTC.
    You forget that Nokia and Samsung both do massive business in Asia... I think Nokia actually sell most of their phones there? Just as a rebuttal to the implication that all phones in Asia are Chinese knockoffs. :)

Guy in work had a chinese dual sim phone. He said it wasn't much good though and he stopped using and just keeps a cheap second phone.

• Advertisement

rikkit wrote: »
    You forget that Nokia and Samsung both do massive business in Asia... I think Nokia actually sell most of their phones there? Just as a rebuttal to the implication that all phones in Asia are Chinese knockoffs. :)

Indeed. :) I meant that most dual sim phones in Asia are Chinese knockoffs! The only Nokia's I am aware of are the C1-00 and C2-00.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

BostonB wrote: »
    Guy in work had a chinese dual sim phone. He said it wasn't much good though and he stopped using and just keeps a cheap second phone.

Chinese dual-sim phones need to be configured . - Afterwards they work brilliantly especially the touch-screen ones .

The OP will have difficulty finding a dual-sim mobile that is not of chinese origin and he also is looking a dual active one , where both sims are active simultaneously .

Not possible imo

Even if he does find one of these , he can still only make/take one call at a time . ( unless he has a body double :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 El Sorab

Hai

I have a Samsung Ch@t 322 dual sim phone. Its a fairly decent phone but a bit of a simple soul. For more high end phones you can wait for the Viewsonic V350. Samsung dual sim phones are readily available in Ireland but the 322 can be a struggle to find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Sorry for not coming back to this sooner. The reason I said I didnt want a chinese knockoff was Id be inundated with oh get the Hiphone crap. Ive seen and used them before and wouldnt waste a tenner on alot of them. I was looking at some of the Samsungs and came across one, cant remember the model but looked very like (not the same) as the popular Tocco Lite here. And the reason I wanted two active at the same time would be because it would eliminate the call divert charges which would rack up amd then you wouldnt have the texts either as you cannot divert texts. I think Samsung must nearly be the only option if I want something half decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 G.U.R

Dont know a whole lot about dual sims but remember seeing this the other day. Dont know if its any good or if the price is good.
    http://www.maxroam.com/Shop/Product/Detail.aspx?ProductId=1128&cur=EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Nokia C2-03 looks like a nicely made dual-SIM phone, if you like slider mechanisms, but I'm not sure if it'll reach here at all.

... he also is looking a dual active one , where both sims are active simultaneously .

Not possible imo...

I thought that was the whole point of them. Both sims being active. A call on either sim, can be answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Older dual-SIM phones worked on a "standby" basis - you had your two SIMs installed, but only one could connect to the network at the one time. You manually switched between the two SIMs. Basically just saved you the hassle of opening the back and changing SIMs manually.

New phones run "active" SIMs. Both are connected, and when a call arrives for either number, your phone rings.

Advertisement