Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing dog intro Ireland

• 05-08-2011 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I am wondering what is necessary to bring a dog into Ireland from another EU country. The dog has passport and all the documents but now I am reading about a blood test to confirm it doesn't have rabies that has to be done 6 months prior to entering Ireland?
    I need to know for sure as I will be coming by car and I don't want to drive all the way to France or wherever they will stop me because I don't have everything I need.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Yes, the dog needs to be vaccinated for rabies, and then have a blood test 6 months prior to entry to Ireland (this is to avoid quarantine as Ireland is rabies free). You also need to see a vet on the continent on the day of travel who will administer tick and tapeworm treatment and sign the passport.
    Contact your vet or look at this: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/ for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wisco wrote: »
    Yes, the dog needs to be vaccinated for rabies, and then have a blood test 6 months prior to entry to Ireland (this is to avoid quarantine as Ireland is rabies free). You also need to see a vet on the continent on the day of travel who will administer tick and tapeworm treatment and sign the passport.
    Contact your vet or look at this: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/ for more info.

This is fairly new legislation?

When we came to Ireland, nine years ago, there was nothing like this, from the UK. I carried one cat on the planes; the only issue was that no one at Edinburgh knew how to get a cat through security in the days after 9/11 and they had to delay the flight while they sorted that out.

The other two cats came later with our car.

Is it different from the UK, which is also rabies free? Asking as we meet many visitors from the UK here on holiday and I am sure that there is none of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The UK is completely different from Europe so there is no restrictions on movement in and out of Ireland & the UK.

As andreac says, no restrictions on UK/Irish travel, presumably due to the rabies free status of both countries, and similar climate, so no weird continental creepy crawlies :) (at least at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

Ok but I obviously didn't know about this law so I am scheduled to travel with my dog soon, it has all the papers and fully vaccinated even against rabies but no blood test was done 6 months prior to traveling as the dog is only 8 months old.
    Is there any way I can travel or I can just forget about it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

As far as i know, no, you wont be allowed in with your dog without this vaccine. Thsi should have been done by the breeder if they knew you were taking to the dog to the UK or Ireland.

Contact the Dept of Agriculture here and get them to confirm exactly what you need. They will clarify it all for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Virtual87 wrote: »
    Ok but I obviously didn't know about this law so I am scheduled to travel with my dog soon, it has all the papers and fully vaccinated even against rabies but no blood test was done 6 months prior to traveling as the dog is only 8 months old.
    Is there any way I can travel or I can just forget about it ?

When it was vaccinated against rabies, and the pet passport issued, was it not mentioned then?

I think that you can bring the dog in, but it will have to go into quarantine for 6 months here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

As andreac says, no restrictions on UK/Irish travel, presumably due to the rabies free status of both countries, and similar climate, so no weird continental creepy crawlies :) (at least at the moment)
    i am sure the fleas are getting bigger

ISDW wrote: »
    When it was vaccinated against rabies, and the pet passport issued, was it not mentioned then?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP, but I think the passport was issued by another country (not UK/Ireland) so if travel to these islands wasn't mentioned, it wouldn't be routine.

Pretty sure quarantine is quite pricey, but maybe worth looking into. Or just do the blood test now and wait 6 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The UK will be introducing new laws on pet travel soon that will bring it more inline with the rest of the EU, this seems to be a good thing and I hope Ireland will follow suit.

"Forcing pets to spend six months in quarantine, a practice dating from the 1800s, is no longer necessary because of vastly improved rabies vaccines and treatments."

Here a link: http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/06/30/new-rules-pet-passports/

unfortunately it wont be of any Help to the OP unless they plan to leave it for a year or two...maybe not an option.

EDIT; actually if you read the bottom of the artical it states; "The UK, along with Ireland, Sweden and Malta, has an exemption from the standard EU pet travel rules. They are all harmonising their entry rules with the rest of the EU at the same time as the UK." which is great news if true.

• Advertisement

The UK will be introducing new laws on pet travel soon that will bring it more inline with the rest of the EU, this seems to be a good thing and I hope Ireland will follow suit.

"Forcing pets to spend six months in quarantine, a practice dating from the 1800s, is no longer necessary because of vastly improved rabies vaccines and treatments."

