Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Did anyone watch last night?

I saw the 7mins hightlight reel online this morning.
    I know the final play / hail Mary was a travesty, it looked like GB weren't good enough to deserve the win anyway?

Anyone agree?

Perhaps you are right in that the Packers might not have deserved the win but how can you make any such decision on just 7 minutes! Seems from reports that the Packers controlled the game in the second half, though Rodgers and the offence are clearly still struggling.

One thing I do know for certain is that no team deserves to lose on such a terrible officiating call, really was an unbelievable decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Say what you want about the 'blown call' last night in Seattle. Defense 101 - Defensive Backs should never try to intercept a 'Hail Mary'. You ALWAYS knock it to the ground/out of play. This is coached at EVERY level of play from Pop Warner up to the Pros. . Jennings did this to himself and his teammates.

That being said, this is the worst call that I have seen since Megatron's TD was overturned against the Bears two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did anyone watch last night?

I saw the 7mins hightlight reel online this morning.
    I know the final play / hail Mary was a travesty, it looked like GB weren't good enough to deserve the win anyway?

Anyone agree?

No. They "won" the game, fair and square. "Deserve" doesn't come into it.

Just looking at various reports of the game and it seems (to me) there were a lot of hometown decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Say what you want about the 'blown call' last night in Seattle. Defense 101 - Defensive Backs should never try to intercept a 'Hail Mary'. You ALWAYS knock it to the ground/out of play. This is coached at EVERY level of play from Pop Warner up to the Pros. . Jennings did this to himself and his teammates.

Huh? He clearly intercepted the ball and came down with it. You can go on about batting it down etc etc but it was the officials who lost the game for GB, not Jennings. He intercepted the ball....the idiot zebras blew the call AND THEN they couldn't even get it right after reviewing it where it was as clear as the stripes on their jerseys that Jennings caught and controlled the football!!!!!! MUPPETS.

Blaming Jennings for losing the game is quite bizarre!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Say what you want about the 'blown call' last night in Seattle. Defense 101 - Defensive Backs should never try to intercept a 'Hail Mary'. You ALWAYS knock it to the ground/out of play. This is coached at EVERY level of play from Pop Warner up to the Pros. . Jennings did this to himself and his teammates...

Not if he bats it into an Hawks players hands. He had full and firm control of possession it was a clean INT.
    The replacements refs adn the NFL for not sorting out the strike sooner have done this to the league and the Packers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Huh? He clearly intercepted the ball and came down with it. You can go on about batting it down etc etc but it was the officials who lost the game for GB, not Jennings. He intercepted the ball....the idiot zebras blew the call AND THEN they couldn't even get it right after reviewing it where it was as clear as the stripes on their jerseys that Jennings caught and controlled the football!!!!!! MUPPETS.

Blaming Jennings for losing the game is quite bizarre!!

This is Defense 101. You either knock it to the ground or you swat it out of bounds. You do not try to catch the ball in this situations. It is taught at every level of the game.

That being said, it was the worst call (on a few levels) that I have seen in a few years. The NFL's response was quite laughable as well. They did correctly state that they could not overturn the call, but they did not state that the original call was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Just about getting my head right after a long All-Ireland weekend and the news didn't get much better when saw the Green Bay result. Then to see the 'catch' that won the game, even more sickening.

Rodgers explained afterwards too of another f*ck up they made when the Packers went for the two-pointer after their last TD - they gave the offense a "K-ball" which is used for kickers for PAT's and is a different feel to a normal ball. He reckons it left his hand differently. Now whether or not this made a major difference to the incomplete pass or not, it just shows how much of a clue these officials don't have in these situations.

This weekend's game against New Orleans is now massive as 1-3 would be incredibly difficult to fight our way back from to make the playoffs. Luckily they aren't going all that well with the suspensions and whatnot so we should be able to take them at home.

This weekend's game against New Orleans is now massive as 1-3 would be incredibly difficult to fight our way back from to make the playoffs. Luckily they aren't going all that well with the suspensions and whatnot so we should be able to take them at home.

Saints are in for a severe backlash.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Saints are in for a severe backlash.

What I'm thinking too.. Rodgers is 10-3 ATS after a loss and with the line at 7.5 for the weekend it could be a heavy defeat.

• Advertisement

I know its cliched, but this game is our cup final.

I know its cliched, but this game is our cup final.

+1. This game will mostly likely define our season.

If we can't kick-start our offense, in front of a revved-up Lambeau crowd, against a stuttering, unimpressive Saints defense, four games into the season, with all our A(-rod) team fit, then there is little prospect of us salvaging anything this year.

Sky have chosen the perfect game, god bless 'em:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

So.... talk about disapointing!

letting an 18 point lead slip, despite an inspired R Wayne/ A Luck 2nd have is almost unforgivable.

It will take something special to beat the Texans next week.

The worst thing is just how drab and lacklustre they seem to be. If they were crap but gave it their all and went down fighting you'd say something. But it just seems all so underwhelming. Didn't see any replay of Crosby's last kick, did he bottle it or was the ball incorrectly placed? It was awful, but almost fitting really.

