Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato waffles

Options
  • 04-08-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I know I know, they're hardly the greatest food ever invented but kinda miss them. And so handy for kid's tea. Anyone seen these or similar in Australia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Ha! Here 6 months and I'm craving these!

Sorry can't help but I'll watch with interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

OK Waffle fans, here is what the distributor of Bird's Eye products has to say:

Mr Owen

We refer to your recent email enquiry regarding Birds Eye
    ...products.

Simplot Australia own the rights to the Birds Eye Brand
    name in Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia. We have no control
    over and have no rights to the Birds Eye Brand in the Americas or any part of
    Europe.

Unfortunately, potato waffles is not included within the
    Birds Eye Australia product range and there are no plans of making this product
    available in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Waffles denied outrage!

as shocking and unfortunate this is my heart goes out to all you waffle lovers but I wonder what the green isle potato waffle company will say.

don't fret dear waffle lovers I will inquire as to the export of green isle waffles asap to the sunny country of australia. munch munch :pac::pac::pac:.

Fight on! I use to love a burger with mayo and a waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Waffles were my favourite thing to eat at home and I craved them badly until I went back at Christmas. I've never been so disappointed with the realisation of how bland they actually, I was actually gutted :(

RIP waffles

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

Mmmmm waffles.....:pac::pac::pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSq_Fhcckvo

I sorted my barry's tea craving by shipping over 8 boxes....not sure the waffles would make the journey in a piece ;)

Zenno I applaud your efforts!!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Waffles were my favourite thing to eat at home and I craved them badly until I went back at Christmas. I've never been so disappointed with the realisation of how bland they actually, I was actually gutted :(

RIP waffles

yes I have noticed lately that the birds eye waffles were not the same crispy ones as they used to be but then I changed to green isle waffles and they were lovely and now they have gotten bland as well. it seems that they are not using the same ingredients as they used to or something like that or maybe the potato's are just not as good as they used to be. also they are pale white now even after cooking so theres something wrong there.

maybe it's time to get in touch with the manufacturers and see whats gone wrong with the quality lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Glad I'm not alone in missing waffles but looks like I'll have to wait till I get home to sample them again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Damn. They'd be so handy to cook in the hostel, make up an omlette with beans and throw the waffles in the toaster.:mad:

• Advertisement

Try the hash browns from ALDI in the toaster

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aldi apparently sell waffles..i'll investigate further

Waiting with bated breath for reports on the Aldi 'waffles'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gabberific

Pugins wrote: »
    Waiting with bated breath for reports on the Aldi 'waffles'.....

As am I! I just asked the sister the other day what the first thing she'd eat when she got home would be and she said waffles. Now all I can think about is feicin' waffles! Dammit. I thought I saw them in Woollies the other day but they turned out to be Hash Browns parading in a waffle-esque box. Gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Been missing these for breakfast too, but the coles hash browns are not too bad grilled from frozen, closest your going to get I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Zambia wrote: »
    Fight on! I use to love a burger with mayo and a waffle.

Dude im so making that for my tea tonight, wasn't in the mood for a waffle until i stumbled upon this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

hasn't anyone managed to find out if waffles can be bought yet????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

zenno wrote: »
    OK Waffle fans, here is what the distributor of Bird's Eye products has to say:

Mr Owen

We refer to your recent email enquiry regarding Birds Eye
    ...products.

Simplot Australia own the rights to the Birds Eye Brand
    name in Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia. We have no control
    over and have no rights to the Birds Eye Brand in the Americas or any part of
    Europe.

Unfortunately, potato waffles is not included within the
    Birds Eye Australia product range and there are no plans of making this product
    available in the near future.

According to this they aren't

According to this they aren't
    That only applies to Bird's eye waffles

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jimmy Recard

Had to get on with my life and move on from the waffles.
    Birds Eye, Bubble and Squeak is where it's at!!

• Advertisement

Still haven't given up on the waffles.

Came across Pommes in the freezer aisle of my local Woolworths. Look nothing like waffles but are almost a passable substitute taste -wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

On a similar vein, anyone seen onion rings (the frozen type)

Great with steak and wedges

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Ah no! I'm here drooling all over my keyboard at the thought of lovely potato waffles (cooked under the grill or in the oven) in a white bread sandwich with a little bit of butter for breakfast.
    Why did ya have to bring up this thread!

I still haven't seen any potato waffles out here but I gave up hope a while back :mad:

Slitey, Onion rings are fairly easy to find. As far as I can remember the misses got them in Woolworths once.

Mellor wrote: »
    Aldi apparently sell waffles..i'll investigate further

2 years later and I can confirm that Aldi do sell potato waffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Day made!

I was in Ireland this year and sadly I had built waffles up to much in my head. Bitter dissapiontment, might be the fact I didn't do them myself

Spud shed also has them. They have bags of mini ones for $2.99 (approx 30), industrial size 2.5kg blue translucent bags are available for $6.99. Said I'd try the mini ones first and they're excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Nice one , defo goina get them !!
    Wheres the spud shed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

NIALL D wrote: »
    Nice one , defo goina get them !!
    Wheres the spud shed ??

Perth..I'm guessing you don't live there?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Cold miserable wet weather probably make waffles taste better.

They are quick to cook and get a bit of heat (pronounced heeaate) into the body quick.

Advertisement