Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring new oven

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are planning to add a new oven in our kitchen, and I am wondering about the wiring of it.

The brochure for the oven we are adding says it has a 13 Amp load, although it could potentially be replaced by an oven with a higher load. We may also be adding a warming drawer underneath it in the future (10 Amp plugged socket).

The easiest way to wire this in would be to connect onto the feed to the main cooker, adding a spur after the isolation switch. The main cooker is a range cooker, with a 15.6kW total load (apologies for the inconsistent units - just going by the manuals). Is it OK in principal to connect a second oven to the same isolation switch? If so, what size would the existing cable need to be for this to be safe?

If the above is not an option, would I need to run a new wire to the consumer panel (not an easy option)?

I know I'm probably missing some crucial information above, let me know if there is any more info needed. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Dude HIRE a sparks for goodness sake..............:eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The easiest way to wire this in would be to connect onto the feed to the main cooker, adding a spur after the isolation switch. The main cooker is a range cooker, with a 15.6kW total load (apologies for the inconsistent units - just going by the manuals). Is it OK in principal to connect a second oven to the same isolation switch? If so, what size would the existing cable need to be for this to be safe?
    Somehow I don't think that the electrical load of the Range is 15.6kW. Does the Range have a gas or oil supply too?

Start by confirming the electrical loads and measuring the length of run.

I would have the new oven on it's own supply fed by a minimum of a 2.5 sq T+ E. Same goes for the warming drawer.

I think Digitaljunkie has a point!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

2011 wrote: »
    Somehow I don't think that the electrical load of the Range is 15.6kW. Does the Range have a gas or oil supply too?

I would have the new oven on it's own supply fed by a minimum of a 2.5 sq T+ E. Same goes for the warming drawer.

Thanks for the replies. I am sure on the load from the range cooker. It's specifically given in the manual for it, together with a breakdown of the load from each ring, ovens, etc.

I am planning to get an electrician to do the connections, but was trying to get a good idea myself what's involved before speaking to the electrician. Would also plan to route the cables myself to save a few €'s.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

2011 wrote: »

Thanks for the replies. I am sure on the load from the range cooker. It's specifically given in the manual for it, together with a breakdown of the load from each ring, ovens, etc.

I am planning to get an electrician to do the connections, but was trying to get a good idea myself what's involved before speaking to the electrician. Would also plan to route the cables myself to save a few €'s.

Advertisement