Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Patww79 wrote: »
    Kizer has more actual physical talent than Flynn or Hundley put together. Whether he ever gets the mental side remains to be seen.

Exactly my thinking here. If you look at Kizer without knowing of his time with the Browns you think he looks like an NFL QB. Physically he's got the attributes. I just think it's near impossible for someone to be thrown in the position he was at Cleveland and succeed, especially just off a draft.

Read a couple of things saying we were keen on drafting him but eventually chose to go for other targets, so there's some positive signs.

I'm hoping to see us clear a bit more cap space and go aggressive in FA. There's only so much you can do in the draft. If we're serious about our short term aims then FA pickups are a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What physical talents are we talking about? Kizer is 6'4, 233lbs... Hundley was 6'3, 226, Kizers arm is 1 inch longer at 33 vs 32 while Hundley has the bigger hands. Kizer can throw keep and has a strong arm, so did Hundley. Hundley is also notably faster at a 4.51 40 vs Kizers 4.83 as Kizer was on pace to scramble for less than Rodgers does in a season (and while Aaron's scrambling is great, he's not a 600+ yards guy nor ever will be - he gets the first down and goes to ground or the sideline). Kizer is wildly inaccurate and cannot spot open recievers, neither could read anything presnap, both of them after 7-8 games looked like they were taking their first professional snap every single down,

I really, really, really hope I'm wrong, but we just traded for a carbon copy of Brett Hundley, albeit with more upside. Thing is, upside is useless without having the fundamentals or the brain to utilise your abilities. I can see this being a "why the what the how the actual f*** did we do that!?" move as soon as Kizer if forced to play if Rodgers gets injured again (knock on wood).

Given that nobody has played the position as well as Rodgers, give me a limp armed, molasses slow, 30-something, 5'10 QB who knows how to game manage and has the brains not to turn it over over either of those guys as the backup absolutely any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Hundley can throw deep, really deep. He just can't throw for the life of him throw deep accurately, and Kizer last year was no different. Hundley was more than 7% more accurate of the two of them, nothing more needs to be said.
    He's on $5.6mn for next year, real handy site for this time of year: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Jordy being released according to reports. Can't say the new man isn't making a mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

I thought Cobb would be the one to let go. Disappointed for jordy. Great player

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Graham in Jordy out, dunno what to make of that

• Advertisement

I think Nelson had to go, between the contract and how much he's regressed. I'm with you on Graham though. He's wrong side of 30 and on the downhill too.

If he recaptures his saints form were on the pigs back. I think Seattle didn't use him right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018CB.php

Theres still a few about. Nelson going should free up space for one hopefully, depending on how much Graham is on.

I'm happy with the swap over. We needed to ditch Nelson or Cobb, I would have rathered Cobb and restructuring Nelson if possible but one had to go. We also needed a TE that can stretch the field and Graham can definitely do that, he just didn't really fit how Seattle play at all since he's not hugely physical but our offense has always been based more on timing and YAC when it's at its best.

Still definitely need to get a boundary corner and they're going quick, but if we get one (and Wilkerson if it's a prove it deal would be amazing too) I think this sets us up nicely for the draft. IF we somehow manage to get say Davenport at EDGE, St. Brown as a boundary WR in the second allowing Cobb to be in his best role also, and a nickel CB in the third if we can get value there and I'd be stupidly happy. With Ripkowski/Williams/Jones/Monty in the backfield (Jones might be a serious player), the quality starting line we have even without Bulaga since Spriggs has improved so much and the depth that it looks like has popped up with last years injuries I'm pretty excited for our offense. The holes on the defense need filling ASAP though.

Still waiting on the CB but this was nice to wake up to - Wilkerson signed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921096/article/muhammad-wilkerson-signing-1year-deal-with-packers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I think Nelson had to go, between the contract and how much he's regressed. I'm with you on Graham though. He's wrong side of 30 and on the downhill too.

Dunno if it’s fair to judge jordi on last season. He’d no qb. Thought it strange that we’d enquire about the likes of Robinson while signing graham.
    It’s pretty obvious our d is poor and needs major overhaul

We need an experienced boundary CB and a high end OLB in the draft (can't think of many of the calibre needed in FA and it's too expensive a position going that route for us anyway) but beyond that our personnel is pretty solid - the line with Wilkerson now is really, really good, I like our safeties, Matthews/Perry/[Davenport?] at OLB would be quality (and Biegel is essentially new player too), Martinez is class at ILB though beside him is a bit of a question mark (would love to see Josh Jones here for 3rd-and-long plays, also think Matthews could still be a bit of a force at ILB, Jake Ryan otherwise is just OK but not terrible). A nickel CB in the mid rounds and ILB mid/late would be very worthwhile pickups.

