Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,163 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Professional football player? Professional jackass, more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It's a bad one in fairness. Didn't the Packers announce that they had like a 90% vaccination uptake. Not great that one of the leaders of the team is unvaccinated.

That rules him out for at least a week now you'd imagine. Maybe longer if he still tests positive next week. With a vaccination he could have potentially been back Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Blut2

With his first positive test early today (Nov 3rd) he'll be back in time for Sunday the 14th against the Seahawks even unvaccinated. The protocol is 10 days out for unvaccinated players.

But the real question is if he gets some form of punishment from the NFL for not obeying covid protocols until now. Not wearing masks on sidelines etc. It seems like he was getting away with ignoring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It's ten days if asymptomatic, no? Ten days post symptoms otherwise?

Word coming out of the camp is that he, 'followed protocols'. Apparently sideline without a mask is fine in outdoor stadia, but he has done press conferences inside the facility without a mask.

The biggest shock for me is that always having thought of Rodgers as a reasonably intellectual guy, hearing that he very selectively chose the word, 'immunised' rather than vaccinated because he had some f*cking homeopathic nonsense.

The fact other QB's that are unvaccinated have worn masks and followed all protocols it's going to cause a massive problem for the NFL as they seem to have let Rodgers away with it knowing full well he wasn't vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭cosatron

For some reason I'm still fairly confident for Sunday and looking forward to seeing what love can do. I say it will be a heavy dose of run game with allot of check downs. Also I don't think lefluer gets enough credit for how good of coach he is. If love ball outs and throws for over 400 yards with 4 td we could have a qb controversy again😁

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

I'm a huge Rodgers fan and love his weekly slot on the Pat McAfee show but considering the resources and restructuring that have been put into this season by the organisation, missing him for one or two games could be the difference between a 1 seed and a 2, 3, 4 etc and this could ultimately cost the team a Superbowl. I really can't believe it. I know that future games are all speculation and Jordan Love could win all the games he starts but it doesnt look great for Rodgers. The way he plays and any interview I have seen with him and especially on the McAfee show he is obviously a very intelligent man so this homeopathic thing is unexpected to say the least. I think the worst thing is that he said what he said back in August or whenever it was knowing that it would lead everyone to think that he was vaccinated. I actually can't wait to hear how he explains it all next Tuesday.

On a slightly related matter I always find that, especially in the small amount of Irish NFL media(who probably don't know the team that well to be fair), the Packers are considered to be a poor team outside Rodgers and to a lesser extent Davante and Jones and will be written off with him missing so we'll get to see can they be proved wrong this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Blut2

No, its just just 10 days in general.

"If he does have symptoms, at least 24 hours must have passed [before the game] since a fever was last detectable (and other symptoms, such as shortness of breath, have improved). Additionally (for those vaccinated or unvaccinated), a player must show two negative COVID-19 tests 24 hours apart and get clearance from a team physician."

Its extremely unlikely he'll be symptomatic by late next week, if he even is now.

I see calls for him to be suspended after the NHL handed down a hefty suspension to a player who claimed he was vaccinated when he wasn't.

It's not that surprising, I mean possibly the GOAT at Lambeau, but not nearly as clever as he thinks he is. Usually that's not a big flaw in sports, I almost assume sports stars are dumb, I don't need them to be clever. But putting his belief in wu wu crap instead of medicine and risking serious fallout for the franchise is more than the usual eyerolls at coaches or the front office or dissing journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,789 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The vaccinated and unvaccinated debate isn’t for the American football forum but what amazes me is that he let others believe he was vaccinated and so wasn’t subject to any protocols that are in place for those players. If he mislead the packers then that’s surely legal issues there. I mean he should know better IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,359 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

If I read you correctly, Rogers has shafted his team mates and disrespected the most respected franchise in the NFL.

I always respected his contribution to the Packers franchise, but this carry on and apparent bolloxology over vaxxing is a step too far.

I feel he should respect the GreenBay ethos and his team mates and not break up the unique set up in GB.

Lets put it this way, Jordan Love could very well have a cracker of a game at Arrowhead but this arse boxing by Rogers is doing his team and franchise not fokkkhing good at all.

This guy needs to stand up and stop fchuukkng up a possible SB season.

Arse boxing ? Haha you’ve a way with words Brendan in fairness to you. When it was reported he had covid I actually went back and looked because like many I remember it being reported that Aaron Rodgers was vaccinated against covid-19 and I found one article that a reporter said he was.

Yes one reporter asked if he was vaccinated and the response was “Yeah….I am immunised “

what is your point poster.?

my point is that Rogers has gone way too far here and that he is disrespecting his TEAMMATES and the unique GB ethos.

Guys have been getting surgery , serious surgery, to get back on the team and this dude it seems doesn’t bother to get vaxxed.

Not good enough….

The fact he has gone so long knowing full well people are under the impression he was vaccinated and never bothered to wear masks or follow any protocols is baffling. Will be interesting to hear if he was working out in the vaccinated weights room or the unvaccinated one as they segregate players for those work outs. If he has been in the vaccinated one it's safe to assume players also thought he was vaccinated which is a massive breach of the players trust.

Yep, that's it exactly. I think a lot of his battles have revealed a stupidity mixed with arrogance and sneakiness. But he's been so good in the only place that really matters, on the field. So who cared if he was being snide about journalists or even throwing other players or McCarthy under a bus, we felt he was the person getting the job done.

I thought the battle with front office revealed a willingness to screw the franchise. But he came back, got back to winning, and so we moved on.

But this one is jaw dropping, how did he face his teammates and fans day in, day out, being so arrogant as to think he and his witch doctor knew better, being so sneaky as to think lying (or playing with the word immunise) would answer any questions, and being so stupid to think it would never get out. Again, maybe results will bail him out, hopefully we'll look back in 2 weeks and think whew, bullet dodged, but he has taken a huge gamble. There is an irony in his need for the back up QB, who obviously was one of his previous victims, to step up and help him now.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Good synopsis Cee.

Isnt it amazing the similarities between the end years of Favres career and Rogers career.

On the field believe it or not this may not hurt the Packers too much as Rogers could be back for the Seattle game

and #10 could beat K C with a strong running game and improved defence.

What concerns me most is the damage done to the overall spirit and ethos of the team and their support.

There have been consistent rumblings going on all off season involving Rogers, People are getting pissed off with it.

Now when very well placed to make a SB run , this stuff crops up.

Rogers needs to stop the arse boxing get out there and clear up all these issues for once and for all for the sake of the club

He is terrific on the field, but the off the field stuff needs to be sorted, and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

I don't think theres any suggestion he misled the Packers or his teammates. They seemed to all know he wasn't vaccinated but it was still unbelievably sneaky the way he answered the question and misled the public into thinking he was vaccinated. Listening to the likes of Cole Beasley talking about the vaccine and God etc is actually painful but at least he owns it. Rodgers obviously knew that not being vaccinated would lead to a lot of questions and probably knew if the word homeopathy was mentioned he would be ridiculed (rightly so) and decided to be sly and almost cowardly about it including appearing to be vaccinated by not wearing a mask to press conferences.

Putting all that aside the main thing is that NFL rules mean that he now misses a game and possibly two that he may not have missed had he been jabbed so is he really doing everything in his power to help win this year? I did see somewhere that his now fiance Shailene Woodley is very into alternative treatments so maybe thats part of this but maybe not.

One possible silver lining is we get to see Jordan Love in a real game. This could show what we will be working with going forward or possibly show other teams that he is worth trading for at the end of the year (Lets be real here. If Rodgers wants to stay beyond 2022 everything in their power should be done to ensure he does).

As I said already I actually can't wait to see if he appears on Pat McAfee next week and hope they dont go easy on him. Either way he needs to come out and explain himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭cosatron

This could also be detrimental to his future in GB because if Love shows us that his the real deal on Sunday, Gute and Lefluer might let Rodgers off in the offseason and in all fairness you couldn't blame them, he was all over social media with his John Wicks Halloween costume and i presume that unvaccinated players would have to limit there social activities and close contacts but it looks like his doing the opposite.

And Aaron Rodgers was on pat Mcaffees show and he’s swinging for the fences and using his Fox News bingo card. Apparently the situation he finds himself in now is because of the woke mob and cancel culture and not because of him being vague about his vaccination status.

• Advertisement

i was under the impression I wrote that post in English. Which particular part Brendan ?

To be fair, I just watched the Pat McAfee interview. I think AR12 came across as a smug diva.....but I still struggled to follow your post.

I’ll ask again which part did you find difficult to follow ? I quoted what Aaron Rodgers said so again how was it hard to follow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,163 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It gets worse. He blamed the woke mob, and claims he's not anti-vax, but he's taking Ivermectin. He doesn't want to take the vaccine because he might go sterile. Hey, but he's a critical thinker.

To my reading, there isn't a single direct quote from AR12 in your post.....the bit that I'm struggling to follow is the entire structure of it. I think you're trying to make a connection between AR12 and Fox News, but it is genuinely very poorly structured.

I don't necessarily disagree with you; I just don't know what point you're trying to make.

My point Brendan was he made it appear he was vaccinated and more than a few journalists took it to mean he was vaccinated when was wasn’t.

In the interview today he directly mentioned the woke brigade by name and others including Fox News have used the same talking points about the vaccine. What is hard to at the very least understand the general point I’m making ?

The interview confirms the obvious, he has a really remarkable mix of stupidity and arrogance. Like, when you're caught, it's time to reach for the apology and grovel. Because people like that and people forgive and move on.

But not Aaron. He just keeps digging and digging because he cannot possibly be wrong. He doesn't do the grovel, he doesn't even go for the middle ground of "I respect their opinion", he goes into attack mode. And hauls out the same awful defence he used 2 weeks ago when criticised for swearing at Bears fans, anyone who differs is woke and he is the victim of cancel culture.

I'll say this much, after years of doing the "don't go there" when people threw out that line about his family not talking to him, I've come round to "and I think I understand why".

Some of what he said is really his own personal business and shouldn't really concern the fans, which is fair enough.

The biggest gripe I have with what he said was when he said if he was asked more questions he would have elaborated on it a bit more. He didn't even have to elaborate more, he could have just said straight out he wasn't vaccinated but had taken his own precautions and for personal reasons he isn't going to go into any more detail on it At least then the media personal he was in contact with regularly would have been aware. He can cut it whatever way he wants but he was being sneaky about it to the media.

Some of his points about the protocols being stupid are probably correct and a lot is just for the image of the NFL. He broke one clearly so I assume a fine is on its way to him.

Good to hear all his team mates have known the whole time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The Trump interview with Axios springs to mind...

Advertisement