Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Packers have the saints first round pick in the 2019 draft. The worse the Saints do next season the better this pick will be for the Packers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Word is this Alexander dude is a good fit for the Packers.

Not the tallest...5.10 bit below the Packers height limit for corners.

A good athlete with a bit of attitude is the word.

I’m happy with the pick.

Hopefully....they passed up on some ‘stud’ names to get this dude so as you say fingers crossed.

One thing I like coming out of the Packers ‘camp’ is the defensive mantra

“no more big plays”. Pissed off with the big up the middle plays the D gave up when a stop would have been almost vital.

Even cut 50% of those bad boys out would be improvement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I was fuming last night when we traded down with our best three realistic options still on the board (Fitzpatrick, Ward and esp Chubb were never making it to us, but I was praying for a trade up for Chubb if Denver went with a QB at 1.5) but I can kind of get behind it now. Kind of, because the Saints first rounder next year is likely to be 26th or lower and they have balance now meaning Brees can afford to fall off a bit further - though they do have a number of tough games (Falcons x2, Panthers x2, Rams, Steelers, Vikings, Cowboys, Eagles) so we might get a bit lucky in that sense.

Alexander is pretty exciting from most things I have seen - a bit on the shorter side at 5'10 but he's every bit the ball hawk Randall was (and that is something Randall excelled at), with much better physicality (though it apparently didn't show as much last year due to a number of injuries) and he seems to have a good personality. Even coming up to the podium last night he was infectious, and I'd like to see more of that in our defense along with Matthews and Martinez of course.

Youtube videos can be pretty deceptive, but the commentary in the clips is if anything more illuminating:

A more in depth look of his game against Clemson here, against Deshaun Watson who in his limited time last year was maybe the most impressive rookie QB I've ever seen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hmIV5e0EII&t=1s

By the way, we now officially have 15 DBs on our roster before the rest of the draft and UDFAs :pac: . I kind of like hwo we are looking at CB if this works out: Alexander and King being two potential stars for the next decade, House and Tramon adding lots of experience, familiarity and both being A++ locker room guys. House might not be the most talented but he's good depth while Tramon hopefully has another year in him to help the others ease in. Then for depth we've got Hawkins, Pipkins, Waters and Rollins all fighting for the remaining spots along with maybe another rookie and some UDFAs. It's not immediately a position of strength, but it is very interesting as a group.

We now have ten picks in rounds 4-7 (2 fourths, 4 fifths, 1 sixth, 3 sevenths) and with the 13th pick tonight, I really would like to see us trade up for an edge rusher and WR tonight.

Also, this.

https://twitter.com/SBNationCFB/status/989686797402869761?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.footballsfuture.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FSBNationCFB%2Fstatus%2F989686797402869761

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Billy86 wrote: »
    I was fuming last night when we traded down with our best three realistic options still on the board (Fitzpatrick, Ward and esp Chubb were never making it to us, but I was praying for a trade up for Chubb if Denver went with a QB at 1.5) but I can kind of get behind it now. Kind of, because the Saints first rounder next year is likely to be 26th or lower and they have balance now meaning Brees can afford to fall off a bit further - though they do have a number of tough games (Falcons x2, Panthers x2, Rams, Steelers, Vikings, Cowboys, Eagles) so we might get a bit lucky in that sense.

Alexander is pretty exciting from most things I have seen - a bit on the shorter side at 5'10 but he's every bit the ball hawk Randall was (and that is something Randall excelled at), with much better physicality (though it apparently didn't show as much last year due to a number of injuries) and he seems to have a good personality. Even coming up to the podium last night he was infectious, and I'd like to see more of that in our defense along with Matthews and Martinez of course.

Youtube videos can be pretty deceptive, but the commentary in the clips is if anything more illuminating:

A more in depth look of his game against Clemson here, against Deshaun Watson who in his limited time last year was maybe the most impressive rookie QB I've ever seen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hmIV5e0EII&t=1s

By the way, we now officially have 15 DBs on our roster before the rest of the draft and UDFAs :pac: . I kind of like hwo we are looking at CB if this works out: Alexander and King being two potential stars for the next decade, House and Tramon adding lots of experience, familiarity and both being A++ locker room guys. House might not be the most talented but he's good depth while Tramon hopefully has another year in him to help the others ease in. Then for depth we've got Hawkins, Pipkins, Waters and Rollins all fighting for the remaining spots along with maybe another rookie and some UDFAs. It's not immediately a position of strength, but it is very interesting as a group.

