Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS Graphics Card, long story ;)

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Ok so got home this evening and my M1730 decided to not boot. All I had was lights but no display.
    After a looksie around some forums it appears my 8700m was to fault.
    I decided to give the 'bake in the oven trick' a go :eek:

It took a lot of willpower not to turn off the oven when there was a bit of a smell starting. Anyway I got through the 10 mins and took her out to cool. After it had cooled and I'd applied some new thermal(thank you Xbox 360 repairs) I gave her a whirl

Nothing, nada! Balls, GF coming home and now I'll need to explain why it appears I've used the oven to make her something nice but actually I'd been cooking my graphics card. Hmmm this is going to take some creative thinking.

I put her back together with the intention of bringing it to someone little more qualified for the task. After I had all the screws back in I tried it again just to see and Bingo!!!! We have life. Oh how I'd missed her!!!

Anyway long story short. This must be only a temporary fix at best so what are my options. I know feck all really about building pc's so I've no idea what sort of card I'd need compatibility wise.
    Am I stuck with a refurb Nvidia 8700 or can I go with something a bit more powerful? Or do I even have to stick with an Nvidia?

I'd prefer to spend 200-300 max. I'm not a big gamer so I don't need anything high-end.

Any ideas?

Comments

Advertisement