Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 from the US and customs

Options
  • 05-08-2011 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Could someone tell me how to work out how much I will have to pay customs if I import 5 iPhone 4's 16GB from the US.

If they were to be marked as "gift" would I pay anything to bring them in???

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

one4one wrote: »
    Could someone tell me how to work out how much I will have to pay customs if I import 5 iPhone 4's 16GB from the US.

Cheers.

You won't get through with 5 iPhone 4's marked as gifts. They weren't born yesterday and you'll be charged to bring them in. VAT @ 21% if I'm not mistaken?

You also need to have a contract with one of the US operators to get a handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

You'll also have a problem buying them directly of apple or any other legitimate store afaik as you need a US passport to purchase them. Correct me if I'm wrong though as that used to be the case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you are purchasing phones in USA with a view to selling them for profit over here.... dont waste your time, its not worth it.

by the time you pay customs, postage/packing and advertising - you could be making a loss - especially as there is a newer version of the iphone due out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

I bought an iPhone 4 in California last month. They are now available without contract from apple stores in the US. The store I was in also had a limit of 2 per person.

By the time you add on sales tax and VAT it's not worth your while buying to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

one4one wrote: »

Cheers.

Hi,

Marking them as gift doesnt make a slightest bit of difference.

The customs value seems to be based on the dollar cost in figures + the shipping cost in figures (e.g. $299 + $100) multiplied by the VAT rate (so 399 * .21) so VAT is going to be about €84. In my previous dealings they didnt convert the USD to EUR and then calculate VAT.

On top of that you normally have to pay the shipping company a Customs Clearing Fee (around €10 ish), and depending on the clearance fee the Courier / Customs Clearance Agent may insist on payment by Credit Card / Bank Draft.

Also this whole process takes a few days so adds to the cost / hassle. It kinda means you cant really sell any till you physically have them... your courier may show delivery next Monday, but customs can add 1 - 5 working days on top of that, so it leaves your money tied up in the product for maybe 3 weeks before you can sell...

Theres also a few added considerations with selling, if your seriously considering it and have questions post again or PM and Il elaborate.

Theres a chance that your stuff wont be picked up but Iv noticed in the last two years or so that even small packages are being checked more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

PCPhoto wrote: »
    if you are purchasing phones in USA with a view to selling them for profit over here.... dont waste your time, its not worth it.

by the time you pay customs, postage/packing and advertising - you could be making a loss - especially as there is a newer version of the iphone due out soon.

you can buy fones on adverts now like this for cheaper than you would lose on imports.

and anyway, a SGS II is superior lol

Advertisement