We now have ten picks in rounds 4-7 (2 fourths, 4 fifths, 1 sixth, 3 sevenths) and with the 13th pick tonight, I really would like to see us trade up for an edge rusher and WR tonight.

Also, this.

https://twitter.com/SBNationCFB/status/989686797402869761?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.footballsfuture.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FSBNationCFB%2Fstatus%2F989686797402869761

That video is brilliant. He matched up with mike Williams and made a fool of Watson and his got some swag

And while being 5'10 is a bit of a knock he's got a great leap... plus the minor matter of 6'3 Kevin King across from him.

Well, we have hit on three all pro DBs in the last five years (Haha, Hayward, Hyde), it's more a case of hoping we now have a DC that doesn't make elite talents look average so we can focus the early picks in future years on other positions.

• Advertisement

He had a bad year last season, he was quality the year before that and good in 2015 too. Capers' coaching and playcalling is why we showed Hayward and Hyde the door also. How great would it have been to be enter the draft last night with two all pro safeties and an pro CB already locked up? We could have taken Edmunds or Davenport without blinking, or even considered seeing if we could trade up for Chubb on the edge or Roquan Smith to make a potentially ridiculous ILB pairing with Martinez.

Stolen from the draft thread because it'll be buried a few pages deep by the morning, this guy seems really hard not to like. Randall's attitude as a teammate was by all accounts absolutely appalling, that couldn't look further from the case with Jaire!

https://twitter.com/espn/status/989938097801527296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2057793552%26page%3D20&tfw_site=boards_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd take a lot of guys performances on D with a pinch of salt with Capers in charge. It was a bit nuts how players went from being brilliant to our D looking completely lost in the space of a few players under him.

New man in charge and hopefully with that a better attitude and scheme. If our defense improves to a top half D, then we'll be well in with a shout with AR there. Hopefully a decent WR and LB to follow in the next day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Happy with the pick. Looks pretty aggressive and can make plays.

Don't get me wrong, I still think everyone on the D is playing for the jobs this year including Haha, Clay and others. They don't have the excuse of a bad scheme/coach to hide behind now. I think Pettine will get the best out of the ones who actually want to be there and improve.

His players stopped playing for him, and it was clear as day. Our defense hasn't looked like a unit with belief in itself for a long, long time.

I have also never made out that Hayward was some kind of mess in GB, and I was really excited about him after his rookie year. But Capers did neuter his potential as he has with many DBs who looked good as rookies (Hyde, Randall, Rollins, and Josh Jones also fell off a lot as Dom over complicated his role last season after a great start just last year), and in the seasons after he was shuffled all over the place (just like Hyde) and never looked as impressive with just 3 picks in 3 years; he has 11 in his two years with the Chargers. If he had looked anywhere near that, we either would have resigned him, or he would have got significantly more than the $15mn/3yrs ($6.8mn guaranteed) that the Chargers gave him.

Here is OverTheCap's analysis of Hayward going into free agency in 2016, and note that he went for significantly less than they estimated at the end:
    Hayward kind of exploded onto the scene as a rookie in which he was arguably the best slot corner in the entire league. He was all over the field that season with a ridiculous 21 passes defended and 6 interceptions. If he had three more seasons like that on the outside we would be talking about him making $14 million a year, but he has never recaptured that magic and has also been banged up at times over the last few seasons.

Hayward got his opportunity to play outside this year and he has done well, but most teams around the NFL will likely value him as a 3rd corner and not a top level player on the outside. That probably limits his market somewhat but probably won’t limit his earning potential too badly. Buster Skrine earned over $6 million a year as a slot with the ability to play outside and Heyward is clearly superior.

The Packers will probably move on from Hayward just as they moved on from Davon House last season, unless they decide that Heyward can replace Sam Shields. If they go there, expect Hayward to get close to high end money as the Packers went above market to retain Shields a few years ago and there would be little reason for Hayward to take a bargain contract. If Heyward hits free agency, his best chance for a big contract is If some of the higher upside players re-sign early with their teams which leads him to becoming one of the top available names and he gets paid to play outside. Even if they don’t I do not believe he will be lost in the shuffle, but he probably will end up as more of a fallback plan than the first free agent target and looked at as a jack of all trades type of player

Predicted Value: 4 years, $27-$31 million

aaron-rodgers-nfltoday-wk13.jpg

This is the most optimistic I have been about our SB chances in 3-4 years - something I've said we won't win on here for numerous seasons - and the reason is no Dom Capers.

