Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Arawn wrote: »
    Crosby better be hoping he even makes the bench he'd probably go for it, miss and fall on his ass then again he'd probably miss the ground aswell

Sorry for Crosby, in fairness, but the Packers need to hire a new kicker.

Attempt for the first FG was terrible but to thwack one off the left upright and come straight back was pure bad luck.

can't understand why that totally boneheaded play with the lateral off to #10

was allowed to happen given the score and the time remaining.

Clay Matthews proved his value in this game, hurried and harassed Cutler and made a huge impact.

O-Line solid enough but the D made a great stand after the muff recovery.

One thing is for sure,Packers won't give their fans a sweat free game.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Just watched over the game there again yesterday - few observations.

They've clearly lost faith in Crosby's kicking. Going for it on 4th down when you're looking to go further ahead in the game is a sure sign of it. More importantly it looks as if Crosby has lost faith in his own kicking. Need to get this sorted before the post-season and by that, it's time to look elsewhere.

Like the post above Matthews makes a huge difference to our defence. Like earlier in the season, our DB's were able to double cover Marshall and then with the time made for the linebackers, they were able to get to Cutler at will. Of course, the Bears line is almost as bad as ours so they're going to have to up it again come the playoffs.

The refs did us a couple of favours with the Jeffreys calls but we were due a few to go our way! *cough* Seattle *cough*

Also, my dislike of Cutler has furthered somewhat after the game. :)

Our receiving corp has to be up there as one of the top 3 when it's on form. Cobb has been excellent, Finley (when he is able to catch) is a massive target, Jennings is back fit and Nelson is on the mend currently.

As for the lateral play from the punt return, I don't mind us trying trick plays like that. I mean, we turned the game on it's head earlier in the season against the Bears with the fake field goal attempt. If Cobb had thrown the ball in front of the guy and he'd gathered it properly, then he had acres in front of him for a TD and the game was over. Ok, so it was a dangerous time of the game to try it - but we seemed to have their offense in our pockets for most the game.

Word is that Greg Jennings and Jermichael might not be with the Pack next season.

Would not be unhappy with Tom Crabtree at TE

Also Charles Woodson could be cut loose.

Looking ahead,deals for BJ Raji and Matthews are pending, and further down the line Rogers.

BJ doing well recently following the ankle injury.

O-Line is a nice little situation.

Don Barclay is doing nicely at RT ..not stellar ..but.

That leaves Brian Bulaga and #1 draft pick Derek Sherrod to slot in somewhere?

Any musings on that situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Word is that Greg Jennings and Jermichael might not be with the Pack next season.

Would not be unhappy with Tom Crabtree at TE

Also Charles Woodson could be cut loose.

Looking ahead,deals for BJ Raji and Matthews are pending, and further down the line Rogers.

BJ doing well recently following the ankle injury.

O-Line is a nice little situation.

Don Barclay is doing nicely at RT ..not stellar ..but.

That leaves Brian Bulaga and #1 draft pick Derek Sherrod to slot in somewhere?

Any musings on that situation?
    Jennings wants one last long term deal and has said he doesn't want to be franchised. Finlay recently came out and said he wants to be a pack for life but he is in no way earning his money.

Matthews bj and Ar will be signed back no matter what.

Yeah we also need a decent o line.

Jennings wants one last long term deal and has said he doesn't want to be franchised. Finlay recently came out and said he wants to be a pack for life but he is in no way earning his money.

Matthews bj and Ar will be signed back no matter what.

Yeah we also need a decent o line.

Last I heard Jennings said he reckoned he would not be at GB next season.

Finley indeed is not earning the money but the lad does have the potential.

Agree on Matthews BJ and Rogers.

Now the O-Line:D

Saturday will have to go - not a long term guy at 37

TJ Lang and Sitton are good interior guys.

Leaves Bulaga,Newhouse, Dietrich-Smith, Sherrod, Barclay all young and youngish dudes.

Are they good enough?

Healthy ,I think they are.

Auld Chad was a big loss.

• Advertisement

Crosby

24 from 28 last season
    17 from 29 so far this season

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Now the O-Line:D

Saturday will have to go - not a long term guy at 37

TJ Lang and Sitton are good interior guys.

Leaves Bulaga,Newhouse, Dietrich-Smith, Sherrod, Barclay all young and youngish dudes.

Saturday is being replaced by Dietrich-Smith as soon as this Sunday. Driver is also said to be considering retirement. I can't imagine a receiving corps without Jennings and Driver. :eek: However, Cobb's rapid development and Jones' big statement this year augur well for the future.

Regarding Finley and Crabtree at TE, recall that they have Quarless and Ryan Taylor still on the books.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Saturday is being replaced by Dietrich-Smith as soon as this Sunday. Driver is also said to be considering retirement. I can't imagine a receiving corps without Jennings and Driver. :eek: However, Cobb's rapid development and Jones' big statement this year augur well for the future.

Regarding Finley and Crabtree at TE, recall that they have Quarless and Ryan Taylor still on the books.

Indeed he is, and it's not injury related.

Now as I see it, this is McCarthy AND Rogers putting it up to EDS to take the job over the next two games.