Here a link: http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/06/30/new-rules-pet-passports/

unfortunately it wont be of any Help to the OP unless they plan to leave it for a year or two...maybe not an option.

EDIT; actually if you read the bottom of the artical it states; "The UK, along with Ireland, Sweden and Malta, has an exemption from the standard EU pet travel rules. They are all harmonising their entry rules with the rest of the EU at the same time as the UK." which is great news if true.

There was a thread on this a while ago Chris, and I'm sure it does cover Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Sorry, dont know how I missed it, maybe I was away then:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The new regulations will come in from January 2012 so you'll only have to wait 21 days from the blood test before bringing your dog into Ireland/UK. But you still have to wait 1 month after getting the vaccine before doing the blood test and then wait 21 days so it's 7 weeks in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emese

We are going to france for two weeks in october and we are hoping to take our dog with us. She's had her 7 months wait once (just now, moving over from the continent) to come into the country, so what i'd like to know is: will she be free to travel in and out of ireland from now on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The links already posted explain this.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/getapetpassport/

You need to keep all the vaccination up to date, if you let it go past the expiration date, you have to start over. The different vaccs have different time periods they need to be renewed within. Ask your vet if you are unsure.

noone mentioned bringing a dog out of the country and back again AFTER they've done the 7 month wait.
    i'll give them a call to find out for sure how it works. thanks

emese wrote: »
    We are going to france for two weeks in october and we are hoping to take our dog with us. She's had her 7 months wait once (just now, moving over from the continent) to come into the country, so what i'd like to know is: will she be free to travel in and out of ireland from now on?

Yes, so long as you've kept her rabies vaccination/passport up to date and never had a gap in vaccination.

Yes, so long as you've kept her rabies vaccination/passport up to date and never had a gap in vaccination.

Thank you Wisco, that's exactly the sentence i needed to hear! :) I did finally find it last night on the agriculture.gov.ie website also; it's great news!!
    Do you know anything about the tapeworm/fit to travel check up..., is it the same with those? No need for them once everything is kept utd?

emese wrote: »
    Do you know anything about the tapeworm/fit to travel check up..., is it the same with those? No need for them once everything is kept utd?

As far as I know, the regulations still say you need to see the vet 24 hours before entering Ireland (ie, just before you get on the ferry) to have them certify at tapeworm treatment (they have to do it so they can stamp the passport, rather than you buying/administering these). I know the rules on this are changing, but I haven't looked at them lately, so think the old way still stands for the moment, unfortunately for you (and your wallet).

As far as I know, the regulations still say you need to see the vet 24 hours before entering Ireland (ie, just before you get on the ferry) to have them certify at tapeworm treatment (they have to do it so they can stamp the passport, rather than you buying/administering these). I know the rules on this are changing, but I haven't looked at them lately, so think the old way still stands for the moment, unfortunately for you (and your wallet).

I read somewhere it'll be like this till january 1st, then it's all changing - for the easier! Thanks for the info Wisco!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was on to my vet rhe other day about the pet passport and he was saying that the rules are changing at the moment so that's good news. But taking a dog into the country from the UK is different to trying to get a dog into here from France; France apparently has rabies so they are MUCH stricker about that.
    You don't want your pet to be in a quarantine run for 6 months :(. Or to be refused at the port.
    I rang the department I'd agriculture and spoke to about 6 different people ( I want my dog to go to France on holos wih me) but the website they referred me to was 3 years out of dTe and nobody seemed to care or have a clue.
    Useless. Dog has staycation til it's all cleared up and communicated to the staff in the ports I think : $

I was on to my vet rhe other day about the pet passport and he was saying that the rules are changing at the moment so that's good news. But taking a dog into the country from the UK is different to trying to get a dog into here from France; France apparently has rabies so they are MUCH stricker about that.
    You don't want your pet to be in a quarantine run for 6 months :(. Or to be refused at the port.
    I rang the department I'd agriculture and spoke to about 6 different people ( I want my dog to go to France on holos wih me) but the website they referred me to was 3 years out of dTe and nobody seemed to care or have a clue.
    Useless. Dog has staycation til it's all cleared up and communicated to the staff in the ports I think : $

Yep, the UK and Ireland are a common travel area, so no travel restrictions for pets between the two. The continent and Ireland or UK you need a pet passport. Rules are changing from January 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I rang the department of griculture and spoke to about 6 different people about approved carriers and travelling by ferry ( I want my dog to go to France on holos wih me) but the website they referred me to was 3 years out of date and nobody really seemed to care or have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

It seems that they finally brought in this previously discussed legislation - I've had my eye on it for a while since I'm currently living in Italy but will more than likely be looking to return with my Jack Russell in the next few months.