• Advertisement

I really don't think it is. Being a playoff team means you're always there with a chance and after that it generally can come down to whose D stands up in the heat of battle.

Unfortunately for us, time and again for the last decade, our D **** the bed when it came to big plays at big moments or in the big games - Seattle (the special teams **** up and then massive give ups on passes down the middle in OT), SF (letting Kap run all over us and not adapting whatsoever), gave up 44 points against the Falcons last year, Arizona (in overtime Fitz going 70 odd yards etc).

Our OL is rock solid, we could do with some more strength at RB and WR which will be addressed in the draft, Jimmy Graham gives us a proper catching TE for the first time in years, and Rodgers is still Rodgers.

I have high hopes for our D because I think individually quite a few have serious ability, but they just haven't been utilised.

I actually quite like our RBs - with the number of late picks we have I wouldn't mind seeing us take a high value pick there, but I have no issues whatsoever if we don't. Monty really surprised me in 2016 particularly between the tackles but missed half of last season and wasn't 100% fit when playing for the most part either, though I really hope he has improved on his pass blocking which was such a shame as he'd be a great 3rd down back to have if he can improve it. Jamaal Williams is a solid north-south kind of guy, nothing amazing but can pass block, showed OK hands as well, and should be handy for shutting out games and keeping teams honest.

Aaron Jones though is a guy I really want to see more of, I still don't know why he didn't get more carries last year because he was electric when on the field, is the best back we've had at spotting a hole and getting to it quick since Ryan Grant as well as the most dangerous back in terms of cutting his routes that I've seen us have since Ahman Green - I think he is the one with the potential to be a 1,200+ yard back out of the lot of them. I didn't get enough of him to see how he looked in the passing game, though. As a committee of three with Rip being an athletic FB able to chip in too, I think we've got something good going there.

Our line is built more for pass blocking which makes perfect sense, but last year we had a number of injuries there (silver lining being we found out our young backups appear good), and we also had maybe the least threatening pass attack in the entire league so their YPC's were hurt by this with defenses stacking the box and Hundley still being useless, Monty winding up on 3.8ypc and Williams on 3.6... but Jones still put up 5.5 which was incredible.

Video of nearly, possibly all, of Jones' 81 carries for 448 yards last year for us (skip to 0:40).

I would like an edge rusher and WR tonight (we'd need to trade up for both), a little bit extra depth on the defensive line with the late round picks, and an ILB as well maybe in the 4th. A developmental TE behind Graham would be nice too and another DB (maybe more of a safety/slot guy), but after that I quite like where we're sitting in terms of being able to just go BPA.

I would have been incredibly unhappy a few days ago if someone said we had not picked up an edge rusher or WR in the first three rounds but... it's kind of hard to argue with what we've got. Sorry by the way, kind of lost the run of myself with this post! :o

First is Alexander, who a lot of people had quite close to Ward and who was the #1 CB in the entire draft as far as Mayock was concerned. He was injured a lot last year but had he kept (which for GB is a worry in itself!) but if he had kept fit and repeated his 2016 year there's a solid chance he would have been hyped up as a top 5 guy and been ahead of Fitzpatrick and Ward. And we've only a few snippets but the guys attitude seems incredible, kind of reminds me of Donald Driver in that sense. We'll see if he keeps it up deep into the year or if we're having a terrible game etc, but it's a huge bonus to me if he does.

Second is Johnson. I think we were looking more at Harold Landry before the Titans came up and stole him 2-3 picks before us, so if we were not enamoured with any other OLBs it's hard not to agree with this pick. Capers preferred nippy, quick CBs while Pettine's system (Browns HC 2014-15, Bills DC 2013, Jets DC 2009-12) is much more physical and bump-and-run, more like when we had Woodson and Al Harris as our CBs early in/before Capers' time. This guy has got a lot of comparisons to Richard Sherman and Josh Norman in that sense, is big, physical and a quality tackler with great coverage skills. His combine 40 time of 4.49 hurt him and is likely the reason he dropped though those are often deceptive and can be "played around" especially for a bump-and-run type - by comparison Sherman ran a 4.56 and Norman a 4.64 (while Alexander's 4.38 was the fourth quickest of this years DBs). This guy was WalterFootball.com (great website for draft player analysis) and PFF's top rated CB for the entire draft, as well as their #11 and #10 overall players full stop. With the 45th pick, it's pretty much impossible to argue with that value. Also makes it a bit of a shame we didn't get Edmunds or Davenport with the initial #14 pick but the secondary it gives us could be insane and nobody would have predicted Jackson being there in the second.