Hope he does well.

Driver and Jennings... don't worry too much.. great servants and all that ,but with Jones Cobb and Nelson around won't weaken the set up too much.

What puzzles me is why the Packers TEs are never stand outs in the concrete.

Like Witten, Gonzalez,Hakeem Nicks, dudes who can take the hits between the numbers and hang on.

Remember Chmura and Jackie Harris..and Keith Jackson.

Now i know they use them mainly as blockers ,remember Bubba Franks, but i would love to see a Pack TE wreaking havoc up the middle.

Jermichael has all the physical attributes:)

Indeed he is, and it's not injury related.

Now as I see it, this is McCarthy AND Rogers putting it up to EDS to take the job over the next two games.

Hope he does well.

Driver and Jennings... don't worry too much.. great servants and all that ,but with Jones Cobb and Nelson around won't weaken the set up too much.

What puzzles me is why the Packers TEs are never stand outs in the concrete.

Like Witten, Gonzalez,Hakeem Nicks, dudes who can take the hits between the numbers and hang on.

Remember Chmura and Jackie Harris..and Keith Jackson.

Now i know they use them mainly as blockers ,remember Bubba Franks, but i would love to see a Pack TE wreaking havoc up the middle.

Jermichael has all the physical attributes:)

Except for the ability to catch the ball for the most part

Except for the ability to catch the ball for the most part

You are not wrong there.

Yes, really needs to be able to catch and hang on in traffic.

Hope lives eternal!

• Advertisement

not even in traffic, In the last two season he has dropped some of the most basic catches kids in HS could make. And you know what I have everytime?? a ****ing giants fan beside me in the horrors laughing at him :(

not even in traffic, In the last two season he has dropped some of the most basic catches kids in HS could make. And you know what I have everytime?? a ****ing giants fan beside me in the horrors laughing at him :(

Yes , you are correct there too!! I feel your pain.

I'm going to cut him a bit of slack, injured early on, coming back to health now.

Go out and do it from now on.

Otherwise ,on yer bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Just a heads up gents:

BBC Radio 5 live have a 1hr documentry broadcast today.
    Its called "A week with the cheese heads".

Airs Sunday at 11am

Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Just to follow on from some of the observations made on the thread.

There is speculation that a few big names could be missing from the 2013 roster as the Packers adjust their cap to accommodate big new contracts for Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.

Woodson would cost a huge $13m to retain next year, which seems highly unlikely given the way the young safeties have played in his absence, plus his age and a dodgy collarbone.

Jennings seems to have accepted that Ted Thompson won't be willing to pay him $9.2m next season, not with Cobb, Nelson and Jones in competition for the WR spots and that he will be with a new team next year.

Finley's on-field performances this season have apparently resulted in the belief that he is not worth his due $7m pay out next season. Added to that his agent's comments that Rodgers is "not a good leader" has caused long-term resentment within the club.

A surprising rumour is that if A.J. Hawk's $7.1m isn't renegotiated down then he too could also be released.

With Driver and Saturday also on their way the Packer's roster is looking like it could be in for a big overhaul in the off-season

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Just to follow on from some of the observations made on the thread.

There is speculation that a few big names could be missing from the 2013 roster as the Packers adjust their cap to accommodate big new contracts for Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.

Woodson would cost a huge $13m to retain next year, which seems highly unlikely given the way the young safeties have played in his absence, plus his age and a dodgy collarbone.

Jennings seems to have accepted that Ted Thompson won't be willing to pay him $9.2m next season, not with Cobb, Nelson and Jones in competition for the WR spots and that he will be with a new team next year.

Finley's on-field performances this season have apparently resulted in the belief that he is not worth his due $7m pay out next season. Added to that his agent's comments that Rodgers is "not a good leader" has caused long-term resentment within the club.

A surprising rumour is that if A.J. Hawk's $7.1m isn't renegotiated down then he too could also be released.

With Driver and Saturday also on their way the Packer's roster is looking like it could be in for a big overhaul in the off-season

To be fair I personally don't think Aj is worth the 7.1....For that kind of money you'd expect Matthews like performances, while Hawk is solid he's not worth that money

To be fair I personally don't think Aj is worth the 7.1....For that kind of money you'd expect Matthews like performances, while Hawk is solid he's not worth that money

yes, you have a good point there.

Hawk has stepped up recently, in fairness,and maybe a renegotiate might be the outcome.

In my opinion Pack need punters to harrie the opposing QB.

You can't let dudes like Eli set their feet and have 'all day' to execute the pass.

Linebacker is the most problematic area in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I pointed that out in the thread,Great knowledge of the rules. Cobb is a future star. Well he already kinda is a star tbh!! Don't like seeing him on PR's for obvious reasons

I pointed that out in the thread,Great knowledge of the rules. Cobb is a future star. Well he already kinda is a star tbh!! Don't like seeing him on PR's for obvious reasons

Unlike our good friend Cowboys ex lad, Leon Lett.

Will see if I can dig up a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrU8z4w8T-4

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nicodemus93

Will we win it all?

