Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

Mark Murphy calls Rodgers a complicated fellow.

I'd say by this stage a lot of Packers fans would call him a lot worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mark Murphy calls Rodgers a complicated fellow.

I'd say by this stage a lot of Packers fans would call him a lot worse...

Correct; this lad is screwing up the most iconic team in the NFL.

Was well treated and well payed by the Packers, I was a fan for a long time, but this behaviour is despicable.

He had a chance to be a legend, he could end up being vilified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

He'll still be a legend even if he pulls some very diva-ish behaviour to end his time in Green Bay to be fair. Look at how Favre got rehabilitated in the fans eyes once he eventually retired, despite his move to the Vikings of all places before that.

It is ridiculous though. A very easy compromise for everyone would seem to be he plays one more season in GB and gets traded once the season ends next February. No drama, no problems, everyone wins. Its only 8 months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Blut2 wrote: »
    He'll still be a legend even if he pulls some very diva-ish behaviour to end his time in Green Bay to be fair. Look at how Favre got rehabilitated in the fans eyes once he eventually retired, despite his move to the Vikings of all places before that.

It is ridiculous though. A very easy compromise for everyone would seem to be he plays one more season in GB and gets traded once the season ends next February. No drama, no problems, everyone wins. Its only 8 months away.

I suppose the problem is that if they actually told him that was going to happen this summer why would he believe them when they say one more year and then you can go?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Correct; this lad is screwing up the most iconic team in the NFL.

Was well treated and well payed by the Packers, I was a fan for a long time, but this behaviour is despicable.

He had a chance to be a legend, he could end up being vilified.

How can you say he's screwing us up. He isn't , he has issues with those above him and he's not happy being fed false promises. Its been that way for a long time.

• Advertisement

LMHC wrote: »
    How can you say he's screwing us up. He isn't , he has issues with those above him and he's not happy being fed false promises. Its been that way for a long time.

No kidding?

Let’s have your amazing insight as to what his issues are please.

I say this because none of the professional journalists who have worked for years on the Packers know what his actual issues are?

I’m all ears…..my friend.

No kidding?

Let’s have your amazing insight as to what his issues are please.

I say this because none of the professional journalists who have worked for years on the Packers know what his actual issues are?

I’m all ears…..my friend.

They don't know what his issues are? Take it you missed the documentary on YouTube regarding it. If you aren't willing to educate yourself on the matter I won't take it on me to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Rodgers gave his issues and to be honest I found them understandable and I was kind of siding with him. I hate to say but the longer this is going on though the more I am swaying towards showing him the door. This is dragging on way too long. He needs to sh*t or get off the pot now. Keeping the fans in Limbo isn't doing anyone any good. If you want to go then come out publicly and ask for a trade. If you want to stay then get back training and sort out a deal.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Rodgers gave his issues and to be honest I found them understandable and I was kind of siding with him. I hate to say but the longer this is going on though the more I am swaying towards showing him the door. This is dragging on way too long. He needs to sh*t or get off the pot now. Keeping the fans in Limbo isn't doing anyone any good. If you want to go then come out publicly and ask for a trade. If you want to stay then get back training and sort out a deal.

I agree I was totally on his side but its just dragging on its not good for team or fans nor him. I pray to god he stays Love doesn't do it for me.

They don't know what his issues are? Take it you missed the documentary on YouTube regarding it. If you aren't willing to educate yourself on the matter I won't take it on me to do so.

Sure I did……vague nebulous stuff.

Rodgers is paid to play QB, Gutekunst/Murphy/LeFluer are paid to manage.

When the players want to take over the management role it’s trouble.

In the last 10 years other than the Pats, the Packers have been the most successful and consistent team in the league.

They don’t do that with bad management.

• Advertisement

Sure I did……vague nebulous stuff.

Rodgers is paid to play QB, Gutekunst/Murphy/LeFluer are paid to manage.

When the players want to take over the management role it’s trouble.

In the last 10 years other than the Pats, the Packers have been the most successful and consistent team in the league.

They don’t do that with bad management.

Management can't run plays with out a competent QB. Chiefs mahomes, Bucs TB , Cardinals Kyler , Green Bay Aaron.

Execution comes from the QB he should be appeased.

Management can't run plays with out a competent QB. Chiefs mahomes, Bucs TB , Cardinals Kyler , Green Bay Aaron.

Execution comes from the QB he should be appeased.

Depends how much ‘appeasement’ he wants.

Where have the Chiefs, the Bucs, the Cards been over the past 15 seasons

Nowhere is the answer.

Depends how much ‘appeasement’ he wants.

Where have the Chiefs, the Bucs, the Cards been over the past 15 seasons

Nowhere is the answer.

Do you believe we would be as successful without Aaron.

I agree I was totally on his side but its just dragging on its not good for team or fans nor him. I pray to god he stays Love doesn't do it for me.

How exactly has Love not done it for you in his 0 games to date?

How exactly has Love not done it for you in his 0 games to date?

You think I've not seen Love play, hahah OK listen I'll leave the threads the casual vibes here is a bit much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

You think I've not seen Love play, hahah OK listen I'll leave the threads the casual vibes here is a bit much for me.

Very strange answer. Bar college he hasn't played a single game. I suppose you probably hopped on a flight and have been in the trenches watching him work out in Green bay the last two weeks while us meer fools are stuck in Ireland.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Very strange answer. Bar college he hasn't played a single game. I suppose you probably hopped on a flight and have been in the trenches watching him work out in Green bay the last two weeks while us meer fools are stuck in Ireland.

This guy, LM is, in my opinion, is ‘flim-flamming’ and got caught out.

