Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helicopter high in the sky

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Yet another late night helicopter visit over town tonight. seriously guys, will ye stop burning the rubbish in the back gardens at night! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's the Air Corps burning your tax euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I suppose its too dark but if you could give a description of what it looks like, colour or even sound would be helpful to know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Its landing in the army barracks i think there is more than one. They should just get rid of the army a massive waste of tax payers money:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'd wait until after the introduction of property taxes before reducing the army.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I suppose its too dark but if you could give a description of what it looks like, colour or even sound would be helpful to know what it is.

The one last night was an Augusta Westland AW-139 and it was tooling around the army barracks.

http://www.military.ie/uploads/pics/flare_150pxl.jpg

Civilian heli's can't fly at night in Ireland in class-G airspace (as afar as I know though I am not a heli pilot so I'm open to correction on that) so if you see a heli after dark it's either the Air Corps or the SAR chopper. The air corps have eurocopters and of course the garda heli as well.

The one with the massive searchlights you sometimes see blasting the roofs off houses is the SAR rescue chopper out of Waterford - it's a Sikorsky S-61.... about 40 years old and the size of a bus...!

http://homepage.eircom.net/~eihelicopters/eisar.htm

That's usually called in when someone is lost in the river at night because of its infrared camera and kickass searchlight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

There was a notice posted about the helicopters flying at night in the Kilkenny People and on KCLR. The army are training pilots for night flying. They said they will always try to keep it to a minimum but that it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Plug wrote: »
    Its landing in the army barracks i think there is more than one. They should just get rid of the army a massive waste of tax payers money:pac:

And that would mean over 300 jobs lost to Kilkenny. Ones we cannot afford to loose. The Barracks is quite important to Kilkenny's economy a fact that is all too often overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

mfitzy wrote: »
    And that would mean over 300 jobs lost to Kilkenny. Ones we cannot afford to loose. The Barracks is quite important to Kilkenny's economy a fact that is all too often overlooked.
    Jobs? They do nothing for us only lay down some sand bags when it rains and gaurd some chaps who deliver money to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Sorry guys, was just me flying home from my luxury yacht anchored off Dublin. I'd use the jet but Kilkenny International don't have the facilities. I'll try to fly at day from now on!:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Plug wrote: »
    Jobs? They do nothing for us only lay down some sand bags when it rains and gaurd some chaps who deliver money to the bank.

They spend money in Kilkenny. Soldiers still need bread, milk and clothes.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

They spend money in Kilkenny. Soldiers still need bread, milk and clothes.

And Kilkenny being Kilkenny..Alcohol, And lots of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Anybody know if they're training tonight? South of the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I saw a big hellicopter over the castle park earlier, couldn't make out the livery but I think it was like the big one out of waterford.

That aer corps AW-139 just flew over me gaff about 10 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Sky King wrote: »
    That aer corps AW-139 just flew over me gaff about 10 mins ago

Wonder was that the helicopter that was going to airlift the pilot that was in the plane crash in Mullinahone.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0809/tipperary.html

No that's the Waterford S-61, wouldn't have come near Kilkenny.

Advertisement