Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

i think rodgers will play until its mathematical impossible to make the playoffs. Some of the throws he missed today were the worst of his career and the play calling on the last four downs were god awful. they had time to nip away at the yardage but threw it badly into the endzone 4 times. Twitter is having a field day with this and to compound it Gary has done his acl and is out for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

True, they haven't had to tank a season in modern history because they've had two long lasting HOF QBs in a row. But theres always time to start...

It'll definitely be difficult to justify paying Rodgers to sit on the bench (and he'll probably throw a strop) but is there really any alternative? The Packers are currently sitting at #9 in the draft to come, with one of the tougher schedules to come. So theres every chance they could end up with a top 5 pick if the rest of the season tanks due to giving Love a chance. If Rodgers keeps playing and ekes out a few wins it'll just be another middling 15ish draft pick where all the top QBs will be gone.

And theres always a chance that the management team gets vindicated and Love actually develops into a decent QB when finally given a run of 5+ games to make the position his. Slim chance mind you, but still its almost certainly worth more to the team to try that than have Rodgers play the remaining games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Well at last a win……not expected by me anyway.

Hopefully Will instil some confidence in the team especially Watson.

Tough team incoming Thur. Titans test us to the limit.

Nice to get the W…..at last

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

Having that field stretcher in Watson is massive for this team. He really needs to stay healthy. It just changes they way the other team have to defend and leaves gaps for Dillon and moreso Jones to run through. Staying with the run the whole way through paid dividends too. The Cowboys didn't help themselves especially at the end with penalties and questionable play calls but you couldn't say the Packers didn't deserve to win.

Saw a stat that Amari Rodgers has 8 career catches and 7 fumbles. He does ok on offence but he can't be returning punts or kickoffs ever again. Those fumbles are 100% on the coaches persisting with him. Its not like he is explosive when he doesn't drop it so how he is still on returns is beyond me.

well that was awesome. First time all year we played 4 quarters and run first offence. Delighted for Watson, looks a serious talent. Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

Great to see a connection between Watson and Rodgers but thats a bad result for the team long term. It'll inspire unjustified confidence they can run the table and make the playoffs so they'll chase wins, and keep Love on the bench. It'll end up with a 7-10 season, missing the playoffs, still no idea if Love can play or not, and a draft pick well down the table.

Would have been much better to lose it, write off the season, put Love in for a few games to see what hes made of, and get a high draft pick to potentially draft a top rated QB if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Play him to Fvck anyway I'd say. Of he sinks, then do as you say. If he burns it up, then great, build a team around him.

No point drafting another top QB without trying this one out - are they gonna use them for spare parts 🙄😁.

Body language again between AR and LeFluer suggest this relationship is done.

Bit early to start tanking,man,still in the hunt.

Lets see what we have in this team before sinking the season.

Thursday night will answer a lot of questions.

I really hate the the whole idea of not doing everything you can to win, and all that "Suck for Luck" stuff. I appreciate that there is something to giving a new QB playing time, and I'm tired of Rodgers and all his antics and petulance. But I think he gives them the best chance of staying in the hunt.

In my opinion, this team as it is is going nowhere. They might scrape into the playoffs from here, but the first good team they play will knock them out. Then what....?

Don't change anything, expect a different result, insanity and all that. Change it up,this is going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Well Amari Rodgers isn't on punt returning duty any more....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Sad to see for a young fella but he clearly wasn't up to it.

Another casualty of the Packers 3rd round draft curse.

Yes, thought he might get a final chance at WR where he was drafted for but all in all his record at fumbling

was off the scale.

wish the lad well.

Well that's surely the end of that. I only saw the youtube highlights but there seemed to be a lot of 3rd and 10+ happening. Rodgers looked to have a poor game and the secondary also looked poor against what I think was the 32nd ranked passing offence. There is definitely a lot of talent in the defence but they are somehow a lot less than the sum of their parts.

