Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spots to go?

Options
  • 05-08-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Right, I'm going to UCD this September and I've never been on a night out in Dublin before.

What are the best clubs/pubs in Dublin town that many of the students would frequent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Most Societies will have nights out, and the place will be littered with fliers advertising different clubs / promos.

Best not worry about that now tbh, still over a month to go before college starts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Right, I'm going to UCD this September and I've never been on a night out in Dublin before.

What are the best clubs/pubs in Dublin town that many of the students would frequent?

that kind of stuff tends to be decided at around 11PM at the bus stop.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Where the promos are being held. There's always flyers and leaflets in lecture halls for different clubs on different days. Socs will hold frequent nights out too, as well as class reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The nearest off-license, then a mates place.

You can only get to know through experience and keeping an ear out where's good. For instance, Thursday Night Live in the Student Bar also means €3 drinks, you might find concession flyers in lecture halls in the morning on big going-out nights...

Students go everywhere. Just depends on your personality and price-range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Don't worry about that just yet! Most people don't know where they are going out to either, until the very last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lads we may as well answer the question for him.

First years are a bit hard to predict, but last year most seemed to go to Alcemy (on fleet street) on a Monday, Dadenlion (Stephen's Green) or Tripod (Harcourt Street) on a Wednesday and sometimes Button Factory (Temple Bar) on a Thursday or if you're down for the weekend Propaganda in the Academy (Abbey St)

Later in the year you'll begin going where second years go. Dicey's (Harcourt St) on a Monday, D2 (Harcourt Street) on a Wednesday and The Palace (Camden St) on a Thursday.

Other places you may end up at various points during the year. 21s (Monday's on D'Olier St). Purty Kitchen (Essex St Temple Bar). Sin (Sycamore St Temple Bar). The Mezz (Eustance St Temple Bar). Back to Wezz @ Wezz (N11 Donnybrook). Q'Bar (D'Olier St). The Workman's (Wellington Quay).

If you're female, or old enough you may also go to Copper Face Jacks (Harcourt St) there is no set day, time, place, or situation that Coppers is inappropriate for.

Most of that is just speil though, Alcemy and Tripod will be fine for your first few weeks, after that just go with the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Been a while since I was a first year, but I ended up in 21s and Redz most of the time, interspersed with pav Fridays and Doyles. Citibar did some promotions there on a Wednesday night I think. The Palace is good on a Friday night as well, Flannerys is a good spot as well. D2, Tripod the usual places around Harcourt St. Try and stick to wherever there's a promotion on, save your money that way, stock up before you head out. Coppers might be tricky in first year. I didn't bother too much with it until I was in 3rd year. Probably the only nightclub I'd ever go to when I'm in Dublin!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

I'm coming to UCD to do my Masters and will be based on the Blackrock campus.

Where is good craic for a post grad?

How far are most of these places from Blackrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Suite 54 is the only 'club' near blackrock. And it does not really cater for students.

All of the other places are in the city center, which is 20-30-40 mins on the bus from Smurfit ( depending on time / traffic ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

It really depends what sort of music you want to hear. For good music, Whelan's, Workmans and The Bernard Shaw are best. The Grand Social is a good spot for pints/decent music but it only opens late on weekends (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

sweeneys on dame street is deadly if your into your underground rock and punk music

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

Students don't go to pubs. You drink in a house, then hit wherever has a drink promo on. If nowhere is doing one then you will inevitably end up in Coppers or The Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

anndub wrote: »
    Students don't go to pubs.

That's just not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

anndub wrote: »
    Students don't go to pubs. You drink in a house, then hit wherever has a drink promo on. If nowhere is doing one then you will inevitably end up in Coppers or The Palace.

This student regularly does exactly this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Other places you might end up if you're not into sh*te chart music:

Strangeways - Wednesdays in the Lost Society (dubstep/drum n bass/hip-hop)
    Trainwreck - Fridays in POD (house/techno)
    Hussle - Saturdays in the Button Factory (hip-hop/90's tunes)

All packed with students every week

Advertisement