Rodgers is a great QB but is not above the team

The team need Rodgers,but Rodgers also needs the team.

This issue has been festering for too long.

If you've somehow seen Love play competitively for the Packers I'd love to know how. If only to get something of whatever it is you're smoking...

Packers need to sort this out soon.

Get rid of Rogers, before the poison goes all through the team.

Pull the trigger Murphy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No real urgency on the Packers to do anything really. Anything they get in a trade would only be 2022 draft picks so they may as well wait it out

Either he comes back and plays or he sits out the season, which is pretty unlikely.

Either way his trade value will be just as high next off-season as it is now, possibly higher and more potential trade partners, more teams with cap space etc.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    No real urgency on the Packers to do anything really. Anything they get in a trade would only be 2022 draft picks so they may as well wait it out

Either he comes back and plays or he sits out the season, which is pretty unlikely.

Either way his trade value will be just as high next off-season as it is now, possibly higher and more potential trade partners, more teams with cap space etc.

What I was getting at ADRIAN , was not really Rodgers himself, but the effect this stuff has or may have on the team.
    One of the many great strengths the Packers organisation have is they connect with the town, the fans, and the State.

These people won’t like unrest being fomented from within, and certainly won’t like a player who has been with the team for so long being involved.

This stuff is bound to cause unrest and that’s the reason I would be apprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The relationship between the team and the players is exactly the same as every other team in the league, a business relationship where decisions are made based on business principles. The Packers aren't special. Unrest among fans doesn't make a lick of difference to the teams success, and nobody on the team gives a **** if the fans are restless. If the team is winning they'll soon settle down, if the team is losing, then the fans will turn on them. So if they cut Rodgers and then lose a lot, the fans certainly won't be praising the team for cutting him and settling the matter. And if they win the fans will forget about rodgers. Whatever the opinion of fans is now is irrelevant and can be ignored, their opinion will be determined for them by results.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You've always had your finger on the pulse of packer nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

I seen him on instagram promoting some golf game with Phil mick and Tom brady.

GB really need to sort this out, shafted him last year with the picks and he got to a conf final, really need him back to work with this offense,C could go all the way this year.

Or he doesn't come back and i don't know how low we go.

The relationship between the team and the players is exactly the same as every other team in the league, a business relationship where decisions are made based on business principles. The Packers aren't special. Unrest among fans doesn't make a lick of difference to the teams success, and nobody on the team gives a **** if the fans are restless. If the team is winning they'll soon settle down, if the team is losing, then the fans will turn on them. So if they cut Rodgers and then lose a lot, the fans certainly won't be praising the team for cutting him and settling the matter. And if they win the fans will forget about rodgers. Whatever the opinion of fans is now is irrelevant and can be ignored, their opinion will be determined for them by results.

I wouldnt agree with that summing up, but of course you are entitled to your opinion.

To suggest that unrest amongst the fans “doesn’t make a lick of difference”
    to the teams success and nobody gives a ****, is difficult to justify.

The Packers have a unique set up in management structure,different to every other team in the league.

They had this before with Favre, and the bitterness is still there to an extent.

I would suggest that a resolution to the issue would be prudent before sides are taken and the team spirit is damaged, maybe not now but further down the line.

They had this before with Favre, and the bitterness is still there to an extent.

Think Favre was more popular...and that's gotta sting Rodgers. There were pro Favre protests outside Lambeau.

Favre was more of a wears heart on sleeve type. I think this time around, amongst Packers fans, there is a perception that Rodgers has tried to engineer this, and been a bit too clever by far and arrogant.

Most people realised in Favre's last few years he really was just that indecisive about retiring or not. He wasn't playing some subtle mind game, he was just very conflicted about it himself.

Obviously thats still incredibly frustrating for an organization, a fanbase, and a young QB-to-be waiting in the wings. But there was no malice in it. Which is probably why people forgave him quite quickly once he'd actually moved on.

The Rodgers debacle is a lot more complicated, with a lot more political maneuvering on his part. I personally think his reputation will come out of it a lot worse because of that.

Most people realised in Favre's last few years he really was just that indecisive about retiring or not. He wasn't playing some subtle mind game, he was just very conflicted about it himself.

Obviously thats still incredibly frustrating for an organization, a fanbase, and a young QB-to-be waiting in the wings. But there was no malice in it. Which is probably why people forgave him quite quickly once he'd actually moved on.

The Rodgers debacle is a lot more complicated, with a lot more political maneuvering on his part. I personally think his reputation will come out of it a lot worse because of that.

I agree totally with your observation there.

Personally I feel that Brady’s bought in win for Tampa Bay has influenced a lot of this stuff.

If it can be done for Brady why can’t it be done for me ?

Forget about long term, forget about fan base, forget about tradition, just blow your wad on one big campaign, and prepare to spend years in the wilderness.

Not the Packers way of doing things, and I would fully support their modus operandi.

Hope the ethos of the team always remains in those parameters.

Yup, agreed, I'd say thats a big factor.

It'll take an older QB (Rodgers? Wilson?) playing hardball, moving to an all-in team that goes nowhere, and getting a bit screwed to reset the market in that regard I'd say.

• Advertisement

Yup, agreed, I'd say thats a big factor.

It'll take an older QB (Rodgers? Wilson?) playing hardball, moving to an all-in team that goes nowhere, and getting a bit screwed to reset the market in that regard I'd say.

A lot will depend on how Tampa Bay perform next season and following one.

If they do well and contend, I can see aging QBs getting restless and hankering to Jack in their team for a last chance of bought in glory.

Not a good outlook , in my opinion.

Advertisement