Watson really looks like he could be a WR1 which is a positive and how Amari Rodgers was returning anything ahead of Nixon is beyond me.

They can't really do anything until they are mathematically out of it (Which could be a while yet the way the NFC is going) but you'd wonder will we get a look at Love sooner than later.

consistently inconsistent, best describes this year's version of Green Bay packers. Whoever was responsible for choosing to go with zone coverage should be sacked immediately. Rodgers was poor again tonight, i thought he would kick on after the dallas game. Only positive is Watson is going to be stud.

Been consistent, consistently poor this year.

Everything else aside and I've said this before but how the hell was Amari Rodgers returning kickoffs ahead of Keisean Nixon.

Difficult to figure,for sure, however let’s not empty the bag after one good game.

How in foohks name can we not get a decent defensive co-ordinator…….Capers…Pettine..Barry…all duds.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

I'd fire Barry now. Utterly hopeless after going all in on D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whatever about Barry and Petine, Capers got a lot of stick from you guys but his Packers defense was almost always top 10 in the league and top five a few times during his tenure. I always thought he was unfairly criticised.

They do look awful now though.

Yes, you have a point there, I think of the three as it turned out he probably was the best.

In my long time following the Packers, they rarely seemed to have a tough hard nosed defence which made the opposition earn every yard.

Hopefully they can change that.

I think capers had his best defence with seasoned vets and dynamic safety play, when nick collins got injured, he was never replaced properly and as a consequence capers defence suffered and not being able to handle Kapernick in playoff games turned allot of fans against him and putting Ladaruis gunter on Julio jones in the nfc championship game was another poor call.

Packers never seem to be able to handle a mobile QB.

They better learn fast as that’s the way the game is going!

I dont know if there was ever a point when any packers fan thought Barry was a good appointment. I'd fire him straight away. The talent is definitely there on defense but as a whole they are awful especially against the run.

I saw somewhere that 33 points would have beaten the 9-1 eagles in all but 2 games this year.

Looking at positives it is exciting to see what Watson and Doubs look like together.

Despite the loss I think that was a great evening for the team:

• Watson looks the real deal
    • Love was much better than expected in his cameo
    • Another injury for Rodgers gives the coaches an easy excuse to put him on IR and let Love play, instead of having the difficulty/drama of benching Rodgers
    • Moving up the 2023 draft order

Once you accept this season is done (which it had been for weeks) there were lots of longer term positives to focus on.

I agree on the positives but the only problem there is that in typical Packers fashion they could very well win the last 5 games, miss the playoffs, not see any more of Love and end up with like the 13th-18th pick in the draft. I think Rodgers said on McAfee today that he will play this weekend.

If they lose to the Bears on Sunday I think they could be into top 3 draft pick territory. The Bears are one game back and currently would pick 2nd I think.

I don't think there is any easy way to move forward in the next 2-3 years and there will have to be tough decisions made by the front office before they decide if they are picking up Love's 5th year option or not. Cutting Rodgers/him retiring this offseason would leave €40m of dead cap next year but I think as the years go on that number gets higher so whenever he goes it could be astronomical unless the overall cap goes up massively.

I think rodgers stays and plays next year, but trying to keep love will be very tricky as the 5th year option will be 20 odd mill so that 60 mill tied up with Q.Bs.

Despite a win over the Bears a lot of improvement needed from the Pack.

Once again knifed by a mobile QB .

Improved in the second half when they took what they got and with a vital pick from #23 eased to a win.

The D again looked shaky and gave up numerous 3rd downs.

I would have no confidence in Joe Barry

• Advertisement

I'd agree and would hope that he will be gone the day the season ends as it doesn't look likely at this stage that he will be fired mid-season. A lot of the defensive players have taken a step back but the overall scheme is his responsibility and at times it is absolutely awful.

They really look like they have one (Or two with Doubs) in Watson. Nobody seems to be able to live with him once he gets up to speed.

Advertisement