Our secondary is now looking extremely deep - if the rookies hit the ground running we've got Johnson's physical style to go with 6'3 freak athlete Kevin King on the boundaries, Alexander in the slot could be lethal with all the positives Randall gave there for ball hawking but also an excellent attitude, infectious and high energy guy which I've got a huge bias towards (Matthews, Martinez being our current best examples of that), who is a good tackler that relishes the physical aspect, though one knock is he apparently isn't great getting off blocks (not a big one to me, as bad as our pass defense has been we've been decent against the run the last two years so no major need there, and if we blitz him the odd time you always want your DBs to get clean through on those plays anyway). If Dix can get back to his 2016 form (the "secret" is just playing him to his strengths - keep his role simple in deep coverage over the middle with the occasional play coming closer on running downs or for an unexpected blitz) and Josh Jones slots in to Burnett's role well the safeties should be as good as they were for 2015-16 which was very good, and if we can build on Jones' first half to last season we've frankly got serious playmakers and ball hawks at every DB position.

Then for depth we've got Tramon as insurance for this year if either rookie takes a while to adjust who while 35 he was still NFL starter quality last season, and House for depth, more experience, and by all accounts since he returned last year is also an A+ locker room kind of guy. I like Kendrell Brice as a backup safety - nothing special but he has never looked a liability when filling in and Marwin Evans as a backup SS also looked OK last year. That leaves 1-2 DB spots open for Hawkins, Pipkins, Waters, Rollins (who might be moved to safety), Donatello Brown and maybe 1-2 UDFAs or 'value' picks in the 6th-7th rounds to fight for, all quite young and all very cheap to have on the roster.

---

I'm not that familiar with Oren Burks but one thing that has been pointed out is the buy's athleticism is insane - going by his combine numbers he is going to be one of the more athletic ILBs in the entire league from his first day in the league, though obviously there is a tonne more to the position than just that. At 6'3, 233lbs I'd be almost certain we are not using him on the edge though he might fit alongside Martinez like a glove - one of the main reasons I was sad to see Burnett go was that it meant Josh Jones moving to SS rather than ILB where we all know too well how badly we've needed a coverage guy for those 7-15 yard over the middle passes on third downs and this might cover it, and at 6'3 he's also going to be hard to throw the ball over/in and behind.

If he doesn't slot in as an immediate start that's OK as Jake Ryan is nothing special but not bad and we can always sub him in on 3rd and long plays if we like. Some comparisons have been Ryan Shazier and Anthony Barr of the Vikings, extremely fast sideline-to-sideline guys who can get all over the field. Martinez (and our defensive line, even before Mo Wilkerson) helped making running up the middle or off the side of the tackles against us a bit of a nightmare for opponents last year and he's good in coverage too, but hopefully Burks can be the real coverage specialist in our unit moving forward.

If he can clog up the 'easy option' against us for the last half decade or so, coupled with big, physical CBs jamming the line WRs at the LOS, Josh Jones and Alexander being extremely opportunist guys with great athleticism in the slot/SS spots as well as Dix just back doing his thing deeper down the field, that alone could help our pass rush. I still want to see something added at OLB from us (Biegel returning will help a bit here but I hope we can find a big, physical monster at some point today, even if it means a raw and developmental guy... let's go high risk/high reward, we've got two first rounders next year if it doesn't work out) but we've likely helped our ability to get to the QB with all the other pieces. And of course Mo/Clark/Daniels could be pretty terrifying collapsing things inside.

He also comes over as well spoken, is reportedly a very smart guy on and off the field, was a team captain and was involved in charity work and activism through college.

---

Wishlist for today:
    - Deep threat WR. I think we can afford someone a little more raw here if the trade off for athleticism is worth it, but playing with Rodgers one thing that is extremely important is intelligence, so no 'flat track bully' stereotypes please. Good hands, intelligence, speed and length are what I want from our pick here, things like route precision or physical strength can be worked on even if it means them not hitting the ground running.

- OLB. Physical freaks please, again I am OK going with raw players and possibly even a guy who's intelligence is not one of his biggest strengths - even getting a guy who literally knows how to do nothing but run directly for the CB (with some block shedding moves) is worth it if we can find him, e.g. even if he struggles against the run and/or in coverage.

