Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbour upstairs

Options
  • 04-08-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭

I need advice please. My husband and I are barely a month. Into our 1 year lease and already barely coping with the woman in the flat immediately above ours. She deliberately makes as much noise as possible as late as possible into the night and early hours of the next morning. This includes stomping over the floor above our bedroom so hard I'm surprised she has not injured herself yet; playing music at all hours - usually Adele - at full volume; doing her laundry in the communal washer that is right outside our door. It is now half past midnight and the washer is busy on it's second spin cycle. And she's still banging around upstairs.

My husband has a history of epilepsy that is triggered among other things by extreme stress and lack of sleep - both circumstances we're currently living under. He's on the verge of having a severe relapse, which will mean that he'd have to go back on his expensive meds which need to be taken at precise times, he has to manage his life down to the minute or risk severe damage to his brain. And the kicker - he'd need 8 hours of quality sleep between very precise times: sleep neither of us is able to get with the woman above our heads doing her damnedest to make our lives unbearable.

What can we do?? Do we stand a chance reporting her to the cops? Our landlord (same company owns the whole apartment block)? Take her to court??? Does this give us sufficient grounds to legally break our lease and get away from here!!?

Please we're desparate!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thread split.

You are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your home. This would not be considered peaceful, that is unless you are being overly-sensative. Is this a flat in a converted building or a purpose-build apartment?

You can't really complain to the Garda. They are unlikely to deal with anything noise related, unless its a breach of the peace, e.g. party in the communal areas.

You choices are:
    Complain to the resident.
    Complain to the landlord. The landlord is responsible to you for the behaviour of their tenant.
    Complain to the council.
    Complain to the Distrcit Court.

Short-term, can I suggest some re-useable €1 ear plugs from the pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you tried knocking on her door and go ballistic at her to cop the f**k on asking nicely for her to cop on? She may think that the previous tenants are still there, or she may just be an ignorant cow.

I think the council will ask have you talked to her if you goto them, so you may as well get it out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Why do you say she is making the noise deliberately? Is there a history between you? People often make far more noise than they realise. If you haven't yet, definitely talk to her civilly, she may be mortified by how she is keeping you awake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 aisog

I would speak to her first before going elsewhere! She mightn't realise how much noise she is making or how it is affecting ye! If that fails then go to your landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Thanks for the replies all.
    Yes she is well aware that she is annoying us. No we have no history - we've only been here a month. And no we have not confronted her face to face because we're scared of how she'll react - from the violent temper tantrums we hear coming from above I definitely won't be facing her alone. And my husband is too sick at the moment. With no sleep his flu initty getting any better after nearly 2 full weeks. On top of that she'll just escalate her antisocial behaviour and make our lives even more unbearable than right now.

And no we're not being overly sensitive - loud music at midnight on a weekday, and slamming doors as hard as possible, is not what I'd call normal living sounds.

We've already complained to the landlord but based on the slamming doors a few minutes ago, that didn't do anything but make things worse. We're keeping a detailed log now and will go to the Garda if she keeps on. And keep submitting formal noise complaints until we have enough logs and documentation to back us up when we take her to district court.

One person should not be allowed to do this to another. Thats what the law should be there for!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

She may not realise how much the sound travels between apartments - genuinely. Having just had my 4th trip of recent weeks upstairs to my otherwise very nice neighbours to talk about music volume, I feel your pain. If your landlord is at all reasonable he should allow you to move out with no penalties in the circs - have you discussed this with them that if the complaint does not resolve the issue, you will have to move.

I think I will have to move - and I've been here 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Complain to the council sounds like the apartments are not built to the correct spec. They should not allow noise to transfer.

Advertisement