Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walshies Bets.

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Thought this would be the perfect time to start a log with the new season getting underway at the weekend.

I gamble for the craic. I find it adds a new element of excitement to watching sport. I won't be betting any serious money - I'll start with a tenner and see what happens from there.

I'll bet on pretty much anything to be honest. Saying that though, most of my bets will be on the football. I'll try and post my reasoning for most of my bets, but if I don't have reasoning or I'm taking advice from somebody else, I'm not going to do a big write-up and pretend I know what I'm talking about.

That's it for now anyway. I'm really looking forward to the season ahead. I'll post up my first selection for the weekend shortly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DaveWalsh

Reading vs. Millwall - Reading to win @1.83.

Reading had an excellent season last year and were unlucky not to be promoted, losing out to Swansea in the Play-off Final. They still have the majority of that squad now - Matt Mills going to Leicester being the only notable absentee. There is speculation about Shane Long's future, but if Reading can keep him, I believe they will mount a serious promotion challenge this season.

If Reading hadn't had such a poor start last season, they probably would have gotten promoted, so they will be determined to get off to a good start this season and I don't think they will be caused too much problems by Millwall on Saturday.

€2 - Reading to win @1.83.

Stirling Albion vs. East Fife - East Fife to win @2.00.

I think East Fife are good value for the win here at evens. Stirling were relegated from the Scottish First Division last year and are in a terrible state financially. Stirling even held open trials recently to find new players and a lot of their team at the weekend should be first-timers with little experience playing together.

East Fife, on the other hand, had a fantastic run of form at the end of last season and narrowly missed out on the play-offs. They have managed to keep onto their best players and they should have enough quality to see of a struggling Stirling Albion at the weekend.

€1.50 - East Fife to win @2.00.

Coventry City vs. Leicester City - Leicester to win @2.04.

Leicester are favourites to win the Championship this season with Sven at the helm and excellent financial backing from the board. Leicester have been busy in the transfer market, and have done some decent business, though I do think they could have done a bit better to be honest.

Coventry are always difficult to beat at the Ricoh Arena, but I think Leicester will have enough quality to start off, what is sure to be an exciting season for them, with a win.

€1 - Leicester City to win @2.04.

Shrewsbury Town vs. Plymouth Argyle - Shrewsbury to win @1.90.

I fancy Shrewsbury to do well in League Two this season and to make the play-offs.

Plymouth are having a bit of a turbulent time at the moment. With a playing squad of only eighteen players, ten of whom are under twenty, I can see Plymouth struggling on Saturday against a decent Shrewsbury side.

€1 - Shrewsbury Town to win @1.90.

Le Harve vs. Laval - Le Harve to win @1.85.

Le Harve are generally strong in-front of their own fans, and are renowned as one of the stronger home teams in Ligue 2. Last week, they gained a morale boosting win away against Angers, and that victory will ensure they approach this game with confidence.

Le Havre are missing their goalkeeper, Placide, although second-choice 'keeper Boucher came off the bench against Angers last week and saved two penalties.

Laval are missing their talisman, Lebouc, and are coming off the back of a poor defeat to Clermont.

Le Havre are normally a solid side who like to attack at home, and I think they'll see this as a good opportunity to get three points at home.

€1 - Le Harve to win @1.85.

• Advertisement

I've put all of the above bets into an accumulator for added interest.

Leicester to beat Conventry @2.04.
    Reading to beat Millwall @1.83.
    Shrewsbury to beat Plymouth @1.90.
    East Fife to beat Stirling @1.90.
    Le Harve to beat Laval @1.85.

€0.50 - Five team accumulator @25.34.

Advertisement