- Developmental TE. Kendricks has shown in the past he can be a 40-50 catch TE which is nice to have as #2 to Graham but he was brutal last year (though it's impossible to judge anyone Hundley passes the ball to) and while Jimmy is a great addition he is also 32, so someone to build up to challenge Kendricks this year, maybe take his spot next year, and be able to either be a handy squad guy like Richard Rodgers was or in a perfect world take over for Graham in about three years would be a big benefit.

- Maybe 2+ defensive linemen, just for the depth and to develop. We've got a great starting trio, Lowry impressed me as an 'unsung dirty work' kind of guy last season and Montravius Adams as a 3rd rounder barely played partly due to injuries (no worry, DL men often do nothing as rookies - Kenny Clark being one other example - so hopefully he can get in the mix this year). But beyond that we literally have nothing, not a guy on the roster. So picking up two here, another 2-3 UDFAs to fight for spots on the team or practice squad, and maybe an experienced journeyman FA on over the summer would help flesh things out a bit. Guys who can contribute as depth in year one over guys with higher upside might be preferred here.

- BPA. We've got a huge number of picks today (10, if I recall) and I'd be all for using some of them to trade up if we want to pounce on someone, but otherwise just use the rest on guys to develop over time at whatever position. A 3rd string/PS QB maybe, it never hurts to get late round offensive linemen, perhaps a RB if there's great value, maybe a long snapper? I like Trevor Davis as a returner, Jaire Alexander apparently excels at it too and we've got guys like Monty or Cobb there for depth in case we get a bunch of injuries while Vogel looks like a good young punter and Crosby is Crosby so it's hard to really even pick out random special teams needs. Gunner might be one with Janis (one of the very best in the league) gone and Goodson likely leaving too but obviously that's late 7th round/UDFA type of stuff.

Despite not getting a pass rusher, I'm really happy with how the draft went. We came in with a very clear idea of what we wanted - to add speed, size, physicality and to become more imposing - and we executed it very well. Establishing a clear team identity is something that I think is at times underrated in the NFL, and by most accounts we got some really high character players in there as well which is nice.

There is only one pick that I am quite unhappy abou which was JK Scott at punter in the 5th round. I've seen some givign out stink about taking a punter in the fifth but if this guy goes on to be an Johnny Hekker I'm more than happy to spend that on him since I think it's a bit of a joke how much some NFL fans/staff/etc undervalue good special teams play. But... after years of poor-to-mediocre punting, Vogel last year as a rookie was a pro bowl alternate and played very well there - it's a move I don't understand. An extra body on the defensive line or a pass rusher to develop at this stage would have been a far better use of the pick, in my opinion.

At CB we've got a tough, physical guy just under 6'1 who was top 10-12 in a lot of big boards who has been compared to Norman/Sherman and who despite a 'disappointing' 40 time of 4.49 still outran both of them very easily (Sherman was 4.56 and Norman was 4.66), and across from him is possibly the best physical specimen at the position in the entire league (King) who came in very raw and probably still is somewhat, but who those watching him since week 1 of preseason would have seen make very big strides in that regard - given Pettine likes more physical play from his CBs (Jets 2009-12, Bills 2013, Browns 2013-14 when their defense was often referred to as 'chippy') we couldn't really ask for a better suited combo. Then Jaire Alexander at CB who seemed to have won over the entire league before even leaving the building gives us an incredibly dangerous ball hawk who has no qualms about launching himself at TEs or RBs and who might prove every bit as important as an all-pro boundary CB (different style, but just think of how important Chris Harris in the slot is for Denver's defense as an example). He was also top 10-15 in most big boards, the #1 CB on a few of those, and may have been the consensus #1 if not for injury issues last year. And of course there's Tramon and House for experience and insurance this year, leaving maybe a half dozen other guys fighting for 1-2 roster spots.

At safety we now have two guys with incredible athleticism - arguably the most athletic combo outside of Seattle in the league - both of who can get after the QB on occasion (Josh Jones had 2 sacks last year, Dix has 4.5 for his career), and who both have a knack of getting to the ball and who know how for force turnovers. As well as just speed (Dix ran a 4.56 40 but plays much faster than this, while Jones ran a 4.41 which was 2nd among all safeties last year, just 0.01s behind Obi Melifonwu) both are big guys at 6'1 each (Dix is listed 208lbs, Jones 220). Dix had a poor year last year but seems to be quite self critical of it in recent interviews while Jones started out on fire then fell victim to the trademark Don Capers misuse and confusion stuff. If Dix's head is back in the right place and Jones is more sure of himself and his role in what is seen as his best position, we could have a pair of absolute weapons there. Marwin Evans and Kentrell Brice are both very cheap, and reasonably good backups - nothing special but both have seen plenty of the field the last two years and I don't recall either being a liability at any point.

