Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rimfire semi

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I have been considerin buying a 10/22 for bunnies and plinking. I like them because of the amount of parts that can be bought and they are accurate. My question is what are my other options for a good rimfire semi.

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kildarejoe

I have a 10/22 but the new remington 597 is good also and supposed to be more accurate and slightly cheaper, well 20 quid hardly the deciding factor.
    There is a CZ 512 (I think) fairly new to the market and worth a look, havent a clue how much but I would think it would be accurate and reliable.
    When I say accurate, for a semi auto, if you had a nice bolt action you would be disappointed if you expected similar performance from a semi.
    If you have deep pockets you can make a 10/22 into a tack driving tool or pimp it out with fancy stocks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

kildarejoe wrote: »
    I have a 10/22 but the new remington 597 is good also and supposed to be more accurate and slightly cheaper, well 20 quid hardly the deciding factor.
    There is a CZ 512 (I think) fairly new to the market and worth a look, havent a clue how much but I would think it would be accurate and reliable.
    When I say accurate, for a semi auto, if you had a nice bolt action you would be disappointed if you expected similar performance from a semi.
    If you have deep pockets you can make a 10/22 into a tack driving tool or pimp it out with fancy stocks etc.

+1 , i had a 10/22T target model and the best it would do was 2 inches at 50 yards, anyone else i know who bought one was equally disappointed. Maybe they can be improved , i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I have an Anschutz semi auto and shes extremely accurate, cant fault it and its been in the family since 1983 - its true to say bolt action .22s are usually more accurate then semis - but not always.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

The browning buckmark is a very good rimfire semi - I have one myself

One of the lads on the Irish Smallbore Gallery Rifle team shoots one (facrory model) and he will generally make one raggedy hole in the 50 yard parts which include shooting sitting, kneeling, left shoulder and right shoulder

The rest of the guys on the current team all shoot 10/22 (all customised) and some of them beat him some of the time

So its accurate enough so the question is - are you, or I?

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

PS I know I'm not - i'm still only shooting around a 1400/1500 - the top guys are shooting an avg 1459/1500 - which is Internationally competitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I currently have a marlin 917vs .17 and have said on numerous occasions that i love it and would never change it. However recently i have come to not like the rifle so i am changing back to .22 i have thought about gettin a bolt action but havent seen anythin that i like thats why im considering 10/22 or another semi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have only just changed over from a very accurate CZ 22lr to a second-hand customized Ruger 10/22. The reason was to shoot in the Gallery rifle shooting commpetitions, which once you do is adictive.

I'm very happy with the change over and if your thinking about getting a 22lr semi then the Ruger is the way to go IMO. The new CZ semi is nothing special from reading a review of it.

Dax121 is selling a good customized Ruger in the sales section, at a very good price.

Boyd EVO stock, Kidd trigger and Volquartsen barrel

a6ab47aa.jpg

88b66791.jpg

aa4a69c8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Whats put you off of the .17 ?

clivej wrote: »
    I have only just changed over from a very accurate CZ 22lr to a second-hand customized Ruger 10/22. The reason was to shoot in the Gallery rifle shooting commpetitions, which once you do is adictive.

I'm very happy with the change over and if your thinking about getting a 22lr semi then the Ruger is the way to go IMO. The new CZ semi is nothing special from reading a review of it.

Dax121 is selling a good customized Ruger in the sales section, at a very good price.

Boyd EVO stock, Kidd trigger and Volquartsen barrel

a6ab47aa.jpg

88b66791.jpg

aa4a69c8.jpg

Nice looking rifle. On a side note what is gallery shooting

vixdname wrote: »
    Whats put you off of the .17 ?

I changed from a benchrest .22 to the .17 as i had taken up rabbit shooting and wanted the .17 if i ever came across a fox which to date has not happened. I cant explain what it is about the marlin that i have to dislike. I had considered getting a sako quad .17 but with the ammo price difference between .22 & .17 and i will be only using it for bunnies and plinking on the range so im thinkin if im goin to change the rifle i mite as well change calibre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

hi their I have a ruger 10/22 delux sporter which I use for vermin/plinking I had to bring it in from the UK. At 30 yards I can produce ragged holes the size of a 20 cent piece in fact my son can take the tops of beer cans (i supply the beer cans) all Using a harris bi pod.

