Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R639 speed limit redesignation

Options
  • 05-08-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭

I've been told that Cork Co Co are finally putting through the necessary paper work to raise the speed limit of the R639 within County Cork from 80kph back to 100kph (IMO, what it clearly should be).

However, I've had a quick google and I can't see anything about it. Anyone know if it's true and what sort of a time table we are looking at. Would the toll operators have anyway to attempt to block such a move ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

what sort of a time table we are looking at.
    It would take a few months.
    Would the toll operators have anyway to attempt to block such a move ?
    Thats paranoid talk. They could make representations, but their word is no stronger than anyone elses. The decision should be made on merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I dont know about "finallly putting through" :(

Cork CC have a better track record on sensible speed limits than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭niloc1951

corktina wrote: »
    I dont know about "finallly putting through" :(

Cork CC have a better track record on sensible speed limits than most.

Can't agree.
    At a council meeting a couple of years ago the issue of reinstating the 100Kmph limit on the R639 was raised and reportedly blocked by the local engineer who said a 100kmph would be unsafe (notwithstanding that it was 60mph since speed limits were introduced).
    That from a person/organisation who, for example, apparently see nothing wrong with a 100kmph limit on stretches of the N72 less than 10kms away which are only about 6mtrs wide and where two trucks cant pass without slowing to 10kmph and edging past each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nevertheless, most councils (i feel) are dragging their feet in introducing 120km/h limits in suitable places whereas Cork have been quite good in this respect.

I agree the N72 is an awful road, and the R639 is miles better, but its more likely that an Engineer would REDUCE the limit on the 72 than increase the limit on the 639 if he feels there is a safety issue. It is after all his signature at the bottom of the page.

Personally I think it was an awful cock up to downgrade N roads duplicated by Motorways in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Moved from Roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Would a reason be that with the higher limit that they can't allow development on the route? Means that councillors can't sort out their voters/mates and rate paying commercial developments can't be built?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BrianD wrote: »
    Would a reason be that with the higher limit that they can't allow development on the route? Means that councillors can't sort out their voters/mates and rate paying commercial developments can't be built?

Plenty of dodgy developments allowed along 100km/h routes by councils all over the land.

It takes a little bit of work to do the order and publish it in OI, and if you missed the chance to do it before having to change the signs to 80km/h there's a lot of inertia about getting around to it.

Cork CC, however, are generally very good with putting 100km/h limits everywhere suitable, including many R roads which were never N roads to begin with (a trait I've only seen in Louth and Leitrim otherwise); so I doubt its due to any unwillingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

This weeks Avondhu states that the speed limit has been increased to 100kph. Any confirm this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Not unless it happened in the last fortnight. I took the "toll dodge" portion of the R639 in Cork about 2 weeks ago and it was 80kph all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I was on it a couple a weeks ago at Mitchelstown and i believe i did indeed see 100 km/hr signs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement