Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

A lot will depend on how Tampa Bay perform next season and following one.

If they do well and contend, I can see aging QBs getting restless and hankering to Jack in their team for a last chance of bought in glory.

Not a good outlook , in my opinion.

It's already happened in Detroit, with Stafford getting fed up with the Lions inability to build a contending team. He has since mentioned seeing Brady move on and see instant success kinda swayed him to do the same.
    Actually don't blame him at all. Would like to see him do well & maybe finally get to the latter stages of the playoffs.

As for the Lions they are starting a rebuild, but very happy with the new regime thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

A lot will depend on how Tampa Bay perform next season and following one.

If they do well and contend, I can see aging QBs getting restless and hankering to Jack in their team for a last chance of bought in glory.

Not a good outlook , in my opinion.

I can understand why any guy with only a couple of years of play left in him would want to go somewhere that they are set up to succeed now instead of focusing on a longer term that won't include them. BUT! Will other aging QBs be willing to take smaller paychecks to enable the team to surround them with talent? Seems like a lot of these guys overlook that Brady takes less money than they do when they are envying his success. Can't see Aaron Rodgers accepting Brady's level of pay.

I know Brady is in a nice position financially to do this stuff, but either way, no team could put together a roster like in Tampa that quickly if they had to pay Rodgers' current wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,055 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I can understand why any guy with only a couple of years of play left in him would want to go somewhere that they are set up to succeed now instead of focusing on a longer term that won't include them. BUT! Will other aging QBs be willing to take smaller paychecks to enable the team to surround them with talent? Seems like a lot of these guys overlook that Brady takes less money than they do when they are envying his success. Can't see Aaron Rodgers accepting Brady's level of pay.

I know Brady is in a nice position financially to do this stuff, but either way, no team could put together a roster like in Tampa that quickly if they had to pay Rodgers' current wages.

Valid points for sure….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

tomorrow is the first day of training camp, will he show up, i doubt it. but himself and adams tweeted a picture of MJ and Pippen referencing the last dance but it was taken down. so who knows. I think if they come an agreement of 1 more season and go for a superbowl and trade him at the end of the year and i dont think we going to pay adam top wr money as we can't afford it.

Looks like Rogers is going to be the starting QB for the Packers in 2021.

Reliable sources say will start for the 21/22 season and then “we’ll see’, apparently he will be under contract but the Packers can’t tag him so they can trade him.

What I was always afraid of was that ‘unrest’ would spill over into the rest of the team,and it seems it had with Adams, ZSmith, and even Bakctiari rumbling a bit.

Training camp starts tomorrow Wed. and it would be good to be ‘stabilized’ before the end of tc.

Some talks about Randall Cobb coming back too.

All reportage right now, let’s see how it pans out………😫

sorry training camp starts Tue.

• Advertisement

Reccomend this pad for Packers fans in the coming season.

Purely based on personal listening

Ok so the Packers lost against the Texans,but I’m not concerned.

Texans had a lot of starters playing, Packers were working the bottom of the roster.

I’m not panicking.😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya was pretty much a complete 3rd string. Love did well all things considered. Seems to have picked up an injury though and might not be playing this week against the Jets. Would be nice to see him get one game olin pre-season with a strong offensive line and a few first team receivers.

Josh Jackson traded to the Giants for Issac Yiadom. Can't say I know anything about him.

Not exactly stellar, it seems but worth a punt.

Injury not bad apparently, got it when stripped of the ball while throwing.

Would like to see him behind a stronger OL and better receivers if only for a couple of series.

• Advertisement

Devin Funchess released……pity …. was looking forward to his contribution for 2021.

ESB might have dodged a bullet.

Ya such a pity about Funchess. I think himself and Rodgers would have done serious damage and taken a little heat off Davante. Can't really see another top WR in the team at the moment. Could be relying heavily on Tonyan and Cobb now.

Lazard is decent and MVS has looked ok at times but can't be relied on.

Would be great to pick up another WR before the season starts but don't think it will happen.

Bakhtiari out for the first 6 weeks. Left on the PUP list. Huge loss for the Packers. Better to have him miss the first six though and hopefully available for a run in from there.

Reckon Elgton Jenkins will fill the gap pretty well.

I certainly would trust him.

I’m pretty happy about the 52 they stripped it down to.

Some new faces in there who show promise.

Surprised that Jk was cut but apparently he was paying more attention to his church in Alabama

than preperation for the new season and his NFL career.

There ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Stupid question, thinking of subbing to nfl gamepass. I know full highlights will be available which will be a great way to watch the Packers games but will some of the live games be blocked?

They are supposed to have games on sky sports blacked out but I don't think I have ever seen one blacked out over the last 4 years. Get a cousin in Brazil to sign up for you.

Right can of pïss display in Jacksonville.

It was shocking to watch last night. Absolutely desperate all over the place.

I'm just hoping that's the kick in the arse the team needed because leading up to it and even during the game it seemed like a team waiting for it to just happen for them or that they had the god given right to come away with the win. Lots of talk before the game but nothing backed up.

luckily for us the nfc north went 0-4. I won't pass any judgement on any players or coaches until after the lions game, hopefully it was just a once off sh*tshow.

The funny thing is, Rodgers thought he was very cute and handled everything well, his silence as rumours grew, the selective leaks of his thoughts through friends, his snide contempt for the media, his attempts to win over players like Adams.

And it seems to be backfiring spectacularly. It's as if he forgot his silent tantrum and behind the scenes politicking could damage the team as well. And that, ultimately, matters far more than who said what in a tweet.

Judging by the reaction after the weekend, if that level of performance continues, he could find that any support left disappears very quickly.

• Advertisement

I'm with you on that .

This team took the field an Sunday as a bunch of individuals, not a team.

Everybody seemed to expect ‘someone else ‘ to do their job.Rogers just sat on the sideline and seemed to give the impression of not caring and little leadership that I saw on the screen

Game to an extent was like the Bucs games, tight man to man coverage and when a GB receiver or runner got the rock he was immediately cut down for small or no gain.

Saints let’s not forget made excellent athletic receptions on numerous occasions, the kind that GB could not make.

SAints also had Kamara at full speed before hitting the Packers tacklers and could get three or four more yards after contact., whereas both Dillon and Jones were barely off their line.

Huge improvement needed for Lions game, particularly in energy attitude and enthusiasm.

Nothing other than a dominating performance will convince me that the Packers will figure in the final playoff picture this season.

MVS hinted that some “other things “ influenced the poor display, but when asked to elaborate declined to do so.

Will the week sort it out………we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Saints are a particularly well coached team, with a lot of quality players, who a lot of people were underestimating going to this season. So while that was awful to watch, and the team played terribly, I wouldn't be as pessimistic as some. The Saints absolutely took apart the Bucs last season and beat them 38-3 too, and Bucs still managed to win a Superbowl.

With all the psychodrama with Rodgers and a new defensive coach coming in a bit of rust coming into the first game was to be expected, too.

Though if theres a repeat of last week (or anything close to it) against the Lions we'll be in real, real trouble for the season.

You have good points there Mr B

Respected(up to last week) pundits were predicting easy victory for the Packers.

They were discounting the Saints O line yet apart from Zs hit ,Packers D couldn’t really get to JW.

Nothing new there says you!!

Memo to J Barry….. get to the QB because even a mediocre QB can do damage untouched.

After the debacle in Jax, it’s the Lions in Lambeau next.

Many are expecting a win, some an easy win, but I feel this will be a bit of a battle.

Lions have a new set up, lot of x Packers , competent QB in Goff and in my opinion won’t be a pushover.

Home advantage should shade it for the Pack but based on the Jax performance, defeat isn’t out of the equation.

Another lack lustre performance would be worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

While I'm certainly not expecting a walkover victory given the shambolic performance against the Saints, the Lions already had a competent (arguably better) QB in Stafford. Stafford had a bigger arm, was better under pressure, looked a more accurate passer into coverage. I know the Lions are building an O-line that looks like it could be very good, but I don't rate Goff as an improvement over Stafford.

Fully agree about the alarm bells going if it's a comparable performance to last weekend.

Had a look at the Lions Niners game and Lions are competent.

Stafford wanted out …. so good decision to let him go.

A lethargic performance certainly won’t beat the Lions.

one score win for the Packers?

🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

The bookies reckon the Packers by 12pts, so they're fairly confident in Rodgers coming out swinging. I'd agree (optimistically!), I expect a big performance in Lambeau and a comprehensive win.

(but I do agree that [i]if[/i] its a shambles again it really will be very, very worrying and probably indicate the season is lost)

I think a proper stomping is needed to get a bit of confidence back in the team; a win in a game that isn't put to bed well before the 4th quarter will inevitably be met with, 'it's only the Lions', no matter how much better Detroit look than in previous years.

No disagreement whatsoever that they were right to let Stafford go, and Goff is hardly a c-rate replacement, I just read your, 'competent QB' phrase as a suggestion that they didn't previously have a competent QB.

All that being said, I'm still only thinking Packers by 4.

No, sorry if I gave that impression, I always rated Stafford very highly, a very good QB on an average team.

• Advertisement

Nice to be on the same side of a discussion for once, Brendy. Maybe we'd do better together sticking to sports.

Advertisement