Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers on Golf Link's Road

• 04-08-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm moving to Limerick soon and was just wondering what internet providers people on the Golf Links Road use? I tried NTL but they said they aren't available in the area! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

*Bump*

Also live close to golf link road (Kylemore) and wondering about broadband alternatives - currently with Smart but only getting 2mb connection at the very best and desperately looking for a better service. Like OP would love to get UPC installed but they don't have any lines to this estate.

Would like to hear from anyone living in the area who has a good connection.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Friend of mine lives in Glanntan and is with Eircom, he has the top package with them and it is fast enough for downloading streaming without buffering and the likes. He paid to get the unlimited data as they screwed him over with the miserly 10 g a month. Not a patch on UPC, but unfortunately UPC arent in that area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Try satellite broadband, There are a few local providers based in Limerick. Often greener, faster and available everywhere that you were offered a new shed rather then a fiber line! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    *Bump*

Also live close to golf link road (Kylemore) and wondering about broadband alternatives - currently with Smart but only getting 2mb connection at the very best and desperately looking for a better service. Like OP would love to get UPC installed but they don't have any lines to this estate.

Would like to hear from anyone living in the area who has a good connection.

Cheers

P.M sent

I'm working as an independent contractor at the moment. If anyone has problems with their DSL I have equipment that can test the line capacity. Feel free to pm me.

Mods please delete the post if you think its beyond the guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The Snipe wrote: »
    Try satellite broadband, There are a few local providers based in Limerick. Often greener, faster and available everywhere that you were offered a new shed rather then a fiber line! :P

Whatever you do, do not go near satellite. It is brutal with tiny data limits. Once you go above your monthly allowance your speed will decrease to nothing. Avoid imo.

Go wireless over satellite any day. Not many fixed wireless companies in the city though as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

vkid wrote: »
    The Snipe wrote: »

Whatever you do, do not go near satellite. It is brutal with tiny data limits. Once you go above your monthly allowance your speed will decrease to nothing. Avoid imo.

Go wireless over satellite any day. Not many fixed wireless companies in the city though as far as I know.

Sorry it was wireless is ment my bad :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

Anyone actually living in Glanntan or Kylemore want to offer advice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Pandiani wrote: »
    Anyone actually living in Glanntan or Kylemore want to offer advice??

I'm living in Kylemore, we were with Eircom when we moved here first and they were bad enough then we signed with vodafone and they are just dreadful cant even download songs or update my xbox with xbox live because the broadband is so bad. eircom were better but not by much. We cant get UPC here if we could I would in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Vodafone are using the same lines as Eircom so not going to be much difference tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

contact steveon from this site, he may be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Hi Guys thanks for all your help so far.

One more query! Has anyone ever heard of / dealt with Homevision? Heard of them in a different thread and just wondering if anyone has any dealings with them. Their line-checker states that I could be receiving 6MB as opposed to the 2MB Smart says I can get. Now they might just be checking the castletroy exchange instead of our physical line in.

Mr TTime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Hi Guys thanks for all your help so far.

One more query! Has anyone ever heard of / dealt with Homevision? Heard of them in a different thread and just wondering if anyone has any dealings with them. Their line-checker states that I could be receiving 6MB as opposed to the 2MB Smart says I can get. Now they might just be checking the castletroy exchange instead of our physical line in.

Mr TTime

If Smart say all you will get is 2Mb, then that is all you will get, why, Smart are one the the few operators who have unbundled the Castletroy exchange, Homevision are only an Eircom reseller, and will tell you whatever lies they have to, to get you to switch to them, stay as far away as you can from those idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

talking to my pal therte in Glanntan, he had smart, was terrible, then he moved back to Eircom after a terrible time with them a few years back. This time much better, he is getting 6mb consistently. He is delighted with that. Poor dude doesnt know what UPC is like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Magnet are another Eircom reseller but we've been with them happily for over a year in the Castletroy area. Decent customer service anytime I called them. They can be flexible on contract length too depending who you talk to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Glantain and Kylemore are not covered by UPC Cable, they only have UPC MMDS and therefore cannot offer broadband to these estates, which is a shame.

I find it hard to believe that Smart Telecom is so poor in these estates as they are so new. Are you sure the problem isnt caused by perhaps too many sockets connected to the one line perhaps?

I have Smart myself and never had a problem and would recommend them anyday over any of the other DSL providers, I personally have found Vodafone to be the worst.

Advertisement