Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staircase

• 05-08-2011 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

What is the difference between a hardwood & softwood stairs? I know the grade of timber is different but I am planning on painting the staircase so the finish is not that important.

I want to avoid having a stairs that will creak etc when walking up it.

Ta.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hi wrote: »
    What is the difference between a hardwood & softwood stairs? I know the grade of timber is different but I am planning on painting the staircase so the finish is not that important.

Ta.
    A hardwood staircase is more durable. It resists all the dings and scratches better than softwood. You could consider having the staircase constructed out of sheet material (mdf/plywood) if it is going to be painted. Any good joinery will make a staircase that won't creak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

There should glue blocks on the underside of the stairs screwed on to the step and riser to stop the steps creaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 daddymcdee

price is also a big difference and it's a sin to paint any natural timber never mind a hardwood :0)))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Hi wrote: »

Plenty of express nails driven into the wall.

Advertisement