I put a nylon bolt buffer in, automatic bolt release then made sure I didnt over tighten the stock screw so i can now get a piece of paper between the barrell and the stock. I also use a very small amount of loctite to keep the screw tight.

I have a nikko stirling 4x32 mount master scope on it.

I had a 597 magnum and initially was looking to get a 597 22 lr in stainless but found it difficult to get one. I also heard bad stories about the quality of the 597, one was good then next wouldnt hold a group etc etc. There were less of those stories about the rugers particulalry the DSP model. The barrel band seems to get a lot of bad press hence I went for the deluxe.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70279

Go spend some time on the rimfire central forum and you will pick up a serious amount of information

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Nice looking rifle. On a side note what is gallery shooting

From the NASRPC website @ http://www.nasrpc.ie/disciplines/smallbore-gallery-rifle
    Smallbore Gallery Rifle requires a Semi Automatic rifle chambered in 22lr ammunition which means that it can be practiced or competed on a range which is rated for .22 pistols or rifles and does not require a range which is rated for the more high velocity rifle calibres.

The most common firearms used in competition in Ireland are the Ruger 10/22 variants and Browning Buckmark but any semi automatic .22 rifle capable of holding 6 rounds would be permitted.
    If you then click thru to the different sub-pages on that page you will get the details that they shoot. Great Fun to shoot :D:D and good people to be with.

DO IT soon your'll love it :)

Also have to browse thru this forum its all about Ruger 10/22's

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

couldnt agree more with clive gallery shooting is great it kicks ass out of bench rest any day :D
    and as clive said i have a 10/22 for sale in the for sale section. it has a carbon fibre light weight barrel. is all you need for it is a stock like clive's and your away with it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There are some nice Rugers shown and for sale. They seem the business, but i have to ask. How accurate are they? From everyone thats ever owned one or any review i've read the ones "out of the box" or with no midifications are by no means accurate even at only 50mtrs. Bearing in mind the OPs intended use .................
    tommyboy26 wrote: »
    .............. for bunnies and plinking.

............... how good would one be for this purpose without having to spend a few hundred on triggers, barrels, stocks, etc?

Before you all start to jump to the defence of the Ruger i'm not knocking the gun. They are the "CZ" when it comes to choosing a semi auto rimfire. However ye lads with the custom ones are using them to compete with other custom rimfires and the guns are suiting that purpose perfectly. However if the OP never wanted to get into Gallery rifle and didn't want to invest in extras/upgrades how good is the Ruger.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Well the Ruger 10/22T (target/tactical) model is one of the most accurate Ruger's 'out of the box'. They already have some work done on the trigger.
    O'Hallorans in Drangan had one in stock @€;550 ish. But for very little more a semi custom second hand Ruger can be bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

You're probabily better off buying the cheapest and most basic 10/22 and dumping the stock and barrel and building it to your own spec, thats the way i would do it if i wanted a semi again.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

as clive said try buy something with a trigger, barrel or stock that way you will have something to start on and will save a few quid in the long run. as far as how standard ones shoot their just ok. i built a custom 10/22 and she is a tack driver but not cheap lol

To be honest i never heard of gallery shooting and while it does sound like great fun and somethin that would interest me, if it means joinin another club it would be a no no. Do they shoot gallery in the midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

The NASRPC run open competitions regularly in Smallbore and Centrefire Gallery rifle, all the competitions are open and held in lots of ranges - not sure about the Midlands, i assume they probably do.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreatGayHunter

clivej wrote: »
    Well the Ruger 10/22T (target/tactical) model is one of the most accurate Ruger's 'out of the box'. They already have some work done on the trigger.
    O'Hallorans in Drangan had one in stock @€;550 ish. But for very little more a semi custom second hand Ruger can be bought

As Clivej has said, get the 10/22T add a Boyd’s SS Evo stock and your at a great starting point for GR & Bunnies.

GR Ranges 50/25/20/15/10 mts
    Bunnies, Zero in at 70/75mts it will compensate for the bullet drop between 50 to 100.

Then off you go,
    G.G.H.

• Advertisement
Advertisement