Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kick starting a SNES collection

• 04-08-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Right I'm going to dive into a little bit of snes collecting. Need some advice first though. Decided I'm going to go for cart collection because i need money for food and CIB snes games are a pretty penny.

Wondering what should I collect NTSC or PAL. I like the squareness of the US games haha stupid reason I know. Or could go for Japanese collection, of course a lot of the rpgs woulnt be playable then. But JAP boxed ones are easier to find are they?

Any advice would be well appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you like the squareness of NTSC US games, then collect them. 100% 60hz compatability. Plus they're generally cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

See thats what I was thinking aswell. I'm looking at boxed JAP ones on ebay though haha and i already threw a few bids down.

I'm going to limit myself to 50-60 games aswell, so only the good games are getting bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Get an NTSC one, just for Earthbound. Clear about forty-one hours off your life's schedule. 36 hours to clear the game and the remaining five to sit slack-jawed in amazement once you've finished it.

one of the reasons I want to start playing snes, want to get through earthbound and see what all the talk is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

NTSC-J all the way, though RPG's would be a problem of course. Grab a Honeybee or something.

PAL console is fine if you mod it. I went for an NTSC-J console instead. Depends purely on what you want to get out of the whole thing though.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    NTSC-J all the way, though RPG's would be a problem of course. Grab a Honeybee or something.

Snes import adapters are very hit and miss unfortunately :(

This is one console I would NOT go the NTSC-J route for. Okay, maybe for the console itself, but not games. One of the best things about the Snes is the fantastic library of RPGs. So as you said, unles you can speak Japanese, you're a bit ****ed there.
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    PAL console is fine if you mod it. I went for an NTSC-J console instead. Depends purely on what you want to get out of the whole thing though.

Modding a PAL console is fine to a degree. You still have that handful of 60hz games that give issues though.

Best options I reckon are -

If you like the whole angular thing - NTSC US snes and NTSC US games.

If you like the Japanese console look - NTSC Jap console and collect US games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Love the Snes, only have a Pal console mind and it's enough for me.
    Only things I really notice slowdown in are Starwing and Stunt Race FX, both running a far better frame rate on the US machine.
    May get a US Snes just for those!

Yeah I'm liking the whole angular thing so looks like NTSC is getting the vote.

But I've decided I'm going to get a famicom aswell and get a little slection of beat'em up's and fighters for that and leave the rpgs and stuff to the US games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd definitely go NTSC US all the way with the SNES. One thing unfortunate though is that there's a few PAL exclusives worth getting, the big one being the amazing terranigma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Love the Snes, only have a Pal console mind and it's enough for me.
    Only things I really notice slowdown in are Starwing and Stunt Race FX, both running a far better frame rate on the US machine.
    May get a US Snes just for those!

Seems like its time we did this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Think I'm going to sell my snes for a NTSC one too, because I've a good selection of US games, at least the US Snes you can take the tabs out to make the PAL games fit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Interesting I'll grant you but it still gives glitches on the very games I want to play at full speed, namely the Super FX chip games. :(

May yet pick up a US Super Nintendo.

You know,
    I'll have to start a shopping list for people to order from for my 40th in January!

SNES (US)
    PC Engine Turbo Duo (Jap)
    Atari/Sears Pong Machine (US)
    Vic 20
    C64

and so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Thats the very mod I do, well worth doing. Here's the oismeister's snes being unshackled - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056183495

Master of the Universe

That's the snes that had the graphical issues isn't it? Yeah, never could get to the bottom of of that.

Atavan has it now. I'm sure the stickers have been replaced with Pokemon ones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's the snes that had the graphical issues isn't it? Yeah, never could get to the bottom of of that.

Atavan has it now. I'm sure the stickers have been replaced with Pokemon ones :D

Yep I was hopeful that by modding it, the choice of display would resolve whatever was wrong with it. Shame really as the mod was working perfectly, waste of good leaded solder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

i have a couple of SNES games available for trade for NES games if you want a look. they r all PAL. Some in boxes

Advertisement