From the DFA website:
    Changes to Entry Requirements from 1 January 2012 (except from the UK)
    IMPORTANT NOTICE - CHANGES TO ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FROM 1 JANUARY 2012

From 1 January 2012 the rabies vaccination requirement for pets entering Ireland is being harmonised with requirements throughout the European Union, although some additional requirements and advice with regard to tick and tapeworm treatment may still apply.
    Entry requirements for pets from 1 January 2012:

Entry from other EU Member States and qualifying (low risk) countries:
    (see list of countries on this website - 'EU Passport and Pet Travel'.)

You must have an EU Pet Passport or Veterinary Certificate certifying microchip identification and subsequent rabies vaccination at least 21 days before entry into Ireland.

Unvaccinated pets under 3 months of age are not permitted entry.

Entry from non-qualifying (high risk) countries:

You must have an EU Pet Passport or Veterinary Certificate certifying microchip identification, subsequent rabies vaccination and a successful blood test at least 30 days post vaccination and at least 3 months before entry.

The 3 month wait does not apply to re-entry if the blood test was carried out prior to a pet leaving the EU.

Tick & tapeworm treatments

EU proposals requiring tapeworm treatment before entry are currently being discussed but have not yet been finalised. It is also likely that travellers will be advised to avail of tick treatment for their pets.

Pets in quarantine

Pets in quarantine post 1 January 2012 will be released as they become eligible. For example, an identified, rabies vaccinated, pet from a non qualifying (high risk) country that enters '6 month' quarantine on 31 December 2011 will be releasable as soon as the new conditions (i.e. successful 30 day blood test plus 3 month wait) are met.

Further information: Help-line 1890 504 604
    From outside Ireland: +353 1 607 2827
    E-mail: pets@agriculture.gov.ie

So, as an earlier poster said it has become a lot simpler (really just brought into line with the rest of Europe but that's beside the point).

If you're coming from an EU country you no longer need to do the expensive and time consuming blood titre to verify the efficacy of the rabies vaccine, nor wait 6 months. It seems that you will however have to give your dog the rabies vaccine again 21 days before entry into Ireland (I don't know if this can have a big impact on a dogs' health - but I imagine the fewer vaccinations the better and my little Jack Russell will now have to have the vaccine twice over a 6 month period, but there's worse things that can happen I suppose).

If you are coming from a Non-EU country or a country in which rabies is prevalent you have to follow the old procedure for us EU folk - except just a 3 month wait between the blood titre and entry into Ireland.

kaki wrote: »
    It seems that they finally brought in this previously discussed legislation - I've had my eye on it for a while since I'm currently living in Italy but will more than likely be looking to return with my Jack Russell in the next few months.

From the DFA website:

So, as an earlier poster said it has become a lot simpler (really just brought into line with the rest of Europe but that's beside the point).

If you're coming from an EU country you no longer need to do the expensive and time consuming blood titre to verify the efficacy of the rabies vaccine, nor wait 6 months. It seems that you will however have to give your dog the rabies vaccine again 21 days before entry into Ireland (I don't know if this can have a big impact on a dogs' health - but I imagine the fewer vaccinations the better and my little Jack Russell will now have to have the vaccine twice over a 6 month period, but there's worse things that can happen I suppose).

If you are coming from a Non-EU country or a country in which rabies is prevalent you have to follow the old procedure for us EU folk - except just a 3 month wait between the blood titre and entry into Ireland.

It doesn't say that, it says the vaccination has to be given at least 21 days before entry, not that it has to be given again, as long as there is a record of it, in the pet passport, then thats whats needed.

Advertisement