• Advertisement

Starting to get that feeling! Cautiously though. Our defence was immence in the last game, yes it was a 4-10 team but last year our D would of given up a whole lot more. Ar is showing glimpses of his inhuman accuracy, his ability to avoid the sack, Our recievers are dropping balls a whole lot less, especially Finlay!

So possibly!

Will we win it all?

I feel better about things this season than I did at this time last season. That's heart ruling the head stuff, because last season clearly the stats said the Packers were very good and better than they are right now. I dunno, I was just uncomfortable with the whole favourites tag, the expectation levels.

Will we win it all?

If you would have asked that question at this time last season i think most NFL followers, not just Packer fans, would have answered yes.

Our offence seemed invincible, our defense though fragile looked like it could make big play turn-overs at crunch times.

Alas, it was all smoke and mirrors.

The Giants chewed up our weak O-line and spat out Rodgers whilst still being able to tie-up our WR's. Whilst our defense proved as effective as a tissue-paper roof:rolleyes:

This season the defense has been rejuvenated through the draft and the offense has had to become more adaptable and less one-dimensional but at times it still has the appearance of a team in transition and is not yet the finished article.

I think last year's experience was a huge learning curve for the Packers and I am sure they will go into this year's play-off's as a much better prepared and resilient team.

Pack D seems vulnerable to a big mobile TE who gashes us down the middle.

They need to close that gap , otherwise forget about a SuperBowl.

Hakeem Nicks has done it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Pack D seems vulnerable to a big mobile TE who gashes us down the middle.

They need to close that gap , otherwise forget about a SuperBowl.

Hakeem Nicks has done it twice.

Nicks is a WR. And is 6'1 so he's not massive either.

One of the biggest things this year has been our secondary's ability to limit yards after the catch somewhat more than previous years. Some of the attempts at making a tackle in the open field by numerous players were shocking bad before this year.

Also we dont seem to be giving up massive ****ing runs like we were last season. Our D is the highlight for me this year. The rookies really want to be at lambeau and are playing like it

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

yes, you have a good point there.

Hawk has stepped up recently, in fairness,and maybe a renegotiate might be the outcome.

In my opinion Pack need punters to harrie the opposing QB.

You can't let dudes like Eli set their feet and have 'all day' to execute the pass.

Linebacker is the most problematic area in my opinion.

How can you say LB is the problem area, 1 stud OLB, decent ILB's with Bishop to come back off IR & solid depth for special teams. Another monster opposite Matthews would be nice but I wouldnt write Perry off yet. This could also be helped by finding the next Cullen Jenkins @ DE to take some pressure off the OLB's.

O-Line is a shambles. We havent replaced Clifton, Tauscher or Wells over the last couple of years. Bulaga regressed massively before going on IR. Major help needed there. Rodgers is taking his life in his hands every snap!

How can you say LB is the problem area, 1 stud OLB, decent ILB's with Bishop to come back off IR & solid depth for special teams. Another monster opposite Matthews would be nice but I wouldnt write Perry off yet. This could also be helped by finding the next Cullen Jenkins @ DE to take some pressure off the OLB's.

O-Line is a shambles. We havent replaced Clifton, Tauscher or Wells over the last couple of years. Bulaga regressed massively before going on IR. Major help needed there. Rodgers is taking his life in his hands every snap!

Well apart from Matthews in my opinion the line backing corps is fairly average.

Hawk has upped his game recently but the rest are really not studs in any shape or form.

I exclude those out with injury of course.

Now can I take issue on the O-line, while it's not great ,in my opinion ,it's not a shambles either.

Most of them have age on their side and need a bit of time.

Barclay has done well at RT , EDS has had a good start at center, the two guards are servicable and Newhouse at LT is average.

#1 pick Sherrod has to come back from injury and surely Bulaga will improve with experience.

So not all bad surely:p

Now tonights game against Vikes will tell a lot, loud stadium,hostile environment, Vikes needing the win.

Will tell a lot about the O-line...on live Sky at 2100 by the way.

Should be very interesting in my view.

Nicks is a WR. And is 6'1 so he's not massive either.

One of the biggest things this year has been our secondary's ability to limit yards after the catch somewhat more than previous years. Some of the attempts at making a tackle in the open field by numerous players were shocking bad before this year.

Yes, I realise that, 6-1 208 , just using him as an example there.

The point is still valid though,I think the pack have trouble defending up the middle with a big mobile receiver.

I would also observe, that while the tackling has improved,some of the open field attempts are still terrible.

AP will test that out tonight.

Good luck!!

• Advertisement

Also we dont seem to be giving up massive ****ing runs like we were last season. Our D is the highlight for me this year. The rookies really want to be at lambeau and are playing like it

The D has gone from a bottom two ranking to a top 10 ranking which is a massive improvement. It's not just the rookies who are responsible either as veterans have really upped their game.

Burnett would get my D player of the year, replacing Collins was a massive ask especially at his young age plus Jennings and rookie McMillian have done a great job in place of Woodson at FS.

Neal, Worthy and Daniels surely have done enough for people to forget about Jenkins! Those guys have a great future ahead of them in our D-line. If we can draft a good replacement for Pickett to join Raji and Wilson we will be well set up for a good few seasons.

Advertisement