Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dell Laptop is suffering from a known fault - what are my rights?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fair point. I wasn't defending dell, if thats how it appeared. All sellers of these laptops should have taken them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

BostonB wrote: »
    Fair point. I wasn't defending dell, if thats how it appeared. All sellers of these laptops should have taken them back.

Yeah i've always been a big fan of DELL until this laptop and it's been giving me problems. I'm just gonna change to Apple once this get's sorted. I find their stuff easier and more reliable to use, plus as I now own an iPhone and iPad it's good to have them all in sync.

Gonna try ring DELL up today. No reply from email anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

Definitely phone them first before going down the SCC route. I'm currently in the process and after being pushed around getting little to no satisfaction am due in the SCC soon.

That nvidiadefect site is good for guidelines as to how to go about it all. I got an independent technician report to clarify the problem yet when sent to Dell they still deny it. The letters received from the solicitors are intimidating to say the least but I'm not too bothered by those kind of tactics. Win or lose it's only going to cost 15 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just thought I'd update this with what happened.

I called tech support. Very rude Indian rep on the phone that made me do a number of tests which took a long time. Then I got a hard drive related error. He insisted my problems were related to that even though I explained my screen was the problem. He offered a repair with a new HDD but it would cost €200+. Very rude and bad experience and he kept cutting across me every time I spoke.

I used the template letter from nvidiadefect.com and sent off a registered letter to their office in Ireland. Less than 24 hours later I received a call from the corporate office from an Indian guy. Again he insisted it was a hard drive problem. I told him two people had told me otherwise. He then agreed to send a courier to collect it and they'd do their own independent check up. I said only if they'd give me a guarantee on the nvidia chip if it was replaced and he gave me a 5 year one through email.

However around a week later after I had it collected I received it back. The report stated they had replaced the hard drive and cleaned the heatsink. I then received a call next day and he explained that they had given me a one time free repair. And I wasn't charged for the HDD replacement.

The indian lad from the corporate office was very helpful. He kept in regular contact with updates and was a great communicator. Have to say now my laptop is running smoothly again and it doesn't heat up or make the loud fan noise it did previously. No screen issue either.

So for now problem solved. It still strikes me strange that they still replaced the HDD for free even thought they said I'd have to pay if it wasn't the chip. I just hope it's a permanent fix.

Advertisement