I didn't see a close replay but in real time the snap and placement seemed ok.

The kick itself was just horribly hooked, it's trajectory took it 15 yards wide left.

For what its worth, the 1st half display seemed fine.

Luck was under all manner of pressure and Rogers was secure in his pocket.

Then it all fell apart.... 5 sacks in the 2nd half!
    The "D" came up with some good plays in the 2nd half, but we couldnt stop critical 3rd down conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Last night's loss means the Pack wll have to be tuned in to top NFC North.

Is it 2-3 now for them while the Bears moved to 4-1.
    Still a long way to go of course and the Bears still have to go to Wisconsin but if your going to be dropping games, it should be against better teams than the Colts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭cosatron

can someone please explain how the f**k we've gone from being the no1. defence in 2010 to that pile of poo we witnessed in the second half against a rookie Q.B and an past it wide out. god on there last play for the td, i even knew he would throw to wayne and we still couldn't keep him out. i actually got a bit depressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

In my head it goes like this " ok guys great season...time to work on new defensive plays....what have you got for us??

Well we let them do what they want,we'll send out AR and win.
    Seriously watch.
    Que 16-1 season....holy **** that actually worked. Ok what's the plan on defence this year?? Same as last year?? Excellent.

How about offence?? Just give the ball to AR ?? Week it worked last year..... I see no flaw in this plan

The biggest disappointment is that any progress that the team appeared to be making in all three areas of offense, defense and special teams just crumbled in the second-half.:confused:

Fair play to Colts they played with far greater commitment, desire and intensity. The Packers appear to have grown staid and complacent, lacking passion and flair.:(

Hopefully they will feel the huge groundswell of anger, shock and disappointment from the fans and this loss will reignite the season before it is too late.

• Advertisement

Great win on the road! And Rodgers hits form! And just like that he's leading the league in passer rating and TD passes.

2 great TD catches by James Jones, plus the defence came up with turnovers.

Things are starting to look up.

Rodgers has thrown 13 TDs in his last 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Thank ****. Packers D play a stormer, offence plays a cracker with one exception. Finlay. Fir the money he's on he should be able catch. He's a dropper. Easy balls quick balls hard balls when i see it go towards him i never expect him to catch it.

It wad nice to see a running game. If he can rock that kind of run game for a few games teams qill have to stop dropping so far back which will help AR. Cobb is a star in the making imo when i see him on kick returns i worry that hell take a bad hit and rule him out fir a few games. Jones has continued his impressive form and looks like he could be a big player too.

Matthews was beastly as always, good to see hawke get sone recignition as I think hes quite a decent player. For the life of me i cant remember the rookie with the two ints name but the one he batted to himself was brilliant.

Downside....wtf was with the punt! **** you injuries, curious to see how we woulda done without all the game changing first down penalties

Arawn wrote: »
    Matthews was beastly as always, good to see hawke get sone recignition as I think hes quite a decent player. For the life of me i cant remember the rookie with the two ints name but the one he batted to himself was brilliant.

Casey Hayward, he's starting to come into it a bit more now - 3 INT in the last two weeks. Badly needed with Shields going off and the way our secondary has been the last couple of seasons.

DJ Smith and Brandon Saine have been lost for the season. :(

On the other hand, the injuries to Shields and Perry don't appear too serious and they might not miss any time.

So now Woodson is out for 6 weeks.

Poor start to the season, rash of injuries - fighting through adversity - shades of 2010 perhaps ;)

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    So now Woodson is out for 6 weeks.

Poor start to the season, rash of injuries - fighting through adversity - shades of 2010 perhaps ;)

If we can get over the Jags and Cardinals and get to 6-3 going into the bye week I'll be happy enough. It nearly becomes a mini playoff for us from there on in with 5 of the last 7 games all within the division.

Dead right.... those two games against the Vikings late on could define the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Last night more or less puts the Lions out of contention for the division.

Think 4 of the last 6 for the Bears are divisional games, similar run in as the Packers

Hey lads. Been offline for awhile I've relocated to Calgary in Canada so took some time out to get things organised but I've seen plenty of NFL over here been great for coverage. Good to see many new faces on the page and more activity for the Pack!

As for the team I've been very impressed witht the D, they've been given teh chacne to step-up and ahve done so at a good pace. Woodson out is a lose but you know what it gives us another spot for someone to go fight for.

Rodgers has started ticking over now but with Nelson probable and Driver out I really hope to see Jones and Finley catch some balls.

Cobb.... what can I say! If he keeps up this he will seriously be a contender for Off MVP!

oh yea.. Go STAMPS! :p

• Advertisement

There is big question mark over whether Mason Crosby can pull out of his slump quickly enough for McCarthy not to lose patience with him and replace him with another kicker.

I would find it hard to believe, that after Cosby's abysmal display against the Lions, that Ted Thompson isn't looking through his file of available kickers and noting their agent's phone numbers!

Advertisement