Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Website review for labeling solutions company

• 04-08-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

I'm just looking for some feedback, and suggestions for improvement for this site http://www.bsslabelit.ie/ . It's the company my dad works with, and they’re not happy with the job done on their site.

I've made a list of problems that I can see with it (general aesthetics for one), and was looking crowd some outside opinions on it. I'm a (dig.media) student, and as such, don't really consider myself an authority on what makes a good and bad website.

Any help would be much appreciated. Deconstructive criticism welcome. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The name is pretty bad - it must be a real chore telling someone the URL over the phone. It's better to have an audible name that makes sense when written down, even if it isn't the name of your company exactly.

Overall the site looks generic and boring - there is no evidence of a real business there, the site is just full of stock photography and catalogue images.

It looks old fashioned - when was the site designed out of interest? Look at the star burst graphic on the About us page for example.

To instill trust on the internet, you need to show some individuality. Maybe a shot of the premises, the staff etc. This way the customer knows who they are dealing with, because right now the site could belong to absolutely anyone.

There could at least be a reference to your location on the upper half of the site. Like, "Business Support Solutions, Dublin Ireland" - at least then the customer knows you're local.

The "or send us an email" should be clickable either as a mailto:, or to lead in to the Contact page.

All the product information is in PDF format - this is bad from a usability point of view as it slows down browsing and will discourage the user from checking out more products. You should have a summary of features on-page, and then users can download the full spec sheet if they want to.

Also, you don't notify the user that clicking the image leads to a PDF - again this is bad from a usability point of view.

There's a very annoying error pop up when I click the Location page.

And last but certainly not least, no attention to SEO.

Hope some of that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eoghanhickey

Hi Cianos. Cheers for the feedback. I've forwarded your points on.

I agree that the name is a bit of a mouthful.

The problem with the design of it, is that it's built using a really crappy content management system, which doesn't allow very much flexibility. That, and it's not being updated by anyone with a hint of design aesthetics (usually my Dad).

I think the site was designed about a year ago (by a legit web design company).

I hadn't realised that there was no Seo, but it would explain why the company is spending a small fortune on adWords.

Honestly, I think the whole thing needs to be rethought, and redone.

Advertisement