So long as we get a good boundary CB before the draft, and that's a big asterisk, I think we've done really well setting ourselves up for the draft and potentially a huge improvement on defense.

The more and more I think of Clark/Wilkerson/Daniels on the line the more excited I'm getting about it (and I really like Dean Lowry too), but we need someone else at OLB (partly from Clay declining, partly from him and Perry being safe bets to each miss time) and fixing up the boundary/slot corner slots for it to really show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Bring in the honey badger. Just do it.i said I wanted him when he was in the draft. I still want him

So Raiders have a former Packers WR (Jordy Nelson) and former Packers TE (Jared Cook), signed by a former Packers executive (GM Reggie McKenzie), coached by a former Packers OC (Edgar Bennett), working under a former Packers WR coach (Jon Gruden). Lots of #Packers in Oakland.
    Jordy got 15m for 2 years. Good for him. It will be interesting to see how he gets on without Rodgers. We made a play for breeland so were actively looking for a cb which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

cosatron wrote: »
    So Raiders have a former Packers WR (Jordy Nelson) and former Packers TE (Jared Cook), signed by a former Packers executive (GM Reggie McKenzie), coached by a former Packers OC (Edgar Bennett), working under a former Packers WR coach (Jon Gruden). Lots of #Packers in Oakland.
    Jordy got 15m for 2 years. Good for him. It will be interesting to see how he gets on without Rodgers. We made a play for breeland so were actively looking for a cb which is good.

Like to know how much of that 15m is guaranteed .

More than I'd pay, notwithstanding the fabulous service Jordy has given to GB

Like to know how much of that 15m is guaranteed .

More than I'd pay, notwithstanding the fabulous service Jordy has given to GB

13m guaranteed. Its allot. He was set to make 12m with us this year so no surprise really he was got cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

cosatron wrote: »
    13m guaranteed. Its allot. He was set to make 12m with us this year so no surprise really he was got cut.

That's over two years. 6.5m this year.

Wish nothing but the best for Jordy, hope he kills it for the Raiders. Best case scenario for us aswell, not in the NFC and not the Patriots.

We looked after Woodson, they'll look after Jordy.

Tramon Williams coming back to Green Bay on a two year deal.

Solid pick up, he was the 9th ranked CB last year according to PFF.

Add in DRC and a rookie and I think we're not looking too bad in the back field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Tramon Williams coming back to Green Bay on a two year deal.

Solid pick up, he was the 9th ranked CB last year according to PFF.

Add in DRC and a rookie and I think we're not looking too bad in the back field.

Yep, don't mind that. Apparently a $10m, two year deal. Be interesting to see how that's structured.

Even at 35, he can still improve the secondary and adding experience - and a man who knows Green Bay - can't be a bad thing.

Keep'em coming.

I'm happy having T-Willy back, he's old but still has it and it makes up for what I thought was a missed opportunity for an ex-Packer in Sam Shields. Would have been gas if we had goth both of them and held onto House though!

That surely has to have us set to focus on OLB for the first round, then if things fall nicely a WR and CB in the 2nd and/or 3rd.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm happy having T-Willy back, he's old but still has it and it makes up for what I thought was a missed opportunity for an ex-Packer in Sam Shields. Would have been gas if we had goth both of them and held onto House though!

That surely has to have us set to focus on OLB for the first round, then if things fall nicely a WR and CB in the 2nd and/or 3rd.

I think we'll take any of the top 6 defensive prospects if they fall (Chubb, Edmunds, Smith, Ward, Fitzpatrick, James), and if not then trade back and pick up Davenport/Landry.

Possibly, though sitting and taking Davenport at #14 also seems quite likely, I'd reckon.

Just saw this too...

https://twitter.com/JordyRNelson/status/977191706067111936

it looks like we will be cheering for 2 teams this year, the packers and whoever is playing the saints. Happy enough with having a true cb added to a depleted secondary. Mayock ranked him as the 12th best player in the draft and rates him higher than ward. Landry is still on the board if he starts to slip I can see us moving up for a reasonable price.

• Advertisement

Advertisement