Our LBs are quite similar which is one disappointment, but it's been thrown around a lot that Pettine's defenses have never had elite rushers yet have always been good at getting to the QB based on bringing others from the secondary and DL (Daniels, Wilkerson and Clark are all very good at this) and creating some confusion. Outside of Alexander (whose highlights still show him getting into the backfield a fair bit), all four of our DBs are over 6ft and 200lbs with excellent speed which should help nicely here. Biegel being back and healthy behind Matthews and Perry should also give a bit of a boost, and our 7th rounder Donnarson might be interesting to keep an eye on (the guy ran a 4.44 40yd dash!! :eek: ) though the very most I'd expect from him this year is special teams play and maybe some junk time action since he's apparently as raw as is humanely possible. Still, to get an athletic freak OLB at the end of the 7th round is a gamble well worth taking even if he eventually amounts to nothing. All the same, I would very much like us to get an 'over the hill' OLB like Hali or Dumervil on a cheap 1yr deal as insurance for when Matthews/Perry get injured for 3-4 games, and to hopefully add 5-8 sacks of their own. It wasn't a great year for pass rushers so once Landry was gone just before we took Jackson in the 2nd it was always going to be tough to fill a need here.

At ILB the addition of Oren Burks could be very handy - I love Martinez, but Jake Ryan is more of a run stuffer and while pretty decent is nothing special nor good in coverage. Ryan will likely start out the year and will continue to be very handy on 3rd and short (if the price is right I would give him a second contract for this alone), and Burks athleticism is likely going to take a bit of time to develop with his biggest knocks being that he is fairly newly converted to the role, a bit slim, and has some issues overrunning tackles and getting blocked out of games. But at 6'3 he is a good two inches taller than nearly anyone else at his role that I could find, making it harder to dink the ball over him (esp as he had the best broad jump of all linebackers at the combine, second best vert) which should help those infuriating 3rd-and-long-completed-over-the-middle-for-a-first situations we're all too used to for all too long. The only ILBs with better 40 times than his 4.59 were Van der Esch (4.50), Roquan Smith (4.1) and Trumaine Edmunds (4.54), all of whom were taken in the top 20 of the first round, so the ceiling for this guy as our coverage ILB should be true the roof and if he comes good, will allow Martinez to go full psycho between/around the tackles and at/behind the LOS all day long.

The defensive line is much the same with just James Looney added in the fifth round. He's apparently the type to get at the QB a bit which is always nice to have an added some depth but we still only have 6 DL men on the roster, so I would like at least one cheap 'big body' journeyman to be signed before preseason. Nothing fancy and no big names needed, just someone to rotate in here and there and give Kenny Clark a break (Lowry is a really good backup for Mo/Daniels); "Just A Guy" players are fully welcome since low cost is probably most important and adding some UDFAs into the mix here for training camp would be a good call.

Offensive line stayed about the same too - apparently 5th round pick Cole Madison is in no way ready to play but has a lot of measurables and upside which is good. I think we've all grown to absolutely love our system of drafting mid/late round guys here, giving them a year or two of special teams and slowly bleeding them in (ala Spriggs, Lane Taylor, all the young guys that chipped in last year) or getting pleasant surprises from some as rookies (Bakh, Linsley). Long may that continue, because it's taken immense pressure off us and our constant need for DBs high in the draft in the last several years. I've also seen some grief given for us taking a long snapper in the 7th, which I don't agree with - if he turns out to be the next Brett Goode (e.g. consistent and reliable for a decade, never noticed because he almost never screwed up) then this is an excellent pick. Personally I prefer seeing 7th roudners used on really high upside/really high risk guys as well as getting the jump on premium special teamers, rather than mediocre guys with mediocre ceilings whose role could be filled by a cheap FA or UDFA.

No QBs added though Kizer essentially is one. I've not got high hopes for him, he and Hundley looked like carbon copies of each other in that comically bad game last year and I would prefer a limited but smart QB than one with "all the tools" but nothing between the ears which is what he struck me as having seen an umber of Browns games last year. But I'm willing to give him a chance given he was a rookie in a really unfair situation in Cleveland. I would have preferred a journeyman veteran, like a Matt Moore type if they could be had for cheap, but what's done is done. I reckon we'll look at a 'traditional pocket' type of guy here in the UDFAs if we can find one to put on the practice squad.

No RBs added but the trio of Monty/Williams/Jones (plus Rip at FB) when playing behind an actual QB could be lethal and should make teams really have to respect us in that sense, especially with all three fresh and rotated. I want to see more running plays from us this season, in 2016 and 2017 (with Rodgers under centre) whenever I kept track we were passing about 70% of the time which is way too much. The Giants divisional game in 2016 was a great example - we ran the ball I think 3 times until the last drive or of the half, and things really opened up when we got balance. Another position where throwing a UDFA into the mix in camp won't hurt but I really, really like what we currently have on the roster and half expect by week six for the same pundits not paying attention to be irritatingly saying "nobody saw this unit coming!"

But our pass catching options... wow. I had 'deep threat WR' top of the wishlist yesterday and sweet jesus was it ever delivered - J'Mon Moore (6'3, 4.6 40 time*), Marquez Valdes-Scantling (6'5, 4.37 40), Equanimeous St. Brown (6'5, 4.48 40). Moore's 40 time is not so impressive, but look at some of the sideline grabs and fades below, the quick spins when catching, and how the guy cuts and changes direction and tell me that doesn't remind you of Jordy Nelson turning 15 yard slants and hooks into 40 yard gains. Valdes-Scantling has a lot of people saying "Janis 2.0" which isn't a bad thing (Janis is one of the leagues absolute best special teamers and I think we'll notice his absence this year). MVS' biggest weaknesses appear to be catching with consistency, his route running and that he is a 'body catcher' rather than attacking contested balls so we can expect him to be frustrating for a year or two, but the guys size/speed combo is round 1 material if we can iron it out (for reference, Julio Jones is the same height and ran a 4.39 40) which we have the depth and correct QB for. Finally is Equanimeous who I would have been delighted to get even in the 3rd round... his shortcomings are again 'body catching' and dealing with catches in traffic and general rawness, though he is very good when it comes to catching difficult balls on the boundary. I expect to see a UFDA TE or two in there, maybe more of a blocker since Graham/Kendricks are more about catching the ball.

I just can't believe what we have done there, and I kind of love it. 50-60 catches combined from those three would be a pretty good return this year but they should be very handy on special teams and in a best case scenario, could develop into one of the most dangerous WR corps in the league. Just think of this: three fast WR's ranging from 6'3-6'5, a TE that is 6'7 and runs a 4.5 40 all absolutely towering over the opposing secondary on top of being able to beat them over the top, Devante and Cobb able to catch tough in-traffic stuff underneath, with a legit running game meaning not being able to just back everyone off down the field. With Rodgers throwing the ball. Seriously, WTF do you even do against that? Rodgers must be excited as hell to get working with these guys and ironing their games out ASAP, even as early as tomorrow morning if he can.

We are now built to be the team pushing the opposing WRs around in the secondary, not the reverse of us getting shoved around. We're the team built to do the same on offense to their secondaries (the three young lads are raw but should rotate a bit, plus Adams is tough and Cobb is stocky for a slot guy). If we can't get excited about that after years of being somewhat of a finesse team that have got physically bullied in the past by the 49ers and Seahawks in particular, then I don't know what to say to you.

There is still a little extra I would like to see from us in the next while:
    FA targets: 1-2 cheap, big body defensive linemen plus one cheap edge rusher (Dumervil would be my call, but also out there are Hali, Barwin and Lamarr Houston)
    UDFA targets: a 'traidtional' QB project, maybe a RB, a more blocking based TE, 2-3 'big body' defensive linemen, possibly an ILB or OLB also.

Again we all know youtube videos are deceptive but since all three are projects (if they were ready to go day one, they'd all be first rounders) if should give an idea of what we can get from them by 2019 or 2020 if all goes to plan. But who knows, maybe one of them will surprise us and be a 40-50+ catch guy year one.

J'Mon Moore

Marquez Valdes-Scantling

Equanimeous St Brown

Looking forward to this season more than most previous seasons.

New back room team,new FAs,new quality draftees,new beginning???.

Hopefully!!

As I ,and I'm sure most of you realised, the Packers seemed to have gone 'soft' in defense over the past few years, big third down plays given up when a stop would be of huuuuuge consequence.

There now seems to be ...finally... the realisation that you need to put pressure on the QB , not sit back and hope a below par secondary will save you.

Hasn't happened under Capers, hopefully Pettine will make Lambeau Field an destination that teams won't want to come to.

Like it used to be.

Good QBs picked the Packers apart over the past three or four seasons, I would like to think that if that was to continue , the QB at least left Lambeau with black and blue ribs, not still smelling of aftershave like Matthew Stafford and with all his teeth still intact.

If anyone uses podcast programs like 'Pocket Casts' (I think it costs €2-3 but I've had it for years and it's just a one-off charge, brilliant if you want to find podcasts on your phone and keep them all really easy to find and accessible) I recently subscribed to a bunch of Packers podcasts as I've missed Packers Transplants a lot since it wrapped up 2-3 years back. Anyway as expected most were unimpressive, but I can't recommend 'Packernet' enough. It does cover a small bit of other Wisconsin teams like the Milwaukee Bucks and Brewers but around 90% of it is Packers.

I can't quite tell if it is it's own podcast or just a composite of a bunch of other ones put together, but it seems to be updated almost daily and has some great stuff on there. This one in particular I found excellent with a breakdown of our roster post-draft and how we might look come preseason - https://player.fm/series/custom-green-bay-packers-talk-radio-podcast/ep-5918-otas-position-preview

Quick notes off that and a few other podcasts on there I've been listening to in the last few weeks:
    - There is a lot of excitement about Montravius Addams on the defensive line despite him missing so much of his rookie year last season. Apparently he can pop off the LOS to create pressure in a way very few guys can. I'm interested to see between him, Daniels (good for 5-7 sacks a year), Clark (got about 5 last year from the nose) and Wilkerson (putting up double digits with the Jets before he slipped up a bit), what Pettine who is known to get the best of his players and to generate pressure in unorthodox ways as he did with the Jets during Wilkerson's best seasons, can do with them.

- If anything, there might be more excitement about Reggie Gilbert than Vince Biegel who also missed rookie time after being taken top of the 4th round last year. Gilbert was a practice squad UDFA in 2016, got onto special teams last year and got to play the last two games getting a sack and some pressures. He's apparently been a solid, steady riser who the coaches absolutely love in terms of attitude and commitment to improving.

- They really, really want to see 7th round OLB pick Kendall Donnerson against our WRs and DBs :D. He's obviously insanely raw and a long term project but ran a 4.48 40 which was second only to Shaquiem Griffin among all LBs and the same speed as St. Brown.

- Some concerns on J'Mon Moore are that he has some dropping problems though they cna be worked out, but more importantly 'body catches' which can cause issues in the NFL where you need to reach out and attack the ball more (think Jordy's quick hook routes where he would dive back and pounce on the ball like a soccer goalkeeper saving a penalty). For St. Brown his on the field work has been solid, but concerns are more over attitude and if he is a bit of a primadonna. At least small town GB could help here compared to having his head swollen in NY or LA or whatnot, comparisons were made to Julio Jones, TO and Dez Bryant so not so much 'lacking effort' and potentially a bit 'me, me, me'. MVS is apparently incredibly raw but that was expected, and a lot of Janis comparisons though if the others work out at WR, it has to be said that Janis has probably been a top 5 special teams player in the entire league since he was drafted.

- The punter JK Scott is an absolute weapon with Lechler/Johnny Hekker potential, he can boom it 70+ yards, keep it in the air forever, and it really good at directional punts to get the ball out of bounds inside the 10 yard line. At Alabama he was a game-changer and one excellent point was he played on TV with the pressure of the national championship being an expectation and not aspiration at that school. That put me a bit more at ease with the pick, though you just never know when it comes to punters.

- Jackson at CB has been doing fine but might need a small bit more time as last season was his first ever at CB which I never knew, though Jaire Alexander is looking pretty obscene by most accounts and just looks like an all-around football player rather than someone who specialises in one role, or even one position (with the caveat that the QBs throwing have been awful, can't wait to see how he looks defending Rodgers or even Kizer's passes).

- Arron Jones has the potential to be our best RB since Ahman Green. Apparently he needs a small bit of bulking up in the legs and that is why he didn't get more carries last year which I was confused about at the time, because I definitely agree with the 'best since Green' sentiment. Because of this, don't be shocked to see Monty at WR more than RB particularly early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

Loving the big effort posts Billy86, keep 'em up. Its like a Reader's Digest for Packers off-season news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

witten thinks des bryant will go to paxckers